1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

Thanks, Jeff!  Much appreciated. 

Now, if I just could stop doing the same thing over again two or three times until I'm satisfied, my build would go a lot quicker. :doh:

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

A milestone has been reached - The transom is finished. :yahoo:

49134263148_2ecf0f11eb_c.jpg

The transom ended up being a good size scratch build project.  It was fun seeing all those parts come together.  I was only able to reuse the Perkasa kit's exhaust flaps.  I wasn't able to identify Brave Borderer's actual transom colour, other than noting that the transom appears to be a darker colour than the hull sides, as shown in black & white photos.  The Perkasa's model kit instructions call for its transom to be painted black. I decided to paint the Brave Borderer's transom a dark gunship grey.  It's dark, but still light enough to hi-lite the details.  I've also left the exhaust pipes a brass colour, for now.

Here are a couple of photos showing those transom details;

49134949487_9431e2b921_c.jpg

49134758056_c16063b177_c.jpg

Next up, I'll be adding some main deck details, & then start building the superstructure.  👍

Thanks again for looking in.

John

• Like 13

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

As per usual this is going to be museum quality all the way .........

:thumbsup:

Kev

Agree!

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice rear-end there...not yours, Borderer's.:yes:

Stuart

Steady......:lol:

John - lovely crisp clean work

Rob

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Looking Good John I like the brass work round the tubes and of course all the fine details :yes:

beefy

Thanks, beefy.  I think the brass should oxidize with age & really look the part.

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

As per usual this is going to be museum quality all the way .........

:thumbsup:

Kev

Thanks Kev!  No seagulls with this build, just for you. :rofl:

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Nice rear-end there...not yours, Borderer's.:yes:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart!  BTW, what's wrong with my rear-end?  :D

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Agree!

Steady......:lol:

John - lovely crisp clean work

Rob

Thanks  Rob.  Glad you like it.

58 minutes ago, seadog said:

Superlative work!

Thanks Fraser!  Much appreciated.

John

• Haha 3

Next up the bridge superstructure.

I've been looking at how to to make Brave Borderer's superstructure by modifying the Perkasa model's bridge .  There are a number of differences between the BB & Perkasa  superstructures, e.g. shape, height, length, width & bridge layout.

Here's a photo I posted earlier with a BB drawing overlayed on the Perkasa model, showing some of those differences.

48068337878_d1f6ffbe43.jpg

I thought the best way to find what Perkasa parts I could use for the BB build was to cut the Perkasa superstructure apart & compare the resulting bits & pieces to the BB drawings & photos.  In addition to reusing some of the bridge components, I think I can reuse some of the superstructure bulkhead parts, as shown in the next photo.

49155285547_0ba8fa7a77_c.jpg

Now the work begins!  Wish me luck.

Thanks again for checking in.

John

• Like 12

Thanks everyone for your comments & support!

The superstructure is going to be a challenge - lots of curves & angles that will result in a lot of trial & error.  I'm going have to keep the putty handy.

As for being an author Kev, I'm not sure I want to share my building experiences (my building mistakes). :wall: It would have to be an X-rated book.  :rant:  

John :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well she's not pretty, but she looks the part.

49230686821_79694f8ecc_c.jpg

After a lot of filing, sanding, puttying, filing, sanding, puttying, ... (you get the picture), I finally finished the outside shell of Brave Borderer's main superstructure, using the two repurposed Perkasa model parts and various thicknesses of Evergreen white plastic sheets.  The many curves & angles offered quite a challenge.  As it turned out, reworking the Perkasa model's plastic parts took the most time.

49230426588_bb1998cfed_c.jpg

In addition to having no chart/wheel house, I found BB's superstructure very different to Perkasa's, e.g the size & overall shape including the front door covers' curved profile and narrower width.

I ran into a problem when filing and sanding to obtain the new curve profile for the front door covers.  I needed to remove so much plastic material that the wall thickness ended up too thin to hold its shape.  To fix this problem, I reinforced the underside of the curved portion with a layer of putty, let it dry, then drilled small holes in the thin area, filled the holes with CA glue, let them dry, and then sanded the areas smooth.  The combination of the putty & CA glue added the strength needed for the plastic to hold its shape.

49230918602_75fbf6175a_c.jpg

The superstructure also includes two semicircular bumps, one on either side of the bridge.

48068381057_f47a74e5f9_c.jpg

I found a string of 15mm diameter wooden beads at the local Michaels store.  These were relatively easy to cut to the required shape (Bandsaw Steve would be pleased :D).

49233359877_7fbd14e9cf_c.jpg

The next two photos show the build status to date.

49230924987_f3f5f95d6c_c.jpg

49230700831_18a085bf8b_c.jpg

The plan is to build the bridge separately & glue it in the superstructure shell, in the hole provided.

Before building the bridge & adding the finish detail to the main structure's shell, I plan on building the aft turbine air intake structure next.  I'm not sure how much time I'll have to work on it over Christmas, but hopefully I can finish it early in the new year. 

Thanks for looking in.

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 11

Really excellent! Some nice lateral thinking - the beads :) ThiThink I've said it before, but the Borderers are, I think, about the finest coastal vessels we ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1