F225 Corsair 1971

TonyW

Thanks for the info Alan, and congratulations on a fine looking model.

I'm on a near vertical learning curve with this GB, what with my imaginary Russian scheme on my La. and now an introduction to the world of Corsair paintwork. I'll use my get out of jail free card here and continue with the FROG scheme. It's finished now as I would have done it back when the kit was released, and it's too late to go back now! I'll be having a go at fading the paintjob today, I really like the worn denim effect on Pacific Theatre US planes.

The Life Magazine series of colour shots of the Douglas Dauntless's faded right down have been on my 'to do' list for years now. I've got a 1.32 Matchbox Dauntless waiting for its chance one day. If I can get my head around ignoring the fanciful cockpit area, it might even get done one day.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Looking good Tony. The Intermediate Blue is a bit darker that I would have expected but in this case it works well! The modern lighter and perhaps greyer shade would have looked wrong to my mind. Naval aircraft were noted for severe weathering - salty sea air I presume. Badly painted and often  poorly primed JNAF planes were notorious for stripping to bare metal in a couple of months.

The blue seems to darken with each clear coat I've applied. I'll be attempting to address that today. Given a week or two of Pacific sunlight and sea air and I would have thought any colour would shift about a bit. I'll dig out my Artistic Licence again, it looks like I'll be using it a lot in this GB!

Tony.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I'll use my get out of jail free card here and continue with the FROG scheme. It's finished now as I would have done it back when the kit was released, and it's too late to go back now! I'll be having a go at fading the paintjob today, I really like the worn denim effect on Pacific Theatre US planes.

Hi Tony,

I think your model looks fine as is :thumbsup:

I built this model way back when.... as a youngster, in the scheme Frog gave,

and didn't know any better.

If you look at the Semi Specular Sea Blue painted on the wings on my Corsair build,

my Semi Specular Sea Blue also became darker......... I didn't weather it - caused much anxiety^_^

Thanks for sharing your build with us and especially an RNZAF one

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had a crack at fading the paintwork and I think I'm heading in the right direction. As I thought, the application of some fresh Intermediate Blue, scrubbed on with a near dry brush contrasted a bit against the clear darkened finish. Working on the  'If some is good, more must be better' method, I added another even lighter drybrushing in Humbrol Azure Blue. That's got me to here...

IMG-7771.jpg

... I'll leave it to dry right out and then decide if it needs more. The marks on the fuselage white bar are down to my mistake. I had painted the white areas of the bars with very pale grey, to tone them down a bit. The following dry brushing put too much paint on the white area affected and efforts to clean it up went badly. It can be fixed.

There's still the undercarriage and doors to finish, everything is propped in place for the picture, plus the aerials and other pointy bits need finishing. It's getting closer to being done though.

Tony. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, TonyW said:

I'll leave it to dry right out and then decide if it needs more.

Speaking as an admitted Corsair fan may i just say WOW. Id stop here shes looking like she has the right bit of fade. 

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the "mess" over the roundel and bar looks like really convincing real-life scuffing. There I was thinking "Thank goodness somebody bothers to weather the decals"...

I paid a whole four quid for one of these at Telford last year and I was a bit disappointed, but seeing yours has made me realise it can scrub up wonderfully well.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I added a tiny bit more, Dennis. So tiny I can hardly see it. Time to stop then.

Undercarriage now sorted, aerials painted and pitot snapped near the tip. It had to happen sooner or later, I'm sort of glad to have got it out the way early on.

Anyway, here's the model, sat on a base borrowed from an earlier P40 build. I'll post up in the Gallery later.

IMG-7787.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 8

Kiwi Corsairs are possibly the most interesting ones, but the color schemes appear daunting to me... Impressive to see experts at work!

Anyway, one day I will build one!

Re paints, I still have a lot of Humbrol Authentic paints, and whenever I open a tinlet, the paint quality is the same than when I bought it... I am now forcing myself to clean the rim of the tin and the lid with a tissue wet with turpentine. And then I turn the tin upside down (after closing the lid, if possible) to seal any crack that may let the air in... This works better if performed at full moon, but it is not compulsary.

Anyway, the paint lasts...

Great build!!!

JR

• Like 3
  • Haha 1