Grumman Avenger 1/48th

It's  a pretty outstanding kit to start with but this one's taken it to another level,great work and special praise for that damn Torpedo!

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys. 

Vince, models and photography, both a passion. Thanks mate.

Thanks Steve, the kit is a joy to build, and the torpedo, well when Alclad shows up to the party, she certainly makes an entrance!

• Like 1

Lovely work But a word of warning for future builders, I managed to split the seam from cockpit to fin as I put the turret in at the end of the build - that'll teach me to folow instructions!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Lovely work But a word of warning for future builders, I managed to split the seam from cockpit to fin as I put the turret in at the end of the build - that'll teach me to folow instructions!

Fair warning. I could well imagine that happening.

That said, I've got three of these now and each one I have done, I have left the turret off until after completion. Each time I have thought what have I done, she will never go in but they all have. Hand on heart it is a relief when they do ( and the turret not come apart in your hand) but it can be done. Putting it in earlier in the sequence would mean for even trickier masking but both ways have merits.

The 4inch long bomb bay roof in this kit is about the most beautiful part in any kit I have ever come across. So much so that on the latest build I have left the bay empty just so the detail can be seen. Pictures at some point when I next break out the Nikon.

If anything lets the kit down! perhaps  the clatrity of the extensive glazing is not quite in a par with more modern mouldings. For that reason I fancy a pop at a hobbyboss Avenger at some point as Hobbyboss clear parts in my experience are glorious. That said, that kit has a wing fold as standard , something which I wouldn't use though I would fear that the wings, if extended, may be a weak point of the kit?

Oh the dilemma..........

Wow - that is absolutely beautiful. One of the best looking Avengers I have ever seen. What Alclad color and process did you use on the torpedo? Did you use Alclad black for a primer on the torpedo and what sealer did you use, if any? Looks extremely realistic. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Hobo
  • Like 1

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to give feedback.

Hobo- the torpedo is polished aluminium over trusty Tamiya gloss black. Never felt the need to spend the kids dinner money on any other. X1 goes down really smooth when mixed with mr colour levelling thinner then it’s just a case of Alclad sprayed sparingly until you have the level of shine you want. There is NO sealer on the torpedo. 

Final sealer on the aircraft  was a thin coat of Galleria satin varnish. INHO Too much of any varnish can kill all that time you spent varying the paintwork effects. I personally think too flat a finish looks as unrealistic as too shiny a finish. There is a middle ground there somewhere.🤙

Edited by gryphon28