This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Rickoshea52

Sea King HAR3 - D Flight 202 Sqn, RAF Lossiemouth - Airfix 1/72

This is a return to a long stalled build prompted by the glut of Sea King builds I’ve been viewing recently. I really hoped this new version from Airfix would be a lot easier to build with more detail than the previous offering but I have to admit to being a little underwhelmed. There’s lots of areas that lack detail but the main one for me is the EAPS/SNIPS filter so I was please to see a decent aftermarket resin version appear. 

I was going to do this with the doors open but in the end I just don’t fancy it, I have another HAR3, HC4 and a Cyber Hobby AEW  in the stash so a more detailed build will happen sooner or later; I even have the CMK engine kit to make use of. 

FFB69A35-1994-4895-A9CD-9DC03728B065

59E847F2-2882-4E89-872D-00FAEA7F74E2

3ABE7BB6-6948-475E-B18F-D85243A9D50D

You have made a good start, the filters are really the weak point in the kit 

but can be made better by the Eduard PE set, not perfect but much better. 

The kit does have the feel that Airfix ran out of cash during the development of it 

because of the small niggly bits but I think its worth a go and can be turned into something special.

Regards

Dan 

Not to mention the featureless engine cowls, no pitch change links, wet fit floor and aerials. 

Quite addictive little builds aren't they, couldn't fault the fit of my cyber hobby one especially for under £12, I had to have pointers on details for  mine from Andy, but I expect you shall be going to town on this seeing as you know them first hand, I look forward to seeing it finished

Some paint, I hate yellow. Part way through painting I considered changing to DSG and adding the RWR fairings but decided to plough on. 

32FAD690-9B38-4E04-A79A-88D76EA8BA19

C5A8BD19-F3FD-412E-B48C-3B985E204738

Looking good so far.

What yellow did you use, is it from a rattle can? I've got one of these along with a Wessex, Whirlwind and Sycamore to do, all in RAF Rescue yellow!

On 18/08/2019 at 21:21, Lord Riot said:

Looking good so far.

What yellow did you use, is it from a rattle can? I've got one of these along with a Wessex, Whirlwind and Sycamore to do, all in RAF Rescue yellow!

I used Game Air Gold Yellow 72.707 with a gloss coat of Pledge Floor Care.  It sprayed nicely with a drop of thinner and retarder. The colour looks okay but it’s the under coats that haven’t come out so neat.