A new project this M60 is an unknown as it was acquired from that well known auction site as for spares possible parts broken or missing, so having looked at the pictures decided to put in a silly offer. This resulted in my becoming the proud(?) owner of what I think is an Esci kit with the idea of replicating the M60A of the the Bovington Tank Museum running fleet, a vehicle I have had the pleasure of driving. All the basics are in the box but the tracks and road wheels are the wrong pattern for the Bovington example so after market replacements have been sourced. Anyway here are the pictures of what I have to work with

IMG-0189.jpg

IMG-0186.jpg

IMG-0187.jpg

IMG-0188.jpg

IMG-0184.jpg

IMG-0185.jpg

I have made a small start by removing the drivers hatch as this is moulded integral with the hull top, I want the hatch open as the plan to display the finished model with a tank museum crew as it would have appeared in the tanks in action display around 2013.

Thanks for stopping by more soon

Roger 

• Like 6

For one minute I thought that there might be a tie up between ESCI and the Academy offering, but having now seen the sprues (stowage bins moulded to the hull), I realise there's not.

Good luck with that Roger.

John.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the likes they do give me encouragement.

Not a lot done on this as my daughter is getting married next month so there are lots of things I have been given to do which stops me spending time at the bench!

Anyway as I said above the drivers hatch cover has been removed but I now need to fit it in the open position, to do this I took to fabricating a similar system as used on the full size vehicle by adding an angled arm to the bottom left hand side of the hatch. This is attached to a bar mounted behind the drivers head and allows the hatch to pivot up and slide to the right hand side of the hull, my version is not 100% accurate but works in same way. A gap under the track guards inline with the turret ring has been filled with Miliput as they not there on the original. The lashing eyes and front tow eyes together with the front and rear convoluted spring packs have also been added.

Here are the photographs

IMG-0191.jpg

IMG-0192.jpg

IMG-0190.jpg

IMG-0193.jpg

Not a lot done but it's a start more soon 

Thanks for dropping in

Roger

• Like 6

Excellent start Roger and a nice kit. I'll definitely follow this one. Intrigued that you have driven the Bovington one. I applied recently to be a volunteer guide, but they aren't taking any on at the moment. ☹️

I have one of these and an old Tamiya in the stash that I have had a go at them both on and off. The Esci kit is very good IMHO. I'm modifying the Tamiya one to be an early Israeli M60, and the Esci one to be a standard M60A1 in the 7th Army MASSTER scheme. The Tamiya one has lots of extra parts from Mr Kit including early M60 turret. Some very poor pics of my two. Must get back onto them soon!

IMG_2343 IMG_2340

Terry

• Like 2

@Terry1954 & @robgizlu thanks for the comments and likes very much appreciated.

Terry I spent roughly three years driving and maintaining the Tank Museum  M548 vehicle rides hence my avitar. During this time I was also fortunate to drive some of the museum's vehicles such as their M60's, Strv 104(Swedish Centurion), as well FV432, Marmon Herrington armoured car, Lynx and M113. There was probably some others that I can't remember at the present. Your M60's look great you should definitely bring them to the front of the pile they deserve your TLC and I look forward to watching them progress 

Probably no update this week as I'm going to Tankfest tomorrow(Saturday)

Roger  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Probably no update this week as I'm going to Tankfest tomorrow(Saturday)

Thanks for your comments Roger. I may well bring them up in the queue and anyway I have a couple os others close to finishing.

I went to Tankfest today and it was pretty good. Had a good look around, picked up some publications and a couple of models, and managed to take plenty of pics. I took a handful of the M60 you plan to model, so will post a couple up on here when I get them downloaded.

Terry

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've not been able to get any bench time of late as my daughter got married last weekend and things have been a little hectic around here!

I managed to find some spare time yesterday to try and continue this build, so having sat down and tried to remember where I left off I decided to go track bashing so found where these had been stashed away

IMG-0184.jpg

Well that's a start finding them. Putting these together is not unlike the real deal with the links being joined by end caps, only the centre horn is moulded with the link otherwise it would be as on the full size for building up! so this where I'm at

IMG-0202.jpg

IMG-0203.jpg

That is a length of 16 links so do they fit around the kit sprockets?

