1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

Thanks everyone!

6 hours ago, longshanks said:

... I can only imagine the effort and language that has gone into this beautiful rendition ...

I don't know if you noticed, but I keep a first aid kit handy in case things get out of hand.  :wtf:

49233304456_105ac9d90c_c.jpg

:rofl:

John

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Great work so far John as for the first aid kit every model room should have one I normally have to replace mine every weekend  :drink:

just to ensure it is kept fresh and fit for purpose you understand  :drunk: I wouldn't want it to go out of date

beefy

• Haha 4

Christmas shopping is finished, so I was able to spend a little time modelling.

I've scratch built the remaining 3 large deck structures, again using Evergreen plastic card in various thicknesses.

49261051122_f0b3e75f46_c.jpg

Here's a couple of photos showing the main structures dry fitted;

49260861476_ba6321e68a_c.jpg

She's starting to look a little like Brave Borderer;

49261062867_b587621f5d_c.jpg

Since this will probably be my last update until after Christmas, I'd like to wish everyone here on BM a very ...

49214900552_503da57bd4_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

John

• Like 7

There was a committee for the camel?

I thought it was a Friday afternoon 'let's knock this out quick and go home to sleep off the liquid lunch' thing.

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year, everyone!  🥳

I've been able to spend more time on this build, but unfortunately haven't got a lot to show for it.  It seems the smaller the parts, the more time it takes.

I been focusing my time on adding a few details to the main superstructure and the bridge.

The superstructure details included little things like drip rails over the door openings, window frames/mouldings, trim around the bridge opening, and the most time consuming part - the spray/wind deflector around the large superstructure opening, as shown below.  All these parts were made using white Evergreen plastic sheet or strip. 

49386628613_93f0a81a6d_c.jpg

Next, the bridge.

49387101731_de70ab7c6b_z.jpg

I want to air brush as much of the bridge as possible.  So, I decided to make a separate bridge enclosure that could be assembled in the superstructure after the bridge is detailed and painted.  The four bridge bulkheads & deck were assembled using tape to allow detailing & dry fitting of the bridge sub-assemblies, and then allow disassembly for painting.  

49387105801_c7c4968c31_c.jpg

I've built the main control panel & the helm (using the Perkasa model's ship's wheel), the bulkhead separating the bridge into two parts, the storage lockers that are located along the aft bridge bulkhead, and three doors, all using white Evergreen plastic sheets of various thicknesses.  I've also drawn & printed off decals for the main control panel,  My plan is to use the decals, augmented by bits of plastic, to give the panel a 3D appearance once the panel is painted.

49401767716_71e00e5c1d_c.jpg

There's still lots of work to do on the bridge, e.g. locker latches, compasses, torpedo & gun sights, Captain's chair, etc., plus painting.

The subassemblies dry fitted in the bridge enclosure ...

49386634563_522929cb27_c.jpg

And finally, the enclosure was dry fitted in the superstructure.

49386636778_5d2860f396_c.jpg

Next up, continue adding more details to the bridge and superstructure. 🥴

Thanks for following along.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 12

Excellent work John.

I was looking at your bridge enclosure and was wondering how you were going to fit it as the 'bridge door' on the fwd bulkhead was in the way, until I noticed the small clearance behind said door. As a matter of interest, why didn't you put the bridge door onto the bridge enclosure? Also, how did you fit the frames and drip rails? Nosy me.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Great job John!

I'm also going to build a Brave Borderer on a 1/35 scale. I'm collecting information about him now. Your photos and story help a lot.

Thank you very much!

Sorry for my English language.

Dmitriy

Edited by Dmitriy1967
  • Thanks 1

Hi Stuart,

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

... As a matter of interest, why didn't you put the bridge door onto the bridge enclosure? ...

Just personal preference, I guess.  The trim along the top of the bridge bulkhead was glued around the bridge opening in the superstructure.  I wanted good alignment & a nice clean joint where the top of the door 'frame' is glued to the 'L' shape corner trim piece, so I glued that joint first.

49389432091_1618988de8_z.jpg

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

... how did you fit the frames and drip rails? ...

I cut the frames & rails from .4 mm thick plastic sheet & glued them in place over (around) the window opening using Tamiya extra thin cement.  Cutting the frames was a real pain & resulted in a lot of rejects before I had the 4 good pieces that I needed.

John

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Details, details, & more details! :blush:

Work continues on the bridge.

49457289358_f8f3973c11_c.jpg

Here's a photo showing the details I've added since my last update,

49457765146_074b64d3c7_c.jpg

Brave Borderer's masts were hinged so that they could be lowered.

[49458000797_331e42e8a5_c.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit, I disassembled the bridge enclosure & applied a coat of primer.  I used a thin primer for the details & a thicker primer for the superstructure.  The primer inevitably hi-lites my modelling flaws, so I used the thicker primer to allow me to sand down any visible surface issues.  I'm also keeping putty handy to fill in any voids made visible by the primer. :oops:

49460344983_be6a73af03_c.jpg

49461281577_3a86dda484_c.jpg

Next up, there's still a few more details required to be made to complete the bridge, e.g. a fire extinguisher, compasses, control panel instrumentation, hand rails, Captain's chair, & wind screen.  Also, I need to determine the finish paint colour for the bridge bulkheads.  So, lots of work remaining on this build.

Thanks for stopping by & following along.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

For future pics, is it possible to add an item to emphasise scale as I'd love to know how small those smaller bits are.

Will do!

I may have to borrow Kev's pen. :)

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Great job on the masts very meticulous work as usual 

On the pole mast the white wrap around parts are they tube plastic with the main up wright being brass or cooper 

:book:

cheers beefy 

• Thanks 1