Application Help for Tamiya XF-86 Flat Clear

Modelman9912

I'm a little new to modelling and was wondering if you guys had advice on applying Flat Clear Tamiya Paint.  I have finished all of the body paint for my F-14D and was wondering when I should apply the Flat Clear.  Before or after the decals are put on?  And before or after the panel line coloring/weathering has been put on?  Should I also expect the Flat Clear to make my model more resistant to scratching and wear?

Flat Clear, whether Tamiya's or another brand, is usually the last thing to go on. i don't use it, so I cannot speak to its durability. But if your models, like mine, just sit on a shelf, the only wear they will suffer is from a soft dusting brush.

After you have painted the model you should use a gloss clear before you apply decals. This will make the surface smooth. The decals will apply over a gloss surface without silvering. That's when air gets trapped under the carrier film of the decals. This will happen over matt paint/matt clear as it's rough not smooth. Apply the decals onto the gloss surface, then do your weathering, then when all is good and dry lastly apply the matt clear to matt everything down..

You can avoid the gloss coat simply by making sure your paint finish is smooth. See here for the best ever tutorial on applying decals by an award-winning modeler:

Edited by Space Ranger

16 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

You can avoid the gloss coat simply by making sure your paint finish is smooth...

Well you could use gloss "decal ready" paints, then you wouldn't even need to polish the matt paint at all, just go straight to decals..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sharknose said:

That guy is clearly skilled but that video is fake. 

When he is positioning the decal it is clearly edited.  He cuts out the part where you accidentally touch the tiniest No Step decal, it sticks to your finger,  you swear,  you frantically search for something to remove it from said finger,  you can see it drying,  you stick your finger in the water,  it comes off, you're relieved, then dismayed as it folds in itself, you get your tweezers out, etc etc etc

That's funny, but I know Paul's work, and it is not fake. However, I'm sure Paul himself would tell you he's had that same problem over the years.

1 hour ago, Steve Noble said:

Well you could use gloss "decal ready" paints, then you wouldn't even need to polish the matt paint at all, just go straight to decals..

That's another solution. Even a semi-gloss or satin finish eliminates the need to spray a gloss coat before applying decals. And you can create your own semi-gloss or satin finish by adding a bit of compatible gloss medium to your matt paint before spraying it. It does make the paint a bit transparent, but that, too, can be an advantage, especially if you like to "pre-shade" before applying the color coats.

12 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

That's funny, but I know Paul's work, and it is not fake. However, I'm sure Paul himself would tell you he's had that same problem over the years.

I was only joking mate. 

11 hours ago, Sharknose said:

I was only joking mate. 

I know you were, and as I said, it was funny, and I am sure Paul would think so as well, but in these days of "fake news" and altered videos, one has to be careful about what one posts, even on a modelling forum such as this one.

Edited by Space Ranger