10 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Work continues at a snails pace, hoping to get it finished in time for the September Model Show at the Tank Museum.

Thanks for stopping by

Looks good Roger. I like the idea of replicating the Tank Museums version down to that level of detail! I'll be at that show on the Poole Vikings stand. Hope we get chance to meet!

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks for the comment @Terry1954 Hopefully this will ready for the September show I hope to share a table with a friend John Moore as we did earlier this year. As an ex Poole Viking it would be nice to meet up. The M60 I'm attempting to replicate is not the M60A-1 Rise that is normally displayed inside the Tank Museum but the sand/brown M60A-3 which is part of the running fleet. I have had the pleasure of driving the latter in the arena for Tanks in Action a couple of times although I have also driven the A-1 to put it back into the Museum after a Tankfest weekend.

7516051128_2ca0ff2fb5_b.jpg

This is the one I want to replicate

Roger 

Edited by Hamden
picture added from google images
  • Like 4

Right where we .................. ah yes the crew reported for duty, they were from Accurate Armour and are their British Army tank crew in overalls as the Tank Museum crews wore black overalls and this was the easy option! Two men crew the vehicle a commander and driver so that is what I have gone for

IMG-0229.jpg

IMG-0231.jpg

IMG-0233.jpg

Apologies for the poor picture but I'm sure you get the idea 

The bottom of the hull has been primed with Valleo's red/brown primer in readiness for colour, I want to paint the lower hull before fitting the top in order to make it easier to fit the tracks.

IMG-0230.jpg

The back of the road wheels/idlers/sprockets have had the back sides primed with Valleo black primer

IMG-0228.jpg

Some more work on the turret has been done with the fuel can holders being made from brass sheet and attached to the turret sides

IMG-0226.jpg

IMG-0227.jpg

Not shown in the pictures the two halves of the main gun barrel have been put together and fitted into the mantlet.

At present I am waiting for some brass rod to be delivered so that I can attempt to manufacture a rear turret basket as all I have is a lot of broken pieces so that will be a make or break for this project.

Thanks for taking an interest, more soon

Roger

Edited by Hamden
Missing text
  • Like 6

A little more progress whilst waiting for the brass rod to turn up to make the turret basket. The lower hull has been painted and the road wheels and idlers fitted ready for the tracks to be fitted. The hull top has been primed after the bin handles had been made from brass wire, the kit ones were missing or broken.

IMG-0234.jpg

IMG-0235.jpg

Couldn't resist putting the turret(s) on to the hull top just to see how it looks

IMG-0236.jpg

IMG-0237.jpg

With luck tomorrow will see the tracks fitted and hopefully the top and bottom hulls joined

Thanks for taking the time to stop by

Roger

• Like 5

On 8/20/2019 at 8:26 PM, Hamden said:

Terry you really should restart your M60's

Well done on the tracks Roger. I'm planning to pick up work on my M60's when the AMX-13 is done.

Terry

• Like 1

On 8/25/2019 at 9:44 PM, Terry1954 said:

I'm planning to pick up work on my M60's when the AMX-13 is done.

Looking forward to seeing your M60's Terry

I have had problems lately with one thing and another so haven't  been able to access the Forum. Any how work has progressed slowly with the M60 turret basket, the kit supplied parts were broken so a replacement has been scratched using brass rod and wire mesh. the first picture shows the broken basket parts

IMG-0241.jpg

The next pictures show the replacement basket made from brass rod

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

Next up was a visit to the paint shop and the application of the base sand colour

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

I think that has brought us up to date now.

Thanks for stopping by, hopefully it won't be so long till the next update!

Roger

• Like 8

Good save on the turret basket Roger :thumbsup: it’s not something that I would look at lightly fella, well done. Grab yourself a fibreglass pencil, it really helps with the post solder cleanup and it’s great on plastic. You’ll find that it will soon be your most used tool. Indispensable for soldering up.

Keep it up fella 

Dan 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments Dan I appreciate your time dropping in.. I do have a fibreglass pencil and used it together with a brass rotary brush in a dremel to clean up the basket as best I could before priming 

Roger

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Thanks for the comments Dan I appreciate your time dropping in.. I do have a fibreglass pencil and used it together with a brass rotary brush in a dremel to clean up the basket as best I could before priming 

Roger

As I said Roger, to scratch up that basket is no mean feat fella, very complex in every aspect.. Respect mate;)

• Thanks 1

Almost there now just got touch ups and light weathering this one gets dusty rather than muddy. Crew to add and a base to mount it on.

Below are the pics: of it with the colours added

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and encouragment it's very much appreciated and thanks for looking in

Roger

• Like 5

Apart from the base I'm calling this one done the crew have reported for duty and are now in position. As I stated at the beginning of this thread the kit was obtained from that well known auction site as incomplete, parts broken, no box etc: On receiving the kit I considered their was enough there to build a replica of the Bovington Tank Museum's running fleet M60A3 that I have had privilage to have driven, I won't bore you again with what has been done and I am reasonably pleased with how this has turned out. Enough waffle here are the pictures

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

Many thanks for all the encouragement and comments along the way 

Roger

• Like 6

That looks the business Roger, just like I remember seeing the actual one! Would like to see that in the flesh - will you be displaying with any clubs at the Bovington weekend in September?

Terry

Thanks for your comment @Terry1954

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

will you be displaying with any clubs at the Bovington weekend in September?

Hoping to have a table with a friend , we are awaiting to hear if we have been allocated a space. If we are successful then the M60 will be there, I used to be a member of Poole Vikings but left when I went to Canada to work in 2008, I haven't joined any modelling club since returning in 2012

Roger

• Like 1