Westland Wyvern F198 - Finished

AdrianMF

This is slightly started and left on a shelf. I realise it’s been there since the Obselete Kits GB in 2013, so that’s six years, not three as I thought!

So, a history lesson. The kit:

wyvern-parts.jpg

The original interior:

wyvern-cockpit.jpg

Seat mods:

ejector-seat-parts.jpg

IMG-0154.jpg

Cockpit mods:

IMG-4054.jpg

IMG-4061.jpg

IMG-4063.jpg

I have also cut out the original jet exhausts, to be replaced with plastic straws (recycled, of course) and glued the wing pieces together. This latter will make detailing the undercarriage bay just that tad more difficult...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 21

Nice to see the Wyvern making an appearance and I must say, I have no idea how you scratch build those great cockpits Adrian.... really impressive stuff that! 

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Adrian,

Did you see my earlier post about Frog screwing up the undercarriage leg instructions - wheels should be facing out not in like the one I built?

Looking forward to this build as I have a soft spot for the Wyvern - pity the one in the FAA Museum is an early version with I believe a Python engine and therefore looking completely different.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

wheels should be facing out not in like the one I built?

Strangely enough, they must have fixed the instructions:

9-F654-AA6-2682-4620-A865-7-FE8-F94-C458

Although the show the inner doors open, whereas I believe they closed after lowering the gear, like the Mustang.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Wyvern-crop

Could be - the sheet on the Cocardes site seems to show the leg in your pic under the Starboard wing which may be where the confusion came from - I remember seeing somebody comment on the problem in a magazine so it wasn't just me who got it wrong. Not sure about the doors  but pics I have seen suggest the inner doors were closed as you say.Frog made the same mistake with the 410 doors.

Edited by PeterB

One of the things that has been bugging me is that I don’t want the propellers getting in the way during assembly. So I have cut the rim of the propeller housing off and will stick that in for now. Then I can scribe and clean up the intake to my heart’s content and drop the bit with the propellers in later:

74448948-BA9-F-4764-B64-F-DF20-EFD0-CBD4

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

That's looking great Adrian. I love the straw exhausts and the cockpit tub will just look unreal with a few painted highlights here and there. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 1:57 AM, PeterB said:

... - pity the one in the FAA Museum is an early version with I believe a Python engine and therefore looking completely different.

Python?  Python comes after Monty and what the production versions like this have powering them.  You mean the mighty Rolls Royce Eagle (and that is the "second" Rolls Royce Eagle and not the "first" Rolls Royce Eagle engine).  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Sadly it’s time to go away for work again. More progress in a fortnight...

Regards,

Adrian

It's an affliction all too many of us suffer from !

Safe travel catch up soon

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps! Well, I got back yesterday and I’ve had a relatively productive Sunday morning:

0-DD3-C030-9-C84-40-C4-B324-140-B84-EAC8

Time for a bit of primer and then I can fix all my horrible wobbly scribing.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

Well if anyone should ever doubt the efficacy of Halfords finest grey primer, show them this:

2779-B9-FD-3806-45-BF-8002-F53-AE5-CD63-

Sprayed in the back garden with a fresh breeze, dry in five minutes. Hardly any touch up or even sanding required. I’m happy...

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9