Hasegawa 1/72 Liberator SEAC

Hello All,

My interpretation of a 354 Sqn RAF Liberator that carried an all Australian crew. OOB. Interesting to note the different colour saturation between indoor under Fluoro lighting and late evening light.

Happy to take questions.

Ian

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 58
  • Thanks 1

An amazing looking Liberator in a very attractive scheme.  I think the weathering is spot on, considering the blistering heat and torrential rain these aircraft must have been subjected to.

I really like that, to begin with when I read Aussie crew, I was thinking foliage green uppers & I couldn't recall seeing those before but then when I read your intro again I saw 354 sqn RAF so OD uppers well faded & it all made sense, a great look you've achieved indeed. May I ask where the decals for this came from?

Steve.

Hello Steve, This is the DK decal sheet 1/72 72061 . I got mine from Hannants in the UK. The decals worked quite well. Their paint call out was overall PRU Blue which caused me to switch from building a Atlantic scheme bird to this one plus the Aussie connection was a bonus. Something a little different.

• Thanks 1

I like it! Nice weathering and quite interesting look for a rather bland option. It's a shame though that you didn't take time to paint the frames on nose and tail clear parts in green first 

Really beautiful. One of the best B-24's I've ever seen. Can you tell me how you weathered the model? I assume you just used various shades of blue.

Edited by Hobo

Hello All, Yes it is supposed to be RAF PRU Blue. The paint is a home brew mix of Gunze acrylic H56 intermediate blue and H42 aircraft grey with a touch of yellow. As far as the weathering process. primed Tamiya rattle can grey primer, panel line pre shade with midnight blue. some yellow patches sprayed in between some random panel lines and then the IB/AG paint mix built up over all. sealed in floor polish, decalled panel line pinwash with artists acrylic sepia. Flatcoat seal.  Humbrol 104 oxford blue enamel filter applied (5% paint 95% white spirit diluent) allowed to dry. Humbrol 19 bright Red filter added  to some panels (not all to give a purplish hue). Then a post shading with an acrylic mix of nato black and red brown (Tamiya). Oil dot mapping with custom mix of 3 shades of blue from a pale sky blue to a darkish blue and blended and streaked on upper wing surfaces. Left to dry for a couple of days and then I thought I needed to stop. Thanks for your interest.

Ian

Top stuff!

RAAF B-24's have always interested me, though I never really knew much on this variant.

Most of my info collection concerns RAAF J- and H- versions, with the turret nose and so forth.

Have to agree about the weathering and finishing - it's superb!

:clap::worthy::clap: