1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

Another small update.

Painting the generator exhaust is complete.

49868656992_f7c768e6fa_c.jpg

I have a few more photos, but first ...

The following photo shows a cut away starboard view of BB's engine room.

49868658357_27ddcf18f5_c.jpg

On the left in the above photo, one of the 3 × Bristol Proteus gas turbines totalling 10,500 hp (7,830 kW), driving the 3 propellers.  On the bottom right are 2 x Rover auxiliary gas turbine turbo generators, each generating 40 kilowatts of electrical power.   A described earlier in this build thread, the exhaust from the Proteus gas turbines exit through 3 outlets in the boat's transom.  The above photo shows the pipes that direct the exhaust from the Rover auxiliary gas turbines vertically through the deck, and exiting through the generator exhaust assembly located in between the bridge superstructure & the stern.

Here's a couple of close up photos of the completed generator exhaust assembly dry fitted on the deck.

49867821603_fbdb80dc1c_c.jpg

49867822808_86cacb64b6_c.jpg

Next, I need to build 2 lockers located on the top of the turbine air intake structure, & then apply a finish coat of paint to the intake structure.

Thanks again for looking.

Stay safe.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 16

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

I've had a busy couple of weeks building Brave Borderer's stowage boxes and ready use lockers.

First, two stowage boxes for breathing apparatus.  These boxes will be located on top of the turbine intake structure, just forward of the generator exhaust assembly.

Next, four ready use lockers for rocket flares.  Two lockers are located on both the stbd & post sides of the turbine intake structure, one each on either side of the vertical generator exhaust.

Here's a photo of the finished stowage boxes & the completed rocket flare lockers (waiting for paint).

49918193612_8486a3abf7_c.jpg

And finally, the most time consuming build ... ten ready use ammo lockers for the two 40mm Bofors guns.  Five lockers were located around both the forward & stern guns (someone must have thought Brave Borderer was going to use a lot of ammo).

I tried to make these lockers as close as I could to the actual lockers, at this scale.  This resulted in having to make 46 tiny bits & pieces cut from plastic card for each locker ... not that I was counting. :shrug:  I'll let you do the math to determine the total number parts used to make all ten lockers. :coolio:   The biggest challenge was copying & assembling the bits & pieces so all 10 lockers would look the same.

And, here's a photo of the completed ammo lockers waiting for a coat of primer.  Note the pic was photo bombed by one of longshanks' feathered friends. :nodding:

49917381768_69f93df961_c.jpg

Next, I'll need to build two additional vents before the turbine air intake structure can be finished.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Right I blame you for the fact I am now attempting to scratch build lockers for my Fletcher build :rage:

looking great as usual John 👍

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the 'Like's everyone.

7 hours ago, longshanks said:

Magic work as always John

Your attention to detail is legendary 

I'll even allow you the :poop:hawk

Stay safe and avoid :poop:

Kev

Thanks, Kev ... I think! :)

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Lots of beautiful detail there John, especially love the lockers. Looking great.

Stuart

Hi Stuart.  Thanks for your feedback.

36 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Right I blame you for the fact I am now attempting to scratch build lockers for my Fletcher build :rage:

looking great as usual John 👍

Stay Safe 

beefy 

Gee beefy, I thought making these lockers at 1/72 was bad enough.  I can't imagine trying this at 1/144.

John

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, again!

Not much of an update this time, as I've spent the last three weeks since my last update cleaning up a few things and doing some planning on the next steps for this build.

I've fixed a couple of joints on the deck lockers that were included in my last update and primed them in preparation for final paint.

49993583252_fb1dfe3055_c.jpg

You'll note I've included two engine room vents in the above photo, as well.  One of these vents is located on each side of turbine intake structure.  I built the vents from various thicknesses of plastic card.  I'll be adding screens to the vent openings, using a discarded coffee maker metal filter screen.  A mock-up showing the screen assembled in one of the vents is shown in the following photo.

49993332426_76f65aa41c_c.jpg

Next, I made my first attempt at making the deck railing stanchions (aka seagulls - https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235064445-dunkirk-tribute-completed/&do=findComment&comment=3683996).  :whistle:

My original plan was to use the stanchions from my Perkasa model.  Even though I tried to be careful, I broke a number of the stanchions when removing them from Perkasa's deck.  So, I forged ahead with a Plan B.  This involved cutting the top ends off each of Perkasa's stanchions & gluing a length of white .75mm plastic rod to the stanchion ends salvaged from the Perkasa model, using CA glue.  During this exercise I realized that Brave Borderer's stanchions at the stern were different in size & shape than Perkasa's.  I ended up building these different stanchions using 75mm & 1.6mm plastic rod.  This resulted in a total of 5 different shapes & sizes of stanchions.  The following photo shows the end result (I still need to cut the stanchions to length, but this will wait until after the stanchions are painted).

49992814358_cf5b402d3d_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Hi, again!

I've finished building & painting the major parts for the Turbine Air Intake assembly, as shown below. :yahoo:

50019847446_16b8b17440_c.jpg

Time to get the glue out and complete the assembly.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 13

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

A great maritime jig saw 🤪

👏

Kev

I just hope we don't find we have a piece missing at the end of the build.  :lol:

52 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Yes lots of bits and no instructions just like how I build mine :whistle:

beefy 

No instructions mean no one can say you're doing it wrong.  :winkgrin:

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

A labour of Love on those stanchions John - but worth it.
Good find with the coffee metal filter - JUST what was needed :coolio:

Rob

Thanks Rob!

The stanchions look a lot better with a coat of paint.

50021163842_9722626279_c.jpg

I originally came up with the idea of using the coffee filter as a screen for my Elco PT boat build engine room hatch, as shown below.

46096793721_502d33fcfb_c.jpg

I had seen the coffee filter used before some time ago, on one of the aircraft modelling sites.  The size of the filter openings seems to work perfectly for window/vent screens at 1/72 scale.  Here's a close-up photo.

50020368333_26be6b2a4e_c.jpg

John

• Like 11

Amazing work there John, not just the physical work on all those fiddly little bits but the planning that must have gone into tracking down references & turning them into solid objects. It continues to blow me away. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Amazing work there John, not just the physical work on all those fiddly little bits but the planning that must have gone into tracking down references & turning them into solid objects. It continues to blow me away. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve!

It's really a labour of love for me.  I'm guessing that for every hour of scratch building, I've spent at least that long researching.  Even more time spent researching on builds like Brave Borderer where there's very little detailed information readily available.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is why my builds take so long. :doh:

John

• Like 3

Finally, the turbine air intake structure is complete. :yahoo:

Here's a photo of the finished air intake assembly.

50035095376_a8c4504035_c.jpg

This completes Brave Borderer's main superstructure.

50035355212_b2f20fca53_c.jpg

And, one more photo showing the completed superstructure dry fitted on the main deck.

50035100006_ea8d54d532_c.jpg

Next, I'll be focusing on detailing the main deck.

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe!

John

• Like 15