Sea King HAR3 - D Flight 202 Sqn, RAF Lossiemouth - Airfix 1/72

This is a return to a long stalled build prompted by the glut of Sea King builds I’ve been viewing recently. I really hoped this new version from Airfix would be a lot easier to build with more detail than the previous offering but I have to admit to being a little underwhelmed. There’s lots of areas that lack detail but the main one for me is the EAPS/SNIPS filter so I was please to see a decent aftermarket resin version appear. 

I was going to do this with the doors open but in the end I just don’t fancy it, I have another HAR3, HC4 and a Cyber Hobby AEW  in the stash so a more detailed build will happen sooner or later; I even have the CMK engine kit to make use of. 

FFB69A35-1994-4895-A9CD-9DC03728B065

59E847F2-2882-4E89-872D-00FAEA7F74E2

3ABE7BB6-6948-475E-B18F-D85243A9D50D

• Like 5

You have made a good start, the filters are really the weak point in the kit 

but can be made better by the Eduard PE set, not perfect but much better. 

The kit does have the feel that Airfix ran out of cash during the development of it 

because of the small niggly bits but I think its worth a go and can be turned into something special.

Regards

Dan 

• Like 1

Quite addictive little builds aren't they, couldn't fault the fit of my cyber hobby one especially for under £12, I had to have pointers on details for  mine from Andy, but I expect you shall be going to town on this seeing as you know them first hand, I look forward to seeing it finished

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Looking good so far.

What yellow did you use, is it from a rattle can? I've got one of these along with a Wessex, Whirlwind and Sycamore to do, all in RAF Rescue yellow!

On 18/08/2019 at 21:21, Lord Riot said:

Looking good so far.

What yellow did you use, is it from a rattle can? I've got one of these along with a Wessex, Whirlwind and Sycamore to do, all in RAF Rescue yellow!

I used Game Air Gold Yellow 72.707 with a gloss coat of Pledge Floor Care.  It sprayed nicely with a drop of thinner and retarder. The colour looks okay but it’s the under coats that haven’t come out so neat. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I’ve finally found the time and motivation to progress this and applied the decals last night but not without some hiccups. The black anti-slip paint decal for the RH side doesn’t fit the window aperture and the LH trans deck black panel has creased during drying. 
I also noted here are no sqn markings or servicing stencils for the airframe - the later 78 sqn boxing has a full compliment of them though 🤔 

EFECC827-1EFE-4DD0-BF74-2FCE6F2BDEDB 55C43AC1-AD4A-422C-A515-CA8106BFAE31

A5878C56-B193-4E43-ADA5-7BAD8D85149D

D5839FBB-F677-4BE6-81CA-3A6F1EB833F9

89771775-9063-41E6-B1C8-DD42D992A3CF

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It doesn’t look like much has changed but this cab has received its serial number, code letter and squadron markings now. Some of the black areas have been touched up and a few little other bits have been progressed - rotors, aerial masts etc. A pin was has been applied to the panel lines but I have deliberately tried to avoid high lifting the massively long vertical and horizontal lines and tried to keep it restricted to the access panels, to my eye and experience these are far more prominent. 

There is still some minor painting left to do; spotlights, exhaust and nav lights, then finally assembly can start after a sealing coat of varnish. 

1A72330C-6C46-4764-BE16-E96D05180088

6224DC26-6DDD-4B57-AB14-DCC4A6DA0263

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

I’m painting the tail rotor instead of using the kit decals. The white stripe has been painted and masked before the red was applied as can be seen here, the red has been masked and a silver paint pen used for the rotor tips. After black paint I can unmask and do the rotor hub and spindle. 

3339B3B7-6761-4890-9B34-5411095856D0

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timski1 said:

This is a sweet build coming along, any issues with warped blades? Had a airfix lynx and the blades were very nicely warped! 

None at all with the tail rotor or main rotors in the spread configuration, I haven’t looked at the folded main rotors. My only observation with the MRB is there isn’t an obvious droop to them. 

• Thanks 1

Looking good. Top tip if you are adding the exhaust staining: there was always more staining on the starboard side than on the port side.  Probably something to do with the action of the rotor downwash. The winch operators' lungs would have suffered the same effect...

Jon

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Looking good. Top tip if you are adding the exhaust staining: there was always more staining on the starboard side than on the port side.  Probably something to do with the action of the rotor downwash. The winch operators' lungs would have suffered the same effect...

Jon

Thanks Jonners, three years working on these heaps of junk taught me that, the area around the winch mounts always seemed particularly grubby too. I’ll be keeping the exhaust staining light, she only had a wash last week - I did plenty of them too. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

I did plenty of them too. 

👍 Helped with quite a few myself, to the utter disgust of some of my colleagues who didn't think it was an aircrew task!

I once spent ages scrubbing at the tar-like residue with a brush until one of the gingers eventually took pity and showed me where the solvent was stored.

Score: Engineers 1 - 0 Aircrew.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jonners said:

I once spent ages scrubbing at the tar-like residue with a brush

I thought you were going to say you were scrubbing the anti-slip coatings! Big up for helping to wash the cabs, none of our growbags would have bothered themselves to help us. 

• Like 2

Well the tail rotor didn’t work out as well as I hoped. 

93C62A75-F3FF-4465-834E-649C3D7F2F10

The rest of the build is slowly creeping closer to the finish line with lots of the sticky out bits attached.  The photos below illustrate how much is left to do, it’s mostly the aerial masts along the fuselage and on the belly as well as reworking the tail rotor paint. 
I did some head scratching about the orange band on the “stick grenade” aerial, I found some orange cantrail lining from a Fox Transfers set I bought years ago and pressed it into action. 
This new kit from Airfix doesn’t have the “grab handle” aerials on the sides of the tail included so I scratch made some from brass wire - perhaps I drilled the holes for them too big. 
The resin EAPS/SNIPS filter from Air Graphics is a massive improvement on the kit part. 

1C8C8610-CDC3-4708-8B12-15A653C410A5

A1A28B36-95C9-412D-A15C-F750863C009C

EE7BA943-A747-4A14-8437-A7B2B700E823

D927B06C-A895-4B48-B980-62DD124E7F69

19A94B2D-D445-47AB-B579-558B111F0361

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

Well the tail rotor didn’t work out as well as I hoped. 

93C62A75-F3FF-4465-834E-649C3D7F2F10

If I might suggest that the tip warning stripes are looking distinctly anorexic, and the red roots a tad short to boot? I believe each stripe is 6in wide:

spacer.png

(Pic from walkaround section)

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2020 at 00:13, andyf117 said:

If I might suggest that the tip warning stripes are looking distinctly anorexic, and the red roots a tad short to boot? I believe each stripe is 6in wide:

spacer.png

(Pic from walkaround section)

I used the decals in the end. 

All done. RFI in the link. 

• Like 1