A couple of J35 Drakens

Fantastic Drakens Jens, they look perfect, I really like how to scale and sharp they look without lots of exaggerated weathering, awesome job. How were the Hasegawa decals for the Austrian Draken? I would like to build one someday.

David

Thank you for all the positive words. :)

On 6/15/2019 at 9:32 PM, exdraken said:

Austria had at least some... the 2 Specials (Ostarrichi and Dragon Knight) were used for QRA duty.

And the standardm F16 colored version was without the big dayglow numbers originally...

Does this count? ;)

Sweden had 3 - 4 operational schemes... Finland unfortunately very similar ones. And Denmark 1 ( in 2 variations.... gloss and weathered ;) )

Although used for QRA I still don't count the two Austrian special schemes as operational schemes. That said, I think I have to build the Ostarrichi version some day.

I can only think of three operational schemes from Sweden; natural metal, grey and the one I have made here. The splinter scheme is very attractive, but that was only a test. Was there another scheme too?

On 6/16/2019 at 12:03 AM, mirageiv said:

Fantastic Drakens Jens, they look perfect, I really like how to scale and sharp they look without lots of exaggerated weathering, awesome job. How were the Hasegawa decals for the Austrian Draken? I would like to build one someday.

David

Thanks David. I prefer a more subtle weathering than sometimes seen on models. Perhaps it's my personal knowledge on aircraft maintenance that shines through. ;)
The kit decals behaved nicely on both models. The trick is to use hot water - at least it was for me.

Jens

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Jens said:

Thank you for all the positive words. :)

Although used for QRA I still don't count the two Austrian special schemes as operational schemes. That said, I think I have to build the Ostarrichi version some day.

I can only think of three operational schemes from Sweden; natural metal, grey and the one I have made here. The splinter scheme is very attractive, but that was only a test. Was there another scheme too?

you are probably right on all....

but th eOstarrichi was used at least for many many years as such ;)

Sweden... probably my mind played tricks on me... there are many shade variations out there - caused by weathering an lightning....

probably this F13 one could still count:

Saab_J_35A_Draken_(35077).jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a9/Saab_J_35A_Draken_(35077).jpg

I want to do one of these (6?) so painted Drakens , as well as an Acro Delta example......

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not my scale (72nd scale forever!) but definitely one of my favorite subjects!  I have the 72nd Hasegawa kit and IPMS Austria Oe version decals and resin and can only WISH mine would turn out so nice!

BEAUTIFUL work, Jens!

WARDOG

Wow, these are really beautiful models. Congratulations Jens. The Draken is one of the most beautiful birds ever created and the Hasegawa kit really captures it nicely.

The Draken was such a stylish looking machine. Saab seemed to create some very interesting types over the years, right up to the current JAS39 Gripen.

Imagine if the Draken had been selected instead of the F104 as the standard NATO fighter, all those possible colour schemes. Going off into my dream world again!

Jens,

Echoing what all the others have said, these are the two best Draken builds I have seen in any scale. Perfect paintwork, paneling, and weathering, They are such beautiful aircraft- thanks for sharing them! I only wish I will be able to do half as well with my 1/72 kit!

Mike