F228 Fairey Gannet Mk1 (Novo) RAN

I have split open the bag for my build and it sired some memories from a childhood build.

I will build OOB as I need something to get the mojo back.

The parts in a lovely brown plastic

48054742611_75fe487be0_b.jpg

Instructions and washed out decals

48054835512_93ca16a625_b.jpg

And the decals I will use for the build

48054835492_09e278bb05_b.jpg

Not sure if I will build as a 816SQN Mk1 or an shore based 724SQN T Mk2

• Like 12

Hi RAY, I remember building one of these in the 60's, as a kid I could not get my head around the idea of the two propellers turning in opposite directions on the same shaft?  On my Vigilante kit I also said OOB, but have started improving the cockpit, intakes and undercarriage bays.  Go on you know you want to :wicked:.

• Like 1

Excellent Ray, another Antipodean building another Royal Australian Navy Frog Classic. With my Sea Venom in the mix all we now need is a Wessex build and we'll have the three types flown off HMAS Melbourne during the late fifties / early sixties. The Red Roo decals will go a long way to make this one look the goods. 

Cheers and looking forward to this one happening.. Dave 

• Like 2

Great choice Ray

I've never seen this kit in milk chocolate brown before !

I have the vacform ASW conversation which has long been on my list to do.

I look forward to seeing you bring this one to life.

Cheers Pat 

• Like 3

Brown. Oh. 

Despite the the lack of interior and wheel wells, it does fit together really nicely and looks like a Gannet! And given that the interior is black, when I made mine I just painted the crew on top and the shelf black - can’t tell through the glazing! 

Looking forward to this.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Brown. Oh. 

Despite the the lack of interior and wheel wells, it does fit together really nicely and looks like a Gannet! And given that the interior is black, when I made mine I just painted the crew on top and the shelf black - can’t tell through the glazing! 

Looking forward to this.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to it.

Adrian, I was planning to go that way with the pilots. I hope to start cutting plastic tonight, I am pretty sure in my youth this was a tail sitter so I will remember to ad some nose weight.

• Like 1

And we are off!

Some nice sink and mould release marks to sort out

48070073547_199a82c763_b.jpg

48069966326_21666bcfcb_b.jpg

48070018438_2e6cb026b9_b.jpg

Main assemblies taped together to sort out nose weight

48070019073_2c9368d31c_b.jpg

And the weight required

48070018918_92da09a95d_b.jpg

48070073092_814cdaa077_b.jpg

Lets get this together and puttied

48070018553_f7797d284d_b.jpg

48070073002_be64d39a8e_b.jpg

48069966356_d571c0f915_b.jpg

Engine together

48069966116_a58e1b77c6_b.jpg

Gear on

48070018273_325e6e920b_b.jpg

Oh bugger it, lets stick the engine on as well

48070072707_6069935b3b_b.jpg

Time to let the glue for the gear to set, some filler required around the engine and then off to prime it.

• Like 10

Well that didn't take you long Ray? 

I have to say, you are doing quite well with that rough plastic as some of those close-up shots look quite frightful. 

It certainly knocks up into a Gannet like model so keep at, she's certainly looking the part. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

A little more progress, the engine to fuselage seam was puttied and then cleaned up.

I have now primed it and it is ready for the crew to be painted before the canopies go on.
48078847656_91e380c217_b.jpg

48078879753_5ccd42ac27_b.jpg

I am enjoying this little no frills build

• Like 9

Looking quite sinister in gloss black primer. Are those AM wheels for this kit Ray, I can't recall what the original kit's wheels looked like. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looking quite sinister in gloss black primer. Are those AM wheels for this kit Ray, I can't recall what the original kit's wheels looked like. 

Cheers.. Dave 

No Dave, the wheels are from another mojo restoring build I rescued off the shelf of doom (not a FROG kit).  If you go back to the first post you will see the kit wheels in the kit sprues shot.

The canopies and seat littering the cutting mat may give you an idea of the subject those wheels will go on. There may also be a cropped shot of the kit in the fisrt image of the last post :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos for persevering with such rough plastic. I've built an early Frog one (well the moulds would have been 10 years old by then) and although the kit was basic the moulding and engineering was crisp. Are you sure yours isn't a chocolate novelty pressing?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Chocolate pressed night fighter version .... hmmm.... :D

I used a black primer as I was thinking about doing the metallic finish for the T2. I have now realised I have the dark sea grey/duck egg blue in the paint stash so may go with a HMAS Melbourne aircraft.

Canopies on tonight and some masking I hope.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 5:26 AM, JOCKNEY said:

I've never seen this kit in milk chocolate brown before !

Mmmm Chocolate ....  

On 6/14/2019 at 5:26 AM, JOCKNEY said:

I have the vacform ASW conversation which has long been on my list to do.

ASW?  Don't you mean AEW?  

Is it the Airmodel conversion?  https://www.airmodel.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p169_fairey-gannet-aew-3.html  

If using the Frog/Novo/Spawn kit as a basis would this kit within the GB Rules?  

Edited by Rob S

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

Mmmm Chocolate ....  

ASW?  Don't you mean AEW?  

Is it the Airmodel conversion?  https://www.airmodel.de/product_info.php?language=en&info=p169_fairey-gannet-aew-3.html  

If using the Frog/Novo/Spawn kit as a basis would this kit within the GB Rules?  

Ha ha as you say AEW, I'm sure I could persuade the host to allow it if it means seeing another build joining this GB !  :whistle: