Reach for your Aviators! Valom NF-101A Voodoo 53-2438 1/72

Hi all,

I’m happy to report the roll out of my latest build, representing McDonnell NF-101A Voodoo 53-2438 which was used in the late fifties and early sixties as a test machine at Eglin AFB, Florida. At the date of the build she was being used to test aerodynamic “shapes” for the Hayes Industries Prometheus  supersonic drone programme. As a very early Voodoo – one of the first pre-production batch - she was simpler than the later fighters and thus for me it meant leaving out some aerials, nose cannons,  etc. Other than this she is straight out of the box with the exceptions that I note below. Maybe someone out there knows more about her but my year of searching has drawn a blank!

Very few photos seem to be available of this aircraft and so my references have been hard to interpret. I have, as a result, had to use a bit of “Modeller’s licence”, particularly when it comes to the layout of the International Red areas on the wings and tailplane. The most widely seen photo is the following:

c

As key feature of this aircraft was, of course, the drone "shape". This appeared to morph over time and so I’ve build a compromise. Examples of this are:

b

a

So what did I do/use? Well:

1.       Kit -Valom F-101A Voodoo 1/72

2.       Aftermarket – seat from Aires, Wheels from Aires

3.       Decals – Xtradecal national insignia, home drawn and printed serials etc. Xtradecal black and red lining. Mix of Microscale and kit stencils (the white stencils came from a Super scale F-4 set).

4.       Paint – Humbrol Polished Aluminium (27002), Model Master International Red (1775DE), Humbrol Steel (27003), Mixes of 27002 and 27003 for the rear end, Humbrol OD Green (155), Humbrol 147 Grey and others. Humbrol Glosscote (decalling and wash) and Satincote (final)

5.       Plastruct card and rod for the drone and under-nose pitot

So here she is. I hope you like her.

Martin

v1

v2

v3

v4

My eyes now need a rest....... I'm leaving the International Red and 'Red-Orange on the shelf for a while :). Adobe Lightroom doesn't cope well with dayglo either!

Edited by RidgeRunner
new images
  • Like 59
  • Thanks 4

That's a loud color for an Interceptor but it surely spiced up your display shelf. i think I need something similar for my shelf,either the Voodoo or a Starfighter.Hopefully it will as eye catching as your excellent build.

16 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

That's a loud color for an Interceptor but it surely spiced up your display shelf. i think I need something similar for my shelf,either the Voodoo or a Starfighter.Hopefully it will as eye catching as your excellent build.

A Starfighter @Kampartiger?

She (this Voodoo) wasn't an interceptor, of course, hence the Tow Target colour scheme. It is pretty much the same as my F-86H build from a few years back.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Wow - a beauty for sure! Nicely done indeed.

Thanks mate. She did turn out rather bright, didn't she! The sensor in my camera was smoking! ;)

51 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Lovely job!  I don't usually like brightly coloured aircraft, but that's superb.

Thank too, mate. She has her imperfections - but don't we all! ;). Althogh I've got a stack of International Red and Red-Orange on the shelf I'm getting off the dayglo trip for a while now :).

Martin

46 minutes ago, franky boy said:

I love that, there's something about orange and natural aircraft!

Welk done

James

Thanks James. Yes, there is, isn't there :). She is standard Tow Target of the day.

46 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Man, you know I love a Voodoo, and that one looks great!   Interesting backstory too.   That's a very neat project, done to perfection🍺

And if they didn't I'd want to know why not! ;) Thanks for your comments.

Martin

• Like 1

Now that's a different Voodoo!

I was reading the other day that 'NASA'* had 8 Voodoos, including a 2 holer, as chase planes at Area 51 during the Oxcart era..

*AKA the CIA.

Looking at the Starfighter thread, that B-66 looks interesting, if there more photos of that, I might be tempted.

• Like 1

@bentwaters81tfw

Yes, mate, she is different and the most colourful Voodoo I could find! :). My next - camo'd - is on the blocks and will be out in a month or so, with a Mustang to keep her happy :)

The B-66? Unfortunately I don't have any more on that. I pretty much posted all the images of the GE fleet that I could find. I'll keep m ewyes peeled though!

Martin

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

That's definitely an eye-catching scheme, Martin!  You did a great job of painting and decaling it.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark. I appreciate that. The underbelly pylon isn't quite right. Fortunately it isn't glued so 

I will attend to that.

MarTin

My eyes! My eyes! She turned out great, Martin! Bet you blew the sensor out of your camera shooting the photos! I know how much work you put into the research and the finish, but it was all worth it- very, very nice!  Can't wait to see -1514 now! 👍

Mike

BTW- Happy Jack's Go Buggy flew over my house again yesterday- Bruce usually flies her every Friday when the weather is good! (Missus 72modeler always wonders how I know it's a Mustang without even looking up...keep telling her it's a guy and Merlin thing!) 

• Like 1

On 14 June 2019 at 11:06 PM, RMCS said:

Stunning 

Thanks mate

On 15 June 2019 at 12:36 AM, whiskey said:

Gaaaahhhh my eyes!! Good Lord that is bright Martin! Im glad to see that the build turned out as well as it has, especially after all of the research you put into it. Great job!

;).... Sorry about that! ;) . Your comments are much appreciated

20 hours ago, russ c said:

Really nice Voodoo there, great job

Thanks Russ

18 hours ago, Courageous said:

Brilliant work Martin. Looks the part.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. Yes, she is rather! ;)

17 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a perfect finish Martin,nice to see the Voodoo in a different scheme too!

Thanks Steve. You know me, something different whenever I can :)

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

My eyes! My eyes! She turned out great, Martin! Bet you blew the sensor out of your camera shooting the photos! I know how much work you put into the research and the finish, but it was all worth it- very, very nice!  Can't wait to see -1514 now! 👍

Mike

BTW- Happy Jack's Go Buggy flew over my house again yesterday- Bruce usually flies her every Friday when the weather is good! (Missus 72modeler always wonders how I know it's a Mustang without even looking up...keep telling her it's a guy and Merlin thing!) 

Thanks Mike. I hope your retinas have settled down now! The next is now underway :). "BTW- Happy Jack's Go Buggy flew over my house again yesterday- Bruce usually flies her every Friday when the weather is good! (Missus 72modeler always wonders how I know it's a Mustang without even looking up...keep telling her it's a guy and Merlin thing!) " a great way to end each week!

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 12:25 AM, RidgeRunner said:

My eyes now need a rest.......

Mine too, thanks for the warning in the title, I had a pre-squint in place. :D That's sure is a striking scheme & a stunning model. I like.  :)

Steve.

• Like 1