1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

When I first started to follow this build it immediately became an inspiration, but is now proving to be even more inspirational than I imagined. Excellent work indeed, and some of the items like model rail accessories as handrail knobs, really brings out some lateral thinking. I have had a small box of those things sitting in my old P4 scale railway box of accessories knowing they might one day find a use! Light bulb moment for me.

Amazing thread!

Terry

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

... We haven't heard a lot about how Canada is coping with the Bat Pox thing, we tend to hear more of Europe & your neighbors to the south. ... I hope that it is not too tough for you & yours & all our Canadian members. ...

Thanks Steve!

So far, so good for us, regarding the pandemic in Canada - 1430 confirmed corona virus cases & 20 deaths to date.  Our US friends to the south are reporting over 35,200 cases & 471 deaths.  The Canadian population is approx. 1/10th of the US, so statistically we're in relatively good shape.  I'm not a big fan of governments & politicians, but in our case our government has taken a number of proactive steps to prevent the virus spread, e.g. closing schools, closing our borders to non-essential traffic, closing non-essential businesses (stores, restaurants, bars :doh:) except for pharmacies, food stores (beer & liquor stores are still open), & gasoline stations.  This morning the Canadian olympic team announced that it will not attend the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (if they are held).  People here have been asked to exercise social distancing & self isolation to prevent spreading the virus (our prime minister's wife is currently in self isolation having been exposed to the virus in the UK).  This has worked to a point, but I can see more actions will need to be taken by the police & the military to enforce these steps, as the experts feel the virus hasn't peaked here yet.  As in most countries our stock market has tanked, but the government is taking immediate action to provide financial assistance to those in need who have lost their jobs due to closings associated with the virus.  It's interesting to see how how some industries here are stepping up to help, as well, e.g. some beer & whiskey distilleries are now making hand sanitizer, a local 3D printer company is making protective face shields for healthcare workers, & some manufacturing companies are changing their production lines to make protective clothing, face masks & respirators.  Earlier this month, there was a spurt of binge buying toilet paper & hand sanitizer, but the stores are slowly restocking these items.  There seems to be a lot going on to control the spread of the virus, but I'm sure a lot more can be done.

I can't express enough admiration & gratitude to the emergency & health care workers, as well as the essential service store employees, who hare putting their lives on the line to keep the virus impact & spread under control.  

John      

• Like 4

John - The latest pics demonstrate just how "clean and crisp" your modelling is.  Love the cleats and the "finial" on the mast is superb.

Wise words about the Canadian experience.  As you are hearing - we are in the Ramp-up phase in UK.  Getting increasingly uncomfortable.  We all suspect Boris is going to announce close to a lockdown later this evening.

It won't apply to me as (Lucky fellow as I am) I work in health.

Keep this wonderful thread going!

Rob

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Wise words about the Canadian experience.  As you are hearing - we are in the Ramp-up phase in UK.  Getting increasingly uncomfortable.  We all suspect Boris is going to announce close to a lockdown later this evening.

It won't apply to me as (Lucky fellow as I am) I work in health.

Sage advice Rob, thank you, and of course a massive thanks and much respect to you and everyone working in health right now. You are all always valued, and now are our heroic front line. 

40 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Keep this wonderful thread going!

Indeed. A tonic for us all at this time, and an expert lesson in modelling in this scale I would say!

Stay safe all.

Terry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another update & more tiny scratch built parts. :hypnotised:

I've just about finished the exterior of Brave Borderer's bridge superstructure.  Here's a photo showing the new scratch built parts glued in place.

49728992931_29a8373030_c.jpg

There's still a couple of parts left, but I'm having trouble finding descriptions to build from.  Hopefully, I'll find something as the overall build proceeds.

Like most of my time consuming models, I usually take a moment to refresh my old brain by reviewing where I'm at and revisiting what the finished model should look like.  I find this (& a little wine) keeps my modelling juices flowing & helps me to keep motivated over the long term.

To that end, here's a pic showing the model as it stands today, with a photo of Brave Borderer for comparison.

49728934126_0233003c9f_c.jpg

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way (& I've had my glass of wine), I'm ready to add all the bridge parts & masts to complete the bridge superstructure.  :analintruder:

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe & healthy.

John

• Like 14

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

Simply stunning work and attention to detail ......

The Gold Standard

Stay safe

Kev

Couldn’t agree more always look forward to seeing the updates on this John 👍

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 12:44 PM, JohnWS said:

To that end, here's a pic showing the model as it stands today, with a photo of Brave Borderer for comparison.

49728934126_0233003c9f_c.jpg

Okay, now that I've got that out of the way (& I've had my glass of wine), I'm ready to add all the bridge parts & masts to complete the bridge superstructure.  :analintruder:

Thanks for looking.

Stay safe & healthy.

John

Getting there, getting there. :D No, so much more than that. Sublime is a word that springs to mind. :) 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Hello, again!

I've been working away at completing Brave Borderer's open bridge.  As most of you will recall, my original plan for Brave Borderer's build was to rework Tamiya's Perkasa model.  It turned into a major project, including rebuilding the bridge superstructure as shown below.

49230426588_bb1998cfed_c.jpg

The good news is ... Brave Borderer's bridge is finally complete:yahoo:  It only took about 4 months. :waiting:

Here's a few overhead shots of the completed bridge superstructure, prior to adding the masts.

49753665878_e0e7fc948a_c.jpg

49754198926_2724343965_c.jpg

I've glued in all the bridge subassemblies included in my previous posts, plus added the windscreen, two scratch built azimuth compasses (the compass faces are printouts of reduced photos from the 'net), and two reworked torpedo sights taken from the Perkasa model.

49754197391_742114ab48_c.jpg

And, finally a couple of close-up photos of the completed open bridge assembly.

49754200931_cd8670e8f6_c.jpg

Next up, I'll be adding the masts & supports.

Thanks for looking. 

Stay safe & healthy.

John

• Like 19

There’s just so much going on in such a small space I have to keep going back and look again in case I have missed something 👍

beefy 

1 minute ago, beefy66 said:

There’s just so much going on in such a small space I have to keep going back and look again in case I have missed something 👍

beefy 

Yes, it certainly is busy.  I've wondered why the actual bridge wasn't enclosed to protect all those controls & gadgetry.  That would have made modelling her a lot easier, too. :)

John

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the 'likes' and very kind comments.

Here's a photo I took this morning in our backyard.  These guys looked like they were resting in the sun before their busy day distributing Easter eggs.

49762744712_bb61d8027c_c.jpg

Happy Easter & stay healthy.

John

• Like 3

I've added the nav radar, IFF, & pole masts & their support members to the bridge superstructure. 

Here's a couple of photos showing the masts;

49770260233_6fb9a3f3e9_c.jpg

49771120942_602b053f05_c.jpg

... and a photo of the finished bridge superstructure dry fit on the main deck;

49770796001_ae732c806f_c.jpg

Next, it's moving on to finish the Bofors gun platform ahead of the bridge, & then complete the turbine air intake structure that's abaft the bridge.  Once those are completed, I'll be able to rig the radio aerial wires.

Thanks again for looking in.

Stay healthy!

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 10