JASDF F-104J - FINISHED

zebra

I've left this late and if I don't start I'm not going to finish on time - I'll be away for a couple of weekends in July so I only have 6 weekends to get this done. It's the Hasegawa 1/48 F-104J. I have a few aftermarket goodies for it but in the interests of time I might not use them all. I'll be using the Two Bobs Komatsu Starfighters sheet, going to go for the natural metal/red/white option - there's a photo of it here: http://www.916-starfighter.de/Large/Stars/wJ673.htm

Here's the open box and aftermarket stuff:

1/48 F-104J

I've made a start - got a few subassemblies assembled and started painting. Don't have a photo to share yet - not really worth sharing at this stage - but hopefully will make quick progress. If I can get the fuselage closed up next weekend I reckon I can get it done by the end of the GB.

Edited by zebra
finished
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I keep pressing on with this and forgetting to post updates and take photos! In fact I've got it almost ready to paint without posting an update since the box shot. Anyway, here it is. All pretty straightforward so far. Aside from the Quickboost seat and a bit of Eduard PE in the cockpit, the only significant modification has been the addition of Sidewinder rails on the wingtips, which aren't catered for in the kit, but are present on the only photos I can find of the aircraft I'm modelling. These were left over from the A-4N I recently completed.

F-104J WIP

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Jabba said:

Whoosh, that was quick. Unusual to see the sidewinder rails on the wingtips, and the scheme that you have chosen to do is very different.

This kit does go together quickly! Yes the sidewinder rails on the wingtips are unusual, but the only photos I can find of this aircraft in this scheme have them. It'll also have 2 rails under the fuselage with 2 practice rounds.

Made some progress with the painting today - now have the white and red done. Black base tomorrow morning and may even get the first coat of the natural metal on tomorrow.

F-104J WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 2

Decals on. Two Bobs decals worked very well, as expected - sometimes decals are a bit of a chore but these were all done in one session. 

F-104J WIP

F-104J WIP

Nearly there. Obviously the undercarriage needs to go on - it's all painted and ready to go, so should be done tomorrow. Also need to finish the afterburner and add that, and a few small parts. Probably the biggest job left is to paint up a couple of sidewinders. Should easily make the end of the GB next weekend.

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Alan P said:

Looks superb. Great scheme and the shine you've got on it is fantastic.

Alan

Thanks Alan

Another productive day on the Starfighter - all that's left to do now is to paint and assemble a couple of Sidewinders, which I've started, using a couple of spare missiles from an Academy F-4B/N kit (which will be making an appearance in the Year You Were Born GB). Can't see myself missing the GB deadline now.

F-104J WIP

F-104J WIP

F-104J WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 4

Very good build for this Julian. Certainly Hasegawa can make a good kit when they try.

GBs are always a struggle over the summer with holidays etc. Only just scraped in with the RT-33 myself. 

Colin 

• Thanks 1