HB 1/48 LCM-3 PA13-2, Operation Overlord

Here's the Hobby Boss 1/48 LCM-3 kit. I thought this would be OOB, but I soon found quite a lot of detail was off. Scratch building includes the entire ramp control system (bow sheaves, equalizing sheave and channel, cable guides, ramp lock release cable, athwartship cable sheaves and guides), cargo hold engine compartment vents, Mark 21-1 mounts, water barrel, bilge pump, boat hooks, life preserver ring rack, navigation lamp mast. rudders, and skegs. The control console was mostly rebuilt, the wheel was reshaped, and scratch engine throttles, ramp winch clutch, gyro compass repeater, and magnetic compass were added. Thachweave Products' TW02 fenders were added as was part of the Eduard PE set.

lcm-done22.jpg

The port bow, with ramp lock release cable above, ramp  cable below, equalizing  sheave and track, and the excellent hand-woven fender from Thachweave  Products .

lcm-done05.jpg

One of the boat hooks, Mark 21-1 mounts, conning station, water barrel, life preserver ring, and vents. I was able to make the Mark21-1 mount from the excellent info @longshanks provided.

lcm-done04.jpg

Bilge pump and a better view of the ramp cable run athwartship. The other boat hook is forward of the bilge pump, just barely in this view. @Arjan provided a photo similar to this that helped me understand the actual ramp cable run (through the hold) and the bilge pump.

lcm-done08.jpg

And the conning station with the control console, gyro compass repeater, magnetic compass. and fire extinguisher.

lcm-done11.jpg

Here's the WIP thread.

Edited by dnl42
  • Like 19