Meteor Mk I harness?

Gary Brantley

Hey everyone!  I could use some of your expertise about now.  I need a set of 1/48 seat belts/harnesses appropriate for the Meteor Mk I prototype.  I've been doing a bit of online shopping and see several types of RAF WWII belts.  Can anyone please suggest which would be suitable for my Tamiya model?   Any favorites out there?   I've never used fabric belts but they would seem better intuitively to me.  I've found pre-painted metal belts difficult to pose naturally. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!  Cheers!

Gary

40 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Hey everyone!  I could use some of your expertise about now.  I need a set of 1/48 seat belts/harnesses appropriate for the Meteor Mk I prototype.  I've been doing a bit of online shopping and see several types of RAF WWII belts.  Can anyone please suggest which would be suitable for my Tamiya model?   Any favorites out there?   I've never used fabric belts but they would seem better intuitively to me.  I've found pre-painted metal belts difficult to pose naturally. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!  Cheers!

Gary

Hi Gary,

As the MK1 Meteor had non-ejection bucket seats I would expect it to have the same fabric harness as it's contemporaries; Griffon Spitfires, Vampire F1, DH Hornet, Hawker Tempest, etc.

It might be worth trying the RAF museum to find out if the seat harness is type appropriate or the same as another fighter type.  

Pardon my ignorance, but I would assume by 1944 that most british fighters would use a standard one.

Hope that's a little helpful.

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

Gary

Given the date Gary, I'd suggest it's a Sutton harness. 

This thread

also, for background on the Sutton harness, 

http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/the-sutton-harness-on-the-spitfire.html

note the comments the same Edgar Brooks posting as in the BM thread above

and here

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/british-wwii-aircraft-seatbelts.34689/

has comments on various different types.

Eduard do or did, a Zoom etch set for the Meteor,  which used to be a cheap way to some detail to the kit

https://www.eduard.com/Eduard/Meteor-F-Mk-1-1-48-1-1.html

fe116.gif

says it's OOP, but they float about. (or the bigger set)

the Meteor prototype survives,  a quick look has not turned up any cockpit shots, but I'm sure they are out there

HTH