1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

A good discussion.

49 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

In the inset pic above with view from port bow could the 'protrusions' actually spell HMS BRAVE BORDERER ?

Yes, there was a nameplate (looks like individual letters) that spelled out 'P1011 BRAVE BORDERER'.

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

Here it looks like some hooks only (maybe for a tarp when moored) there's something breaking up the large flat surface underneath the windshield.

You could be right.  An early drawing I have shows that an awning could be mounted forward of the bridge.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any drawings or photos showing the awning or mounting detail.

John

• Like 2

A small update scratch building deck fittings, or should I say trying to build small fiddly bits. :(

I've been spending a lot of time making Brave Borderer's deck fittings.  This would probably go a lot faster if I could train my fingers to keep out of the way. :doh:

I'm using plastic rod & card, with a little wine bottle foil, to make the parts.

Here's a photo showing what I've completed to date, ready for a coat primer;

50189096336_c3d436c6d2_c.jpg

There's a few more fittings to go, & then it'll be time to add a finish coat of paint & glue these parts plus the deck vents & stanchions to the deck.

As always, thanks for looking in.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 17

3 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Not quite a microscope, but a magnifier desk lamp. 

Something similar for me i use a desk magnifier or an optivisor but I still can't see what I am doing at the best of times  :nerdy:

beefy

6 hours ago, JohnWS said:

magnifier desk lamp.

I would've been even more impressed if you were using the Mk1 eyeball. 

3 hours ago, beefy66 said:

optivisor

I have one of them but for some reason I'm holding back in using it...that might explain a few things too.

Stuart

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

I would've been even more impressed if you were using the Mk1 eyeball. ...

My eyeball was upgraded to a Mk2, having had cataract surgery a couple of years ago.:drunk: Still need the magnifying glass for those piddly parts, though.

John :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Moving along ... slowly.

I've spent way too much time scratch building three little cordage reels.  The reels are 1/4" diameter discs made from plastic sheet, with 8 holes plus a centre mounting hole in each disc.  The major issue I ran into (other than being too anal) was accurately drilling the 8 holes equally spaced in a circular pattern in each 1/4" disc.  Finally, after many tries, I had 6 completed discs to make the sides of 3 reels.  The discs were glued to centre hubs made from plastic tube with a smaller diameter plastic rod inserted for the reel centre axles.  Triangular reel mounting frames were made for each of the 3 reels, from strips cut from plastic sheet.

A photo of the assembled cordage reels;

50226679838_91653b4594_c.jpg

And, photos showing the reel mounting locations on Brave Borderer.

50227547982_fac8de346a_c.jpg

50227325566_0398aa12f4_c.jpg

50227327016_e568cfeff4_c.jpg

Next up, I'll add a coat of primer & finish paint, then wind thread around each reel hub to simulate the cordage.

Once the reels are completed, I'll start gluing the deck fittings and reels in place.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 11

I continue to be amazed by the fittings.

How did you make the fairleads? I've made them by drilling a hole in strip stock, radiusing the hole edges with a file, removing the bottom of the hole, and then cutting the top at an angle. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Les!

2 hours ago, gunzo said:

... What sort of twine did you use- it looks very fine and hairless even in close-up? ...

It's 20 lb. braided 100% nylon waterproof fishing line.  Like you said it's hairless plus the nylon has a sheen & is very flexible.  I've used it to simulate braided wire cable as well as rope in the past.

John

• Like 1

Thanks dnl42!

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

... How did you make the fairleads? I've made them by drilling a hole in strip stock, radiusing the hole edges with a file, removing the bottom of the hole, and then cutting the top at an angle. ... 

My process is similar to your's.  I start by gluing pieces of plastic strip together in a size a little larger than the finished fairlead, as shown in figure 1, below.

Once the glue is dry, I carve to the finished shape & size (Figure 2, below) using files, fine sand paper, & drill bits. Then cut the slot in the top using a thin, fine tooth saw. 

50235247666_36bda37978.jpg

I hope this answers your question. 

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Those reels are excellent - very well done for managing to drill all 8 holes equi-spaced!

One observation though.  Have you aligned the port and starboard reel correctly?  It's difficult to be certain from the angle of the photograph, but this shot appears to show the centre of the reel lying athwartships rather than fore and aft.

On 15/08/2020 at 12:50, JohnWS said:

50228654576_5f0ab0c3f4_c.jpg

Thanks Chewbacca!

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

One observation though.  Have you aligned the port and starboard reel correctly?  It's difficult to be certain from the angle of the photograph, but this shot appears to show the centre of the reel lying athwartships rather than fore and aft.

Yes, I the reels are positioned correctly based on drawing & photographs.

Thanks for asking.  It's aways good to double check.

John 

• Thanks 1