1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

8 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

The first thing that comes to mind when looking at the 'things' on the front of the superstructure is water hydrants for connecting deck washing hoses. But there are still a lot of options, so you can only guess.

7 hours ago, Steve D said:

....The lower of the two features looks to me like a loudhailer, not sure about the other one, an exhaust vent of some kind perhaps? ...

Thanks Dmitriy & Steve for your feedback.

Lots of ideas came to mind when I was trying to determine what these things were, eg. a speaker, a fog horn, a siren, an electrical receptacle, a connector for a hard wired communication headset/microphone for the gun or deck crew, etc..  You would think if they were a connector or receptacle, they would have some sort of cover to prevent corrosion when not in use.  One photo from Getty Images does show a coil of what could be a hose or cable just to the left of the round objects.

Steve, the lower one does look like a loudhailer, but I wonder why it was mounted so low ... maybe to deafen the gun crew? :(  One of those mysteries that probably will go unsolved.

John 

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 3

It seems to me that the loudspeaker would be installed at the top of the superstructure. There's a railing at the bottom, so it can get in the way of people. At this height, they do what people need to work with their hands.

But I could be wrong.

Dmitriy

On 06/12/2020 at 09:19, Steve D said:

Excellent work John, really coming together now. 

The lower of the two features looks to me like a loudhailer, not sure about the other one, an exhaust vent of some kind perhaps?

Steve

Lower one looks very much like an upperdeck broadcast speaker to  me.  The upper one is not dissimilar to the atmospheric air sampler intake that fed the chemical alarm in larger ships but I have no idea if the smaller craft like the Brave class were fitted with anything like that - I'd be surprised.

On 06/12/2020 at 16:01, JohnWS said:

Hi Dmitriy.

I don't know for sure, but from my experience the nameplates (or name boards) are made from a wood that would stand up to the maritime environment, eg. oak, mahogany, or teak.  The lettering was usually corrosion resistant metal, either brass or plated chrome.

It looks like it could be a rotating 'clear view screen' window.  It might be covered inside to prevent sun damage to the boat's interior.

John

I'd agree with both of those.  The wood was usually quite close grained and heavily varnished to protect against the elements, darker than oak or teak yet lighter than mahogany.  The metal was chrome plated or in some cases stainless steel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking great John nearly there take note from my boss though nearly there so don't F#,£? it up he says that quite a lot to me not sure why though.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 3

The 40mm Bofors guns are completed.

I purchased these guns from Shapeways, as a last resort.  Shapeways was the only vendor I could find that supplied 1/72 scale single Bofors in Brave Borderer's Mark lX mounting .  I've been unhappy with Shapeways products in the past & really didn't want to buy from them again.  The printed surface quality IMHO is crap, and these parts were no different.:angrysoapbox.sml:  However, the parts did come with some terrific detail, something that I wouldn't have been able to achieve by scratch building. :yes: The only design criticism I have is that the detailed open gun operator's position was printed as one piece (top, sides & floor) &, as a result, the interior was very difficult to paint.

For additional detail, I drilled out the gun barrel & spent cartridge chute, & added a scratch built manual gun sight using PE parts from earlier builds, for each gun (Brave Borderer's Mark iX gun mounts had both gyro & 'eyeshooting' gun sights).

Here's a before & after photo showing the completed guns.

50716639451_6fa2548b42_c.jpg

And, one more photo showing the guns dry fitted on Brave Borderer's deck.

50716641476_cc38d2ce1b_c.jpg

Well, only a few more things to make - a couple of fire extinguishes and radio antenna rigging.  Oh, & most importantly print out & raise the White Ensign on the main mast.  Once all the parts are glued in place on the model, I need to finish off a repurposed display case I found at an antique market for this build.

As always, thanks for looking in.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 12

That's disappointing John but it looks like you rallied well.  I've not bought anyone else's designs from Shapeways, only my own and they have been fine, annoying when you spend so much money on a part.

Anyway, she's looking great, excellent stuff

Steve

• Thanks 1

Hi John - agree with you about the quality of Shapeways finish, despite that, they look great.

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

The Lady has her teeth....

I'm getting a bit worried about life post Brave Border 

Kev

Kind of agree with Kev on this one!!

The end is nigh!!

Rob

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

... I'm getting a bit worried about life post Brave Border ...

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

... Kind of agree with Kev on this one!! ...

Not to worry, I've got a plan in place.

Here's a teaser photo of what I hope will be my next project.   Note that after spending a year & a half with 3 holes in my transom, the new project could have 3 holes as well.  :winkgrin:

50719257132_c6678b657e_w.jpg

Stay tuned!

John

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Here's a teaser photo of what I hope will be my next project.   Note that after spending a year & a half with 3 holes in my transom, the new project could have 3 holes as well.  :winkgrin:

50719257132_c6678b657e_w.jpg

Oooh, Canadian Halifax Class frigate by any chance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Good eye, Ant.  A 1/350 RCN Halifax Class frigate resin kit.

50687600053_ce0abe46f5_m.jpg

John

Hi John,

They are good looking frigates, the only kit I know of in 1/350 is the Iron Shipwrights kit, will certainly be following along with this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Good spot indeed from Any, and I must say a very interesting choice John. Who makes this one? ...

3 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

They are good looking frigates, the only kit I know of in 1/350 is the Iron Shipwrights kit, will certainly be following along with this one.

Ant is correct, it is the Iron Shipwrights kit.  For those interested, it's available on e-Bay.   They're pricey, though.  Luckily, Mrs. Santa loaned me some spare cash. :santa:

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

If that's the case - hope to be seeing the modern commemorative WW2 scheme as worn by HMCS Regina!! ...

The resin kit represents the original frigate configuration circa 2006.  I chose this kit for a number of reasons, including being able to use it as the basis to scratch build the current ships with modifications added in a 2012 - 2016 refit program.   HMCS Regina was painted in her camo scheme after she finished the refit program in 2016.

So, I've got three options to choose from; 1) an OOB build to the 2006 configuration, 2) scratch build the refit mod's to bring the model up to current standards, & 3) build the model to current standards & add Regina's paint scheme.  All look very interesting, so it's a difficult decision.

Apparently, my kit arrived by mail on Canadian soil today.  Hopefully, I'll have it in the next week or two.  At least it'll give me some time to finish Brave Borderer & try to decide which frigate configuration I'm going to build.

Here's what each option would look like.

50688406967_e56f515660_h.jpg

Decisions ... decisions ...

John

• Like 8

1 minute ago, beefy66 said:

I would go for the latest version with the Dazzle scheme  :popcorn:

Looking forward to that one

Stay Safe

beefy

Ermmm - John - No contest - Beefy has that 100% right - Pressure's on ;)

It is SUCH a nice scheme, and you won't have to have an extended debate as to what exactly the colours are :rofl2:

:coolio:

Rob

• Haha 3

Well I can't disagree with my colleagues @beefy66 and @robgizlu re the splendid look of the dazzle scheme, but I do have to put a counter vote in for option 1, as I am a Cold War nerd (alright, that one is almost post cold war). So, the pressure builds!

Btw, I looked at the ebay option. Yes, certainly pricey I agree, yet I could be tempted if it were not for the prohibitive postage costs to us in the UK. Maybe I should get one of my sons (who lives in Toronto) to buy it for me, and I collect it when I next go and see him!

Terry

• Like 1