1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

28 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Но на рисунках я тоже не смог найти это.

"But I couldn't find it in the pictures either."

Thanks for posting the picture Dmitriy - there's lots of info in it but not the indicator in question, which also suggests trials/test indicator.

My assumption that the actuator would be inside the hull is obviously wrong, it's inside the stern shelf and the linkage is slightly different to what I had envisioned, but the rest of the operation is as I explained, including the double function of the smaller shaft for both remote indication and feedback. 

The mechanical indicator shaft subject of this query will be connected to an extension of the short shaft between the ram and the transom hinge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  A good discussion & a great help.  :thanks:

And, thanks Dave for the detailed explanations.  

5 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

It's an indicator for the trim tab. The two thick bars running from under the stern shelf to the aft end of the trim tab are the operating levers that alter the angle of the tab (it's hinged on it's leading edge). ...

4 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

... also suggests trials/test indicator. ...

I agree that the part in question was used for tests or sea trails.  Later photos of Brave Borderer's stern show that the part in question has been removed.

As I've proceeded with the build, I'm finding that Brave Borderer was modified a number of times over her decades of service.  I decided to add a number of these mod's to the build in an effort to show as many of the various configurations as possible, even though it may not be completely accurate at any one point in time, e.g. I've included the original Type 974 Navigation Radar & depth charges with the Zodiac RIB, when in fact a later radar version was in use, & the depth charges & some ammo lockers were removed, at the time when the Zodiac was fitted.  As a result, I'm going the add the trim indicator to the build even though it probably was removed at the time of the later included configurations.  Not totally accurate for the purists, but it will show one more of the key configurations Brave Boarder had over her life span.

Thanks again for your help. 

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 3

Hi again!  Another step taken towards the finish line - I've added the remaining details to the transom, & the transom is finished. :yahoo:

50626272257_b01ca64a8d_c.jpg

To finish the transom, I've attached the three exhaust nozzles made earlier in the build, plus made & attached the ensign staff bracket (I've decided to not include the jack staff on the bow and the ensign staff on the stern, as these are usually removed from their brackets when a boat/ship is underway).

I've also scratch built & added the trim indicator discussed in the previous posts.

50626280032_cf43b8ce0f_c.jpg

Brave Borderer's unique transom was one of my major challenges during this build & I'm really glad to finally have it finished. :phew:

50625437823_3ed7ca16d2_c.jpg

Next up, I need to finish the handrail stanchions & start detailing the Bofors guns.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 18

Thanks again everyone for the 'Likes' & nice comments.

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

A very attractive rear end .......

I bet you say that to all the cute little boats.  You're making me blush.  :blush:

8 hours ago, GMK said:

Have you given any thought to your next project?

I like building unique boats & ships.  I'm thinking I might build a kit next time.  One kit that's caught my eye is a resin model of a late 1/350 RCN Iroquois class destroyer.  Not many models of these ships, probably because the kit is very expensive.  I might have to start a go-fund-me thread.  :rofl:

John

• Haha 3

OK - I alone am going to resist the OOOh Matron bottom comments......."Ding dong"!

Seriously, it looks Fab.  I really like the metal effects - they really set it off

The end does seem nigh....

Rob

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stanchions, hand rails ... and more detailing.

As described earlier in this thread, I decided to rework the Perkasa model's handrail stanchions for the Brave Borderer build.  Many of Perkasa's stanchions were damaged after years in storage, so the first step was to repair & modify the stanchions to suit this build, as shown in figure 1 in the photo below.  Next, a coat of paint (figure 2).  Then adding a little more detail by making mounting 'feet' by cutting discs from 1/16" dia. aluminum tubing & gluing the cut tubing to pieces cut from Evergreen sheet (figure 3) .

50683917513_82ee8b9405_c.jpg

I cut the stanchions to length & then glued them to the 'feet.  The assembled stanchions were then glued in holes I pre-drilled in the deck, as shown in figure 4.  The wire handrails were made using silver thread.

50684755392_73d113bc9f_c.jpg

In hindsight it would have been a lot easier & quicker just buying pre-made stanchions but, hey, that wouldn't have been as much 'fun'. :drunk:

After the handrails were finished, it was back to finishing the remaining details to the bridge superstructure.  Photos of Brave Borderer show a couple of round 'things' mounted on the front surface of the superstructure.  Unfortunately, I don't know what they are or what their function was, so I just copied them from the photos.  Also, I made & mounted a bracket for the ship's bell & added inkjet printed nameplates, as shown below.

50684756767_d5da3c98b1_c.jpg

Finally, I added one more printed nameplate to the stern handrail.

50684681511_7e46121538_c.jpg 

Now, all that's left to do is finishing the 2 Bofors guns, making a couple of fire extinguishers, & glue the remaining pre-made bits & pieces to the deck.''

50683924148_7b289d4d31_c.jpg

Next up, assembling & painting the 3-D printed Bofors guns.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 14

The first thing that comes to mind when looking at the 'things' on the front of the superstructure is water hydrants for connecting deck washing hoses. But there are still a lot of options, so you can only guess.

Excellent work John, really coming together now. 

6 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Unfortunately, I don't know what they are or what their function was, so I just copied them from the photos

The lower of the two features looks to me like a loudhailer, not sure about the other one, an exhaust vent of some kind perhaps?

Steve

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

... John, what material do you think the plates with the name Brave Borderer were made of? Wood or metal? ...

Hi Dmitriy.

I don't know for sure, but from my experience the nameplates (or name boards) are made from a wood that would stand up to the maritime environment, eg. oak, mahogany, or teak.  The lettering was usually corrosion resistant metal, either brass or plated chrome.

7 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

... I saw an strange round detail on the Swedish ship. What is it? ...

It looks like it could be a rotating 'clear view screen' window.  It might be covered inside to prevent sun damage to the boat's interior.

John

• Like 2