IMG-0204.jpg

The answer YES that's a result

Thanks for stopping by I really appreciate it

Roger

• Like 6

Tracks look good Roger. I haven't forgotten about the M60 pictures I took at Tankfest, will post them as soon as I get round to uploading from my camera! I too have been a bit busy of late with a number of garden projects and this week a partial refurb of the hobby room - lots more shelves now!

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More slow progress with this, life gets in the way as it does for all of us!

Anyway whats happened since the last update well to be honest not a lot the hull bins have had their lids fitted, the air cleaner boxes have been put together and fitted as well. Next a small problem arose the head lamp guards are missing (if you remember this was bought as an incomplete kit with no box) so a little bit of scratch building was undertaken these are still a work in progress.

IMG-0208.jpg

IMG-0211.jpg

IMG-0212.jpg

IMG-0213.jpg

Next attention turned to the lower hull, first the axle arms have been added the front two each side modified to fully articulate (The reason for this will become obvious later when the model is set on its display base), return rollers and track tensioners added. I have also started to make replacement shock absorbers, the front two need to be able to extend. The originals were either broken or missing anyway.

IMG-0205.jpg

IMG-0206.jpg

IMG-0207.jpg

IMG-0209.jpg

IMG-0210.jpg

That is the state of play as of now, more soon I hope!

Thanks for stopping by

Roger 

• Like 7

Nice work on those shockers and head lamp guards Roger.

I was back at Bovington yesterday with some grand children in tow. As it was raining and school hols, the place was mobbed! Still got a chance to see the M60 running again so was worth it.

Terry

• Thanks 1

@Terry1954 Thanks for the comment, glad you had good visit to the Tank Museum even if it was crowded! Still seeing tanks in action makes up for the crowds a little bit(Hope it wasn't to dusty) M60 is an awesome bit of kit really enjoyed driving it! 

@Bullbasket Thanks for your comments John, yes there are some eras with the Esci kit but I bought it from a well known auction site as incomplete/broken/missing parts so I will just have to make the best of what I've got to the best of my ability.

Roger 

• Like 2

Well I managed to grab a few minutes today so made a start on the turret. The turret is basically two pieces top and bottom with the mantlet fitting on the front. Top and bottom fitted together almost perfectly, the mantlet how ever is another matter! Having got the fit as best as possible when set filler will be needed. The commanders turret with .50 cal is basically the same construction only the fit of the .50 cal mantlet is better. Some minor parts such as lifting eyes and hatches have also been fitted.

IMG-0214.jpg

IMG-0215.jpg

IMG-0216.jpg

IMG-0217.jpg

IMG-0218.jpg

More soon thanks for stopping by it's much appreciated

Roger

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dads203 said:

been a while since your last update Roger.  Get cracking mate ;)

Been spending time watching a very nice Navy Sea King being built over in the aviation forum

Roger

• Haha 2

Coming on nicely. Having had the Tamiya, and Esci (Italeri) versions myself, and read some of the reviews on the Academy, Dragon and AFV Club versions, I still think this one is one of the best. Meng have done one now and that would be interesting to see.

Terry

• Thanks 1

Just to keep Dan happy @Dads203 a further small update, the replacement shock absorbers have been completed the first picture showing one in its component form then top bushing is being fitted and sized to the top mount.

IMG-0222.jpg

With the bush cut to size the top mount was drilled to accept a pin which allows the shock to pivot as per the original, the lower part of unit has aright angle bend which fits into the suspension arm as well as the body already  attached to the hull. Stations 1&2 each side are movable the reason will become apparent later.

The next two pics show the arms and shockers in place.

IMG-0220.jpg

IMG-0221.jpg

Work has also continued on the turret(s) with the gap at the bottom of the mantlet filled some more detail added in the form of one of the side rails made from brass wire although not yet completed, lifting eyes have been added missing ones formed from wire and other small details added from plastic stock.

IMG-0219.jpg

IMG-0223.jpg

That's it for today many thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Another very small update tracks have now gone from this

IMG-0203.jpg

to this

IMG-0225.jpg

I have also started to assemble the road wheels, I am attempting to replicate the Bovington Tank Museum running fleet example which has pressed wheels on all but the left number 2 station which has an aluminium cast wheels. The cast wheels came with the kit the replacement pressed ones are after market

IMG-0185.jpg

IMG-0224.jpg

Work continues at a snails pace, hoping to get it finished in time for the September Model Show at the Tank Museum.

Thanks for stopping by

Roger

• Like 6