1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

Hi Again!

Back on July 29th, BM member Silenoz queried what looked like protrusions under Brave Borderer's windscreen - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235056797-172-hms-brave-borderer/&do=findComment&comment=3774485  

At the time, I wasn't able to find a photograph or info detailing what these protrusions were.  Moving along into September, I found a photograph that showed that these protrusions were what looked like seven large rivet heads, as shown below.

http://50556865557_5fd78d79f3_c.jpg

I decided to add these details to the model.  I ordered a sheet of large scale Archer resin fastener head transfers, to see if they could simulate what was shown in the above photos.  Today, i finally got around to applying the Archer fastener heads.  I prepared a template to layout the 'head' spacing, using the photograph as a guide.  

Here's photo showing the seven Archer fastener heads applied below the model's bridge windscreen.

50556867097_fcdc7bc68e_c.jpg

And finally, a photo showing the bridge 'head' details painted, including the photo on the actual bridge exterior for comparison.

50556005308_d66db5dd48_c.jpg

Next up, I going to try to make a small "P1011 Brave Borderer" decal to be applied below the fastener head transfers.  I also need to add a couple of rope cleats that are also located below the bridge windscreen (shown in the above photos).  I think these cleats were used to tie down a removable foredeck awning.

As always, thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 12

22 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Next up, I going to try to make a small "P1011 Brave Borderer" decal to be applied below the fastener head transfers.  I also need to add a couple of rope cleats that are also located below the bridge windscreen (shown in the above photos).  I think these cleats were used to tie down a removable foredeck awning.

I've completed & added the "P1011 Brave Borderer" decal plus the rope cleats, as shown in the following photos;

50561208372_02e2f72f9d_c.jpg

50561210182_ccfc53cd76_c.jpg

I was a little concerned about making the decals on my inkjet printer in such a small size, but I'm happy with the result.  The rope cleats were made from pieces cut from stretched plastic sprue.

Now, it's back to completing the depth charges & roll-off racks, and the flare projectors.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

Has always been a little hit 'n miss in my case. ...

Me too!  This time, I tried a new inkjet decal paper, but found they wouldn't 'stick''.   So I had to go back to my trusty Testors paper & reprint them.  Even then, I had to print out a half dozen of the little bug**rs to get one that looked okay once it was on the model.

24 minutes ago, longshanks said:

It must be so difficult for you ......

The standard you have set yourself

Congratulations yet again ...

Thanks Kev!   I've always been a perfectionist.  It's no wonder why my builds take so long.  I find if the build isn't going well, I have to walk away for a few hours (or days) to reset & try again to get it 'just right'.   Luckily, I don't expect the same quality standard from my family, just me.  :mental:

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Depth Charges are completed & dry fitted.

50577263181_af8d493d48_c.jpg

Rocket Flare projectors are completed & dry fitted, also.

50576538703_1818f44ea5_c.jpg

Time to move on to the anchor & some more little details.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 17

Hey John,

I've just read through this masterclass in kit modification and scratch building at 1/72 scale, superb work on show here:yikes:, not sure how you accomplish some of those things, way beyond me.  :clap::clap:

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'll be following along from now on

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Nearly there John cant be that much left to do now looking great BTW  👍

Thanks beefy!

I'm starting to get anxious to get her finished.  The to-do list is getting shorter.

John

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your likes & comments.

Next up, I've decided to focus on completing the main deck details before adding the handrail stanchions.

Starting at the bow, I've finished the foredeck (minus the stanchions).

50602966727_6cf611bb45_c.jpg

New additions on the foredeck include a Danforth anchor, anchor chain, boathooks, and rope detail as shown below.  The Danforth anchor & boathooks were salvaged from the Perkasa model.

Perkasa's anchor was molded in one piece.  I added a little detail by separating the flukes from the shank using a PE saw. spacer.png

My anchor chain started life as a yellow gold ladies' necklace (I'm pretty sure it won't be missed :kissing2:).  I made the links used to attach the ends of the chain to the anchor & deck cable clench from steel wire having an O.D. small enough to fit through the chain links.  The cable clench was made & attached earlier in the build.

Rope detail was added using .45mm tan rigging rope (from the Syren Ship Model Company) wrapped around the rope stowage legs that were made & attached earlier in the build.

50603104217_f4ab1a6c67_c.jpg

I'll be moving aft to finish the stern detail next.

Thanks for following along.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 13

Hi everyone,

I need your HELP!!!!!!!!! :yikes:

I'm finishing Brave Borderer's stern/transom details.  So far I've been able the identify most the parts on the boat, but I can't find the name or function of the part shown in the photos, below.  A number of possibilities come to mind - a weather/wind vane, a radar reflector, a visual indictor showing the position of the exhaust flaps, ... but I'm only guessing.  :(

Does anyone know what this part is or does?  

50618977391_a7ca2f2209_c.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

John

There are parts of it that look like an indicator for the exhaust flaps. But, why just one? Also, you're upper-left photo is clearly underway while other photos that show the exhaust flaps closed show the device in the same configuration.

Have you seen this Alamy photo, which appears to show some better detail?

21 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Have you seen this Alamy photo, which appears to show some better detail?

Thanks for the reply.  

Yes, I'm actually using that photo to build & locate the 'whatever-it-is'.   All the other photos I've seen, both with BB docked or underway, show the device in the same configuration.  The smaller diameter dark coloured rod looks like it may be an actuator to move the device's 'sail'.   Another possibility is the device is connected to the trim control flap located at the bottom of the transom & might have been be used as a mechanical trim flap angle indicator.  My photo of the transom shows a similar size rod in a similar location attached to the trim control flap.  Again, I'm just guessing.  

49134949487_9431e2b921_c.jpg

John

• Like 2

There's some visual artifact the the "connecting rod" appears to run in to. I enlarged the image but couldn't quite figure out what that artifact was, but there's a very clear difference between the left and center exhausts v. the center and right exhausts.

• Thanks 1

It's an indicator for the trim tab. The two thick bars running from under the stern shelf to the aft end of the trim tab are the operating levers that alter the angle of the tab (it's hinged on it's leading edge). The actuators that move the levers are inside the hull. If you look at the Alamy photo linked above, the actuating rod that moves the indicator is aligned directly above the port trim tab operating lever and will be connected to this lever inside the stern shelf fairing over the operating mechanism. The smaller bar between the operating levers will be for either feedback to the operating mechanism or to a remote indicator on the bridge (or both).

A trim tab indicator would be very useful for the helmsman for confirmation of trim input and to check tab position before throttling up. This mechanical indicator looks like it wouldn't be easily visible from the bridge so wouldn't be much use for manoeuvring the boat, so not a backup indicator, therefor it's most likely to be a test/trials installation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1