How to paint wooden deck?

5 hours ago, Yeet yeet i dont like beet said:

how to paint the plastic deck.

I am no way experienced in ship modelling but if the idea of an after market wooden deck is out of the question, then the paint option needs to be practiced on plastic before committing to plastic. I don't know Prince Eugen's deck colour but looking at some images, I would go with something like an acrylic light sandy colour, then when dry, paint over it with a suitable oil paint. Then slowly remove the oil paint with a brush dampened with turpentine/ white spirit to achieve the effect you're after.

I have only done this a few times and it takes a bit of time to get right and being 1/350, colour variation will be subtle. IMHO, if you're wanting something instant, get the wooden deck, otherwise practice the painting.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Painting well is harder than just applying a laser cut self adhesive wooden deck, but if you want to have a go, here's how I did it:

resized_bc2fb154-e073-4f52-bca2-54e80ed7

For the planked deck I selected a total of 4 colours which are fairly similar, but they very gently break up the uniformity of the appearance without (I hope) being clearly over-done. Note that there isn't a huge difference in contrast between the colours selected. I don't think it matters too much what you use, so long as they are not cartoon colours with a big contrast between them.

1) The whole planked deck was painted in ACGW10 Doped Linen ACGW10rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1534170057

2) Approximately 1/3 of the planks were brush painted in ACRA01 Giallo Mimetico 1 ACRA01rgb_1024x1024.jpg?v=1534170118

3) Approximately 1/3 of what planks were left in ACGW10 after step 2 were brush painted in IJN09: IJN Deck Tan IJN09rgb_medium.jpg?v=1534170299

4) Approximately 1/3 of what planks were left in ACGW10 after step 3 were brush painted in ARG03 Afrika Corps Tan Yellow ARG03rgb_medium.jpg?v=1534170215

5) Once all that was thoroughly cured, I brushed on a coat of Windsor & Newton artist's acrylic clear gloss varnish

6) Once the step 5 varnish was thoroughly dried, I made a thin, dark brownish/greyish wash using turpentine and Windsor & Newton artist's oil paints and brushed that on to darken the caulking between the planks.

• Like 6