1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

35 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

... On the pole mast the white wrap around parts are they tube plastic with the main up wright being brass or cooper ...

Hi beefy.

The pole mast is made from .062" Dia. (14 AWG) copper house wire.

The white bands were made from 3/32" (2.36 mm) O.D. plastic tubing with the I.D. drilled out to fit over the copper wire.

The yardarm is made from a round wood toothpick sanded to size & cut to length.

John

• Like 2

It's turned out that after a coat of primer, the bridge superstructure has required a lot more putty & sanding than I had anticipated.

The superstructure is starting to look a little rough & it reminded me of a series of photos I've seen of two decommissioned Danish Søløven Klassen boats rotting away dockside.

49469380046_1a4705b29a_c.jpg

I started to think that maybe I should change direction on this build, but then I thought, maybe not! :doh:  

John :giggle:

• Like 8

On 29/01/2020 at 22:35, JohnWS said:

Brave Borderer's masts were hinged so that they could be lowered.

Do You have a photo or drawing of the masts in the lowered position? I wonder what it looks like.

Dmitriy

46 minutes ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Do You have a photo or drawing of the masts in the lowered position? I wonder what it looks like. ...

Sorry no photos or drawings.  Brave Borderer had a 'crutch' for each mast, located on the roof of the superstructure abaft the bridge.  Each mast rested in a crutch when in the lowered position.

John

I have those drawings.  They are good for general reference, but I'd caution you using them.  I've found a number of dimensional discrepancies from my reference drawings.   Since there isn't much detailed reference material for the Brave class boats, I've had to use my own judgement a number of times and build the parts that look close to the information I do have.

The mast included in the drawing is not exactly the same as the one shown in my reference photos.  That's not to say it's wrong, but just maybe an earlier or later version.

John

Thank you for your answer. Yes, there is very limited accurate information in the BB drawings.

I will continue to follow your work on this ship with interest.

Dmitriy

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2020 at 17:15, Dmitriy1967 said:

Do You have a photo or drawing of the masts in the lowered position? I wonder what it looks like.

Dmitriy

I looked through my references & found this photo of Brave Borderer in Paris.  The masts are in the lowered position & it looks like the radar aerial has been removed (probably to fit under the low bridges on the Seine).  The lowered IFF mast is visible.

HMS Brave Borderer in Paris

John

A quick update.

I've started to reassemble the bridge, after painting.

Here's a couple of photos showing the assembled bridge enclosure test fit into the superstructure, with some of the bridge equipment dry fit in the enclosure.

49488020748_3c977f3bb4_c.jpg

49488018223_391fccf809_c.jpg

Next, I'll glue the bridge enclosure into the superstructure & blend the enclosure walls with the edges of the superstructure bridge opening with a little putty.  Then on to finishing the bridge details.

Thanks for looking.

John

• Like 16

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

Beautiful work .....

Kev

51 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

John  - from where I 'm sitting that bridge assembley looks pretttty smooooth B)

Rob

25 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Cracking job should not need that much filling from what I can see 👍

beefy

Thank you!

Putty is my friend on this build with all its curves & angles.

I test fitted the bridge enclosure at least a dozen times, but when I was gluing it together I was surprised to find the bridge's deck was too big.  There was no paint build up on the edges, but I ended up having to cut off a couple of millimetres to make it fit.  Really weird.   Also the Evergreen plastic I used for the bulkheads warped a little when  painted. That made gluing it together challenging.  But, everything seems to fit okay now.  The next challenge will be to keep the bridge dust free & masked to prevent overspray  when puttying & painting the edges.

Kev, note that I don't need to use your pen. :fraidnot:  I did some recon in our stationery drawers & found the pen used in the photos.  It's kind of neat that it has the measuring scales for size comparison.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Kev, note that I don't need to use your pen. :fraidnot:  I did some recon in our stationery drawers & found the pen used in the photos.  It's kind of neat that it has the measuring scales for size comparison.

Go on admit it you have just been given a new pen for Christmas 😆

beefy

Hello again!

The bridge control panel is finished. :yahoo:

49511382113_ecc20473af_c.jpg

I was able to use the voice pipe & wheel from the Perkasa model.  The small black buttons are 1/48 scale Archer rivets; gauge faces are paper printouts cut to size; torpedo & throttle levers, & the flashlight (torch) are stretched plastic sprue; lever tracks are black decals cut to size; & the telephone handset cord is coiled (very) small gauge wire.  The telephone handset & compass were scratch built using Evergreen plastic rod & strip.

49511538878_257de4d7a9_c.jpg

Whew, for such a small part that was a lot of work!

Next up :drink:

49511894861_c1904e2a00_c.jpg :)

Thanks for looking.

John

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

On 04/02/2020 at 17:24, JohnWS said:

I looked through my references & found this photo of Brave Borderer in Paris.  The masts are in the lowered position & it looks like the radar aerial has been removed (probably to fit under the low bridges on the Seine).  The lowered IFF mast is visible.

HMS Brave Borderer in Paris

John

Unfortunately, the link doesn't open. Report an error.

Dmitriy

7 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Working for me, maybe a firewall or server problem.

Steve.

Yes, this is a problem with access to this site from Russia. For some reason, our access is disabled. This is my problem... 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Try copying the address into your search engine & see if that works.

John

I already tried that. I wrote a message that the website www.alamy.com included in the list of banned in Russia. Politics.... No comments....