***Finished***Now Frog Ar234

PhantomBigStu

seem to have missed an update, fully assembled the arado last Sunday though not done anything futher than paint it a base coat of rlm65 and fill some gaps, however I have finished the v-1, normally see them with rlm65 undersides but frogs guide doesn't show it. 

48574010656_6d6569e142_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I really like the Arado 234, and delighted you are building one in this GB.

Any more progress since we last heard from you ?

Cheers Pat 

Nope, though here it looks as per my last post, other builds (hoping my next silver spraying session will be the last on the fairy delta) have sapped the attention as has our recent furry arrival 

48617524738_e87d708057_b.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 5

Managed to sand the underside on bank holiday Monday, only to discover I had put the engine nacelle undersides on backwards, so more sanding and painting and they are done, now to paint the RLM71 basecoat before the splinter coat which I shall have to guess/make up the pattern as the contrast is too low on frogs guide 

Hi,

As mentioned several times in my build threads, when Frog produced this kit they and indeed most kit manufacturers were still under the impression that all German planes were painted in variations of either 70/71/65 ot perhaps various greys. The RAF shot an Arado down in February 45 relatively intact and I have a picture which is said to show it in the late war scheme of 81/82 over 76, which would make sense. It has also been given a light grey wash as winter camo. The preserved one in NASM is in the the 81/82/bluish 76 scheme, which is the same colours as my He162. Hope that helps.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry,

No idea what V1 colours were if any - bit pointless painting them when they only flew for a few minutes, but I expect the Germans did it anyway. Green on top and blue underneath seems logical - must be some pics available somewhere,. The 234 I said the RAF shot down may perhaps be the same one that had an engine flame out and was captured by US troops  - seems to be the same date, but the pic did show RAF Roundels. Whatever.

Later, found pics of a couple of V1  - light blue probably 76 unders and an olivy green uppers, perhaps 82, either solid with a wavy demarcation about half way up the side, or perhaps a fairly heavy mottle - take your pic.

Looking good so far - I built my Frog one as the twin engined 243B but used the spare twins to convert my ancient Lindberg kit to a 234C. I probably used Frog's spurious colour scheme as I did not have any other info in those days.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PeterB said:

Sorry,

No idea what V1 colours were if any - bit pointless painting them when they only flew for a few minutes, but I expect the Germans did it anyway. Green on top and blue underneath seems logical - must be some pics available somewhere,. The 234 I said the RAF shot down may perhaps be the same one that had an engine flame out and was captured by US troops  - seems to be the same date, but the pic did show RAF Roundels. Whatever.

Later, found pics of a couple of V1  - light blue probably 76 unders and an olivy green uppers, perhaps 82, either solid with a wavy demarcation about half way up the side, or perhaps a fairly heavy mottle - take your pic.

Looking good so far - I built my Frog one as the twin engined 243B but used the spare twins to convert my ancient Lindberg kit to a 234C. I probably used Frog's spurious colour scheme as I did not have any other info in those days.

Cheers

Pete

No worries, pics suggest they were painted in late war green and light blue so I shall repaint it as per the main aircraft, thanks for the help

• Like 1