1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

Thanks everyone!  Very much appreciated.

The Brave Borderer build has been on my bucket list for some time.  I was introduced to her when I was a young lad in the early 1960's.  My parents gave me a 1960 second edition of the Boys Book of the Navy, by Lt. Cmdr. P. K. Kemp, R. N. (Red.).  Brave Borderer had just entered service, & there was one of her first photos at speed in the book.  Not as exciting as seeing the boats in person like Kev did, but still I was in love.  Needless to say, there were no models of BB available, so I jumped at the chance a few years later to buy the Perkasa model.  It was disappointing to find Perkasa was not an RN boat, but I still consider it to be one of the best quality plastic model kits.   Many years later, using that same Perkasa model as the basis for this build actually meant a lot. 

It feels great to finally have BB checked off my bucket list.  It's too bad there isn't more detailed information about the Brave class boats available, but being able to find enough info to build this model made finishing it even more rewarding.

10 hours ago, beefy66 said:

...  just hope Santa remembers to bring me a new notebook for the next build ... 

No rush for the new notebook beefy.  I received the frigate model kit yesterday, & I was very disappointed to find it was missing a couple of important parts. :angry:  The box & parts bags were unopened so it looks like Iron Shipwrights were at fault.  Now the work begins to contact the vendor & see if I can get the parts.  Even if the vendor can send me the parts, they'll be coming from the US & it'll probably take a few more weeks to receive them.  If the parts aren't available, I'll be returning the kit & starting the process all over again. :(

John

• Sad 1

The repurposed & reworked display case for Brave Borderer is complete.  Rework included a new coat of paint, & new clear plastic panels.  Brass picture frame 'turns' were added to secure the end clear plastic panels & to allow the panels to be removed to access the case interior.

50743743838_3fe3afaf4e_c.jpg

I've posted new photos of the completed Brave Borderer model in the 'Ready for Inspection' section here.

Best wishes to you & your families for the holiday season.  Merry Christmas & let's hope the new year is less stressful than 2020.

Stay safe!

Hope to see you soon for my next build. :bye:

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

• 2 years later...