Hasegawa 1/48 F6F-3

Uschi Van Der Rose .003 antenna, great stuff!  But don’t drop your cut off piece, it’s so thin it disappears.  The flat coat is Alclad Clear Flat, color coats are Model Master with some Tamiya for details.  Antennas are reinforced with music wire.  Stencils on the fuselage right side are arguing with me.  The cowl is from Obscureco, very nice resin.

Photos at the end are showing the F6F-3, FM-2, and F4U-1 relative to the A6M2 Zero and each other. The Wildcat fuselage needed to go on a diet!

0092f6f.jpg

0102f6f.jpg

0132f6f.jpg

0142f6f.jpg

0152f6f.jpg

0162f6f.jpg

0172f6f.jpg

0182f6f.jpg

0192f6f.jpg

0202f6f.jpg

0212f6f.jpg

0222f6f.jpg

0232f6f.jpg

0242f6f.jpg

• Like 35

John, excellent work. Question, what is your technique for attaching aerials? Cut to size and superglue, or something else? I’ve seemed to have lost my “mojo” in that regard, not that I’ve built a whole lot in the last number of years. 

Also, I feel very much like the Wildcat in your lineup... little more rotund than I need to be for my size!

Thanks all, for the nice comments!  Much appreciated.

C, the Hellcat would look good with maybe a Peterbilt or Kenworth paint scheme, I just can't see it with the usual civilian airplane getup.  However, I have plans to do a Bearcat in this scheme, owned by one Russell Norwood Hansen, a Yale philosophy professor who used to buzz Yale Bowl with it during games.

800px-HansonBearcat1200.jpg

10 hours ago, RadMax8 said:

John, excellent work. Question, what is your technique for attaching aerials? Cut to size and superglue, or something else? I’ve seemed to have lost my “mojo” in that regard, not that I’ve built a whole lot in the last number of years. 

Also, I feel very much like the Wildcat in your lineup... little more rotund than I need to be for my size!

RadMax, The Uschi Van Der Rosen .003 thread acts just like E Z Line, thinner, but just as "stretchy".  I have shaky hands so I hold the thread in place with weighted clamps that Exacto used to make but similar are still available from MicroMark and others.  I use a twisted wire to put the smallest possible amount of thin CA where the thread is touching the antenna mast at each end, then I cut off the excess at each end.

• Like 1

John, your response has created more questions for me! I’m having a hard time visualizing what type of clamps you mean, and a quick look at the Micro Mark website isn’t helping. Do you have a picture or link about what you’re talking about? Thanks!

John, I think I understand what you’re talking about finally! The toothpicks are stand-ins for the plane and the clamps hold the wire taut over the attachment points. 

Thank you for taking a picture of that!

Well done John. Sweet collection. I like the difference with antenna size. I just started using the Uschi superfine 0.01mm for my 1:48 kites. As you say, the stuff is very fine, at times I wasn't sure if I was holding or not. I hope you don't mind, here is my latest using the superfine for the antenna...

img_0014-jpg.535330

Hi, fubar.  Nice looking George, glad to have the picture here.  I think that is the same size I used on the F6F-3, I recall it being .003" which is very close to .1mm.  Probably it can be either depending on how much it is stretched.