1/72 Convair Model 200 V/STOL (Scratchbuilt)

Hi guys, this is my latest project and also my first attempt at scratch building an entire model.  It is a 1/72 what-if of Convair's Model 200 V/STOL proposal from the 1970s for a Sea Control Fighter in fictional VF-151 markings. It was difficult finding plans that matched; it seems Convair kept modifying their proposal throughout the years. Built from plastic card, loads of Milliput, and a smash-moulded canopy and main landing gear doors. The exhaust comes from a Crayola marker tip. 😁

Construction was based on the profiles and framing method I saw on the excellent French Maquette72 website, with a lot of sanding, cursing and more sanding. Everything is scratch built except for the instrument panel (Oyumaru/Milliput cast of a Mirage F1 panel), the wheels, ordnance (Hasegawa) and the ESCAPAC seat from an Airfix A-4B. Decals are from the spares box and Print Scale and I added some left over PE belts to the seat. A word of warning with regard to Print Scale decals: They are VERY fragile and prone to folding, but they are exceptionally thin and look great once applied. Painted with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics.

If you've never tried scratch building before, give it a shot! It is a great learning experience that forced me to learn all sorts of cool techniques. I love these unbuilt projects and I hope to try building more of them. Forgive the poor IPhone pictures, I'm hoping to borrow a real camera and learn some better photography soon.

Cheers!

F5xAeyR.jpg

51STgg9.jpg

Q8TXWii.jpg

1iVQAXD.jpg

Z26RX7V.jpg

Some WIP shots:

SSOOLqd.jpg

zFpan80.jpg

8nwFdDn.jpg

Edited by EDCS87
  • Like 55
  • Thanks 5

Amazing.  That is a superb display of modelling skills.  It looks like a state-of-the-art resin kit by Anigrand or similar.  I've never seen this proposal by Convair before.  A really interesting project which I would imagine was to be multi-engined like the Balzac?  From certian angles it reminds me of the Saab Grippen.

Goodness!  Some 47th level ninja scratch building going on here.  Fantastic!  Very realistic markings.  Highly plausible alternate reality.  

On 6/14/2019 at 3:15 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Amazing.  That is a superb display of modelling skills.  It looks like a state-of-the-art resin kit by Anigrand or similar.  I've never seen this proposal by Convair before.  A really interesting project which I would imagine was to be multi-engined like the Balzac?  From certian angles it reminds me of the Saab Grippen.

Yes, it does look remarkably like a 1970s Gripen.  the V/STOL version would have two lift jets behind the cockpit and the main engine nozzle would hinge down, like on the F-35 and Yak-141. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

That's fantastic, I'd never clock that it was scratch built if you hadn't said so. It looks as good as many kits do, I'd struggle to get a better result from an actual kit, very impressive.