Fiat G.55

Misterfriend

Hello Chaps

Thought I'd jump in on this one. Had so little time for modelling the last few years but fingers crossed I can get this done. Didn't really build any Frog kits as a kid. My local model shop, Teddington Model Shop, now sadly gone, didn't stock them. I mainly built Airfix and Matchbox and occasionally saved my pennies for a Tamiya kit, although I think I spent more time drooling over the Tamiya catalogue than building their kits! 

I'm going to build this little beauty just as our amphibian overlords intended, straight OOB no additions. Not sure about the decals, the protective topsheet has fused with the decals, maybe they were somewhere humid? I will do a test with the German markings and see if the top sheet floats off when they are made wet. I have loads of Italian decals but they are all for the Regia Aeronautica and not for the Aeronautica Nazionale Repubblicana but I think I have some Egyptian ones that would work but I'd rather do a splotchy Italian bird, so to speak. 

Cheers

Segan

fiat2.jpg

fiat3.jpg

fiat1.jpg

• Like 10

It's great to see one of these beautiful Italian fighters being built here. Should your decals not be usable, some of our generous GB members are kindly offering spares if required. Take a look at this thread, you will find a few of these G.55 sheets in the attached spare decal photograph. Being a fellow overseas modeller, you may want to help cover any applicable postage costs. 

Welcome aboard and looking forward to watching this come together. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Welcome to the Group Build. A G55 sounds like a really good idea.

As Dave mentions above, I have a load of old FROG decals, G55 included. If you need any, drop me a PM with your address and I'll post them on. 

Tony.

• Like 4

Thanks everyone, looking forward to this a lot! 

I’ll give the decals a test today, but I think I may be taking you up on your offer Tony, thank you! Not sure what postage is to the US at the moment but I can PayPal you whatever it costs.

Hi,

Built the Macchi 202 and almost bought this when it was still sold in a bag. Looking forward to seeing how this makes up.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

This isn't a kit I was aware of when it was in production. I'm following with interest. 

I did have the Macchi though, bagged version bought from a sub post office in the town. I think that was the first FROG kit I ever built. 

Must see if I can track one down. 

John 

• Like 1

Got a little bit done this morning. Painted up the pilot, he's a little hunched down, maybe he's been doing too many high G moves?

fiat4.jpg

And I finished the cockpit! 🤣 Quickest one I've ever done!

fiat5.jpg

Tested the decals today too. Tried a few methods to remove the protective sheet but it's pretty well fused to the decals, was hoping the water would lift it away. Had some success with isopropyl but it also started to remove the ink from the decals so no good. PMed Tony to take him up on his brilliant offer for some replacements, what a star! 

fiat6.jpg

Cheers

Segan

• Like 5

Construction is whizzing along! Drilled the wing cannons and air intake. Strapped the wings and leaving them to set overnight as they had a nasty gap at the root, hopefully this will solve it. Should be minimal amount of filler after this. 

fiat7.jpg

• Like 6

Construction is done. Little bit of filler, mainly a swipe of Mr Surfacer along some seams. Went to together very smoothly.

fiat8.jpg

Don't seem to have an exact match for Italian underside grey but think I'll go for C or E, they are both Gull Gray from Modelmaster but one is acrylic and the other enamel. Haven't been able to find any pictures of a G.55 done in the boxart scheme so it may be a product of a fevered amphibian brain, who knows but I'm doing it in that finish either way! 

fiat9.jpg

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

By Jove Dennis, yes it does! Thanks for the link and what a treasure trove that site is! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Misterfriend said:

By Jove Dennis, yes it does! Thanks for the link and what a treasure trove that site is! 

Actually not quite, it looks like a dark background with light mottle and this is light background with dark mottle. It's close though!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the radio silence chaps. Between work suddenly getting mentally busy and temporarily losing my workspace to a house guest I haven’t had a chance to do anything. Hopefully next week should be able to get back into it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happens to all of us buddy. Thanks for the update and look forward to some productive advancement with this little Fiat when you get the chance. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2