1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

4 hours ago, Murdo said:

Oh mate, take great care with that model, I would hate to see it accidentally knocked off the bench! ...

Let's just say I'm very careful, as I've learned from past experience.  :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Stunning work and superb craftsmanship John. Learning so much from watching this thread.

On 6/24/2020 at 4:38 AM, stevehnz said:

Brilliant, this'll be around for a while yet then? ;) :D

Steve.

21 hours ago, JohnWS said:

I'm afraid so. :waiting:

That's a comfort statement for me ..................... my Vosper build has been going on for about 22 months so far, and quite a way to go yet!

Thanks for a very well presented build thread.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the 'Like's & kind words.

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

John- this is your best build yet.  The detail and finish on the superstructure is "Norman Ough"!

WOW, thanks Rob.  Now I can tell my wife that I'm not getting older, I'm getting better.  :heart:

Things are slowly getting to (the new post virus) normal around here.  I had breakfast with a few of my old workmates this morning (on a restaurant's outdoor patio) for the first time since the virus restrictions were implemented.  We were doing bi-weekly breakfasts for the last 13 years after I retired.  This stopped when the virus restrictions were put in place over 3 months ago.   I realized that I've really missed the old crew.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Before I started the process of detailing the main deck, I needed to define what will be included on the deck.  Over the decade that Brave Borderer was in service, she had a number of different deck arrangements.  During her service years she carried, 1) a full compliment of weapons (4-torpedoes, 2-40mm guns, & 2-depth charges), 2) 4-auxiliary fuel tanks in place of the torpedoes, 3) 10-mines, 4) the addition of a rigid hull inflatable boat, and many combinations of all the above. 

After spending a little time contemplating my naval options (note I said naval, not nave:surprised:), I've decided to build the configuration shown in the following photo.  I feel this best represents what Brave Borderer was capable of carrying, e.g. torpedoes, guns, depth charges, auxiliary fuel tanks & a RIB.

50078888418_8a21733a5e_c.jpg

Next, turning my attention to the model's deck surface, I wasn't able to find many photos showing the actual deck.  However, pulling together what photos & line drawings I have, I pieced together what I feel is a reasonable representation or what the deck looked like.  To start, I've added a small solid toe rail along the edge of the deck.  Photos of the actual deck surface appear to show the deck being made up of a number of panels.  I'm not sure whether these panels were welded, riveted, glued, or bolted in position.  I had considered scribing outlines of the various deck panels, but my photos don't show any separation between the panels.  As a result, I've decided to try something different (for me) using layers of paint to differentiate between the panels.  To do this, I've masked the narrow panels that run from stem to stern, as shown in the following photo.  Next, I'm going to add a few thin coats of primer over the deck surface.  Once this dries, I'll remove the masking tape & apply a coat of primer again over the whole deck.  This will be followed by a coat of the finish paint colour.  I hope this approach will provide a slight visual boundary between the various panels.  We'll see!🤞  Note that I've also added a few details showing examples of where additional equipment could be mounted to the deck.  Again looking at photos, there seems to be a number of these 'bumps' & bolts used for mounting deck equipment & weapons along the deck surface.  I made these 'bumps' using a rivet tool run over strips of wine bottle foil. 

50078891413_de09324e17_c.jpg

Next up, painting the deck begins.  Wish me luck!

Thanks for following along.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 10

I like the idea of the rivet tool on the foil they do stand out those brackets.

When you mentioned navel I had a horrible picture jump into my head and it involved a lot of fluff  :doh: scary

Stay Safe

beefy

• Haha 1

Thanks Dancona!

1 hour ago, Dancona said:

I came across this on Youtube, but I'm sure you must have seen it, but just in case 

Yes, this is one of three videos on youtube that have been an invaluable resource for this build.

Here's a complete set of links;

1)  World's Fastest Warship

2)  Navy boats, 1950's

3)  Brave montage 1960's

With the limited number of the Brave class photos available, the videos have filled a sizeable information void.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 4

The main deck is primed ... and I'm really happy with the way it's turned out.  :yahoo:

As described above, I wanted to achieve a subtle effect that would show the boundary between the narrow & wide deck panels.  This involved masking the narrow longitudinal panels, applying a few coats of primer, then removing the masking, & finally applying a light coat of primer over the whole deck surface.  In practice, I 1) applied four light coats of primer over the unmasked deck, 2) then removed the masking tape, 3) sanded the whole deck to remove any rough paint edges around the mto asked areas & to blend the narrow panels with the wide ones, and finally 4) applied two coats of primer to blend in the edges of the deck panels.

And, here are a couple of photos showing the end result.  I have to apologize for the quality of the photos since to camera had a hard time picking up the subtle differences in the panels (yes, it's all the camera's fault :whistle:).  Although subtle, the resulting panel boundaries are visible and present to the touch, & provide some texture to what would otherwise be a wide expanse of flat decking.

50094907952_54d2f5aee8_c.jpg

50094910027_bbe386ba70_c.jpg

Next up, still lots to do.  I need to paint a border around the edge of the deck (the same colour as the hull sides), paint a finish coat of dark grey on the deck surface, and then add the draught markings & hull number decals, before building & adding the deck fittings.

Thanks again for looking.

Stay safe!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 11

I think the deck lines have come out very nice just visible and very subtle and a great explanation of how to do it  :book:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did not notice that the deck is not flat, but made of panels. My drawings don't show it, but the photos don't show it much. Now began to study, and saw. Thank you, John!

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

8 hours ago, longshanks said:

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together ...

Yes, especially when you really don't know how it's going to turn out.  :undecided:

1 hour ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

I did not notice that the deck is not flat, but made of panels. My drawings don't show it, but the photos don't show it much. ...

Here's the best photo I could find showing the panel outlines on the forward deck.  The darker lines appear to be the shadows of the edges of the larger longitudinal deck panels, with the sun on the starboard side.  I seem to be learning something new about the Braves, almost everyday.

50096749558_867df1dd68_c.jpg

John

• Like 4