Airfix 1/72nd He 111P-1

After doing the Airfix Phantom last year, i have been really looking forward to doing anotehr of their new tooled kits. Though the kit is a P-2, i am building it as a P-1 useing AM decals. Only differance is the radio's.

spacer.png

Right from the off, i saw this kit had some lovely detail. Having spent a few week scratch build the rear compartments of a hasegawa He 111Z, i was really pleased to see the level of detail in this kit. The Eduard PE does add nicely to whats already there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

As i am doing a pre war aircraft, i decided not to add the PE ammo drums. The Eduard Big Ed set included a bomb bay. But i felt the kit one was just fine for what can be seen through the windows. If i remember right, the Hase kits are completly empty here.

spacer.png

Also got PE added to the wheel wells.

spacer.png

And the cockpit parts and upper gun position ready for painting.

spacer.png

After painting with Xtracolor RLM 02, i used some flory washes and then some dry brushing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the coloured PE, love this stuff.

spacer.png

With that, the fuselage was closed up and the mid lower wing section was added, complete with bomb bay and wheel well's. After that the cockpit was fitted and all the final bits added.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then the upper wings were added. As with the rest, fit in nice, just a little filler at the front.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thats it for now. Really liking this kit. Deffinetly surpasses the Hase kit. better detail, nice fit and a good bit cheaper.

• Like 30

Love me some Heinkels. Too bad my scale is 1:48 though, and had to choose between ICM's 111 and 88. Ended up choosing the 88 because I had one in 32nd.

Short update on the 111. Most of the construction is done. I did have some issues with the fit of the outer lower wings and the engines. The latter i think caused by the former. I hate it when i have issues with a kit that are not mentioned in reviews as it makes me think i have done something wrong. And is often the case, i can't figure out what. But after some filling and sanding it all in place.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The bomb bay doors are also a bit small, but that deffinetly is not somthing i have done.

spacer.png

A few bits of PE to add and the canopy to fit and mask and it will be ready for painting.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Assembely was done and everything masked up ready for painting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

One of the things i have always like about this scheme is the contrast between the light grey RLM 63 and the 2 darker colours. When i painted the 63 i used the last of my older tins of Xtracolor. After adding the other 2 and removing the masks i noticed a couple of spots i had not masked properly and had some darker overspray. So i grabbed a newer tin of 63 and to my horror noticed it was a completly different colour, a darker grey green. Xtracolor have a habit of changing the shade of certain colours.So i sprayed a bit on to see just how different it was, knowing i didn't have any of the ligter colour left.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Before commiting i did a bit of checking. It turns out that 63 did come in the 2 shades and the grey green one is correct for this scheme. It explains some of the profiles in some of the books i have. So, i completly re-masked and re-did the 63. I'm a bit gutted as i did like the other colour, but i am geting used to it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up the decals.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Time to wrap this one up. The decals went down nicely, a mix of Xtradecal for the markings and Airfix for the stencils. These were followed by exhaust staining and a light flory wash.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The masks were then removed and finals bits added. The D/F loop was sctarch built with a bit of wire as the P-2 was not fitted with this and so the kit didn't have one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The markings are a little confuseing. The unit badge and tail code 25 indicate KG 152, the E33 assigning it to the 3 Staffel, 3 Gruppe. But this Gruppe didn't operate the He 111. From what i can find, and according to the decal instructions, it belong to KG 255 and one source says it was one of a number loaned to 152 to make a properganda movie. Apparently this was called KG Lutzow, but from what i can find this was made in 1940. So maybe it was started in 38 and then finished off in 40 after the invasion of Poland, which is part of the movie.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And of course, a properganda movie would not be complete without a camerman there to capture the brave crew about to head out, maybe discussing who's going to be the star of the show.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Really pleased with how its turned out. A few fit issues, the canopy isn't perfect. But overall, a nice kit. And deffinetly a match for the more pricey Hase kits.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 22

Interesting build! The Preiser figures evoke happy memories of a time long gone, when „authenticity“ ( for all that it‘s worth) wasn‘t so much an issue than creating a convincing scene, which is what you did! ( And the pilots look very authentic in their proper khaki summer overalls)

One thing just crossed my mind: the „P“ version was delivered to frontline units starting in 1939, if my sources are correct. 

The three-tone splinter camouflage on the other hand was reported abandoned around 1938.

So your Heinkel is sort of a borderline version, right? I‘m wondering whether there is any reference to those planes being camouflaged in the older scheme ( which I find quite attractive).

Happy Modeling!

Nice end result. The insides are certainly crammed with detail. All I ever built in the past was the ancient Airfix H20 which was pretty empty.

Perhaps this machine was repainted to add scenes to the propaganda film? We all know what Hollywood gets up to nowadays. Probably way worse back then!

Cheers Stromness. I do like the preiser/Revell figures, just wish i could get hold of some more, i am running low.

The P-2 entered service in summer 39, just after the scheme changed to 70/71. The P-1  entered service just before the change. There is a photo of this aircraft in flight along side another and both are in this scheme, along with the 5 digit code. Most referances date the photo to 1938. My Airdoc Vol 7 says series production of the P begain in 39 but has a profile pic of this aircrraft dates to 38. Either way, i don't think there were many P's in this scheme and it wasn't long before production switched to the P-2.

Thanks Pete, this is a nice kit and does have even more detail than the Hasegawa ones. Thats a good point, the only pic of it is in flight, it mght just be that the referances have been tricked by the scheme into thinking it was earlier than it actually was.

It is a shame they don't do this in 1/48 scale. I just acquired the new ICM H20. There is a Polish based scheme in it I want to do. It would have been nice to do this and bookends to the war in Poland.  

Very much agree with you there Greg. I have been tempte to get a Roden kit, but i hear they are not brilliant, a new tooled one would be very welcome.

24 minutes ago, Bish said:

Very much agree with you there Greg. I have been tempte to get a Roden kit, but i hear they are not brilliant

Ah, the famous British understatement.

• Haha 1