1/72 HMS Brave Borderer

Over the last few years, my model building has focused on 1/72 WWII 70 foot & 80 foot Motor Torpedo boats.  I thought it would be fun to see how the 90 foot Brave-Class boats compare in size.  The Brave-Class are big boats by comparison.  

48739624777_5c73f832be_z.jpg

48739021971_49bbbfd9c5_b.jpg

48739205837_a4f41cbf78_b.jpg

I found it interesting to see how MTB design & performance changed from the 1940's to the late 1950's.

• Like 13

Yeah, really obvious when you look at the little 70 footers, and what they managed to carry in the way of weaponry.  In the case of MTBs bigger was definitely better .

Really enjoying watching this conversion happening. By the way, could you tell me who does your name plates?

Cheers

F

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, seadog said:

... could you tell me who does your name plates? ...

The nameplates are homemade (something to do with my Scottish ancestors & money :rolleyes: )

I use a combination of Photoshop & MS Powerpoint, starting with images of a brass nameplate, flags, etc. downloaded from the Internet.  Powerpoint has nice shadow techniques & engraving fonts to give a 3D appearance.  I print the image on glossy photo paper to give it a shiny appearance.

e.g.

48743586243_1b56dd4126.jpg

John

Edited by JohnWS
  • Like 5

:)  Been having a go at doing one for my Scottish maid as the actual engraved plaque I had down is really hard to read. Seems to be going well, so far ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Remember the 1964/5 P.F.Sloan/Barry McGuire song - "Eve of Destruction"?  Well, I've been doing a little more destruction on the Perkasa model to salvage as many parts as possible.

48823548122_c37e55d7ab_c.jpg

Once I had the parts removed & bagged, I turned my attention to seeing what Perkasa parts could be used for the Brave Borderer build.  I was surprised to find that many of the parts were a larger scale than 1/72, e.g. the round deck vents :doh:.  There are 12 of these little guys required for the BB build, & I was hoping I could use the Perkasa vents to save time & effort.  Unfortunately, being a stickler for detail, I found the Perkasa vents were larger in diameter than shown in the BB detailed drawings.  They also looked different than shown in photos of the actual vent.   I decided that I would try to scratch build the vents from plastic tube & rod, & make decals for added detail.

Here's a photo showing my first attempt at making a round deck vent.  It shows a new (unpainted) vent with the detail decal applied.  A photo of the actual vent and the larger scale Perkasa model's vent are also included for comparison.

48823550032_62e85f3c52_c.jpg

I wanted to use the Perkasa model's deck hatch covers, as they look great & include some very nice detail.  The Perkasa hatches were molded into the plastic deck, so I needed to cut them out & rebuild the round hatch frames using plastic card to obtain the proper height.  The diameter of the hatch covers is a little oversize for the BB build, but I'm going to use them as-is so the molded detail can be retained.

48823032388_c0fa007840_c.jpg

Brave Borderer has 17 deck vents, including four different types/shapes of vents.  I plan on scratch building all the vents.

Thanks for looking in.

John

• Like 13

3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Always lovely to see the detail you lavish on the model - keep it coming John

I was also hugely impressed by that plaque!!!

Rob

I'm afraid that I totally unashamedly copied his beautiful plaque idea for the HMS Zinnia build.     😊

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JohnWS said:

& Brave Borderer would be nothing more than a dream.

:hmmm: Just sitting here thinking as you do ................... sorry nodded off.

Brave Borderer was one of those boats I always wanted to build. After years of searching I got the Tamiya Perkasa at Telford last year at a reasonable price. Got a set of plans and ................................................

along came John.

Now I can sit here and watch John do all the hard work leaving me free to pursue other improbable dreams.

Keep up the great work John, really enjoying your build

kev

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, longshanks said:

... Now I can sit here and watch John do all the hard work leaving me free to pursue other improbable dreams.

So, let me get this straight Kev ... you're the thinker & I'm the doer ... at least on this build. :rofl:

I really do appreciate your support & that of the others on BM who are following this build.  

We're supposed to get our first ground frost tonight, & that's usually a good motivator to start my winter modelling season in earnest.   Hopefully, I'll have a lot more to show in the upcoming weeks.

John

• Like 2

Hello again!

A tiny update for tiny parts.

I mentioned in a previous post that Brave Borderer had four different deck vent configurations.  I've completed constructing all 17 of these vents from plastic tube & sheet, as shown in the photo below.

48852117328_ab5452e047_c.jpg

I also completed drawing & printing the vent detail decals using Photoshop.

48853421356_593a79683f_c.jpg

Next up will be priming & painting vents & then applying the decals.  But this will have to wait for a few days, as I've lost my basement modelling area while we have a new furnace & duct work installed.

Thanks again for looking.

John

• Like 3