Westland Wyvern F198 - Finished

AdrianMF

26 minutes ago, Heather Kay said:

What is this "wobbly scribing" of which you speak? I don’t see it! 

Now you can understand why I love Halfords primer! Seriously though, it has covered most of the slips and missteps on the top, although I wouldn’t look to closely at the airbrakes or under the fuselage...

I think it was scribingophobia that got this kit onto the shelf of shame in the first place.

On the “better late than never” front I added some more detailing. I don’t know why I forgot to drill out the intakes:

04143-BA3-F9-DD-4326-B6-C3-585616-D31-C5

Undercarriage bay closed off with paper and given a couple of ribs:

6683-FC1-F-AD62-44-D0-93-C0-C35-D0-C629-

462-BB702-1-BD2-460-C-A54-F-8-F21-AAD3-D

Tailwheel well busied up a little:

4-ACB7-A0-E-3-A09-47-C3-BC8-F-DF471-B90-

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 11

This is sure looking the part, or is it? That scribing and wheel well detail really places  your kit in another era, far removed from what we typically know of Frog kits. I’m quite liking what I’m seeing. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

another era

Thanks Dave - I’m finding the Wyvern very crude when compared to the trainers that I did in that GB or the Proctor.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

who needs a Trumpy one

I do!

well I’m slapping on multiple coats of duck egg green in between trips to the garden centre etc:

6-F8-FE68-E-C47-F-49-A4-A6-A0-E73-F61-CC

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Oooooooo came up lovely.  Looking absolutely fabulous, I like the Halfords primer, although I have not used it for modelling I have used it on the car and it's great stuff to work with.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

You probably can’t tell from the photo but the reds are now red, the yellows are now yellow and I’ve added some fading variations to the camo colours:

881-FF0-AA-930-B-4-DFC-A056-06-C9655-E81

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9

50 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

may i ask what exotic location

Last week was Santa Barbara via a Sunday in LA, this week is the Netherlands, where I am also picking up my daughter now she has finished college there. Then I have a whole week at home and it’s off to Denver.

Meanwhile I have been getting some stickers on. When I bought this on eBay in around 2002, I noticed (1) it was missing a canopy (I’m using a Falcon one) and (2) it had two sets of decals, one a bit yellowed, and the others like this:

B0-B254-CC-6-D3-D-4-CDC-8-BD5-5-DABE3-E3

The roundels have the tiniest white rim, which only shows up on the upper surface of the wing, but otherwise they are the nicest set I could wish for. They are already bedding down into my Matchbox-like trenches.

Sadly that’s my lot until Saturday...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 9

Bit of a story... Last week I went to pick (and pack) my daughter up from college in the Netherlands. She graduated a month ago and had a fortnight away on a short course, and now she is back home. We were clearing out her room and managed to squeeze everything except the mattress into my car, including the flower that she was given as part of the graduation ceremony. This had been drying on her window sill for a month. Of course Mr Klutz here managed to clip it on the tailgate frame while unpacking at home, resulting in this:

2506-C623-63-B5-45-D7-9-BB5-9112-B4-C801

I've never seen anyone look so distraught...

So today is going to be spent alternating between flower repair (if such a thing is possible) and finishing the Wyvern.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Tell her you love children but would never think of cutting their heads of and sticking them in water or crushing them in a press. That should give her a different take on the subject. Failing that, sell her to Arabs. I can say that as my daughter is in Oz and can't possibly hear me.

A Santa Barbera favourite for me was Steve Remingtons Collectaire, a fantastic place, packed to the roof with vintage modelling heaven. The owner has sadly passed though, so the place is now but a happy memory for me.

More concerning is the apparent demise of his outstanding website that was my first port of call for just about anything related to early modelling in the US.

The Wyvern is looking extremely tough by the way.

Tony.

• Haha 2

Everett’s in Santa Monica has closed and the only things I could really find in my googling between LA and Santa Barbara were railroad and RC. All rendered moot by not having the time to stop off on the way back to LAX.

On roses, it turns out that if you add the smaller and more curved petals first, one or two at a time, spot-sticking with Gators Grip and letting them dry before adding the next couple, you can get the flower ball back together. I’ve got a cocktail stick drying after gluing it into the head ready for final assembly. An interesting diversion from plastic! 

I’m not going to sell my daughter, on reflection. It’s a big change for her to head back home and work out what’s next after three years of hard work, and it had been a long drive back...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 4

Hi Adrian

With 2 teenagers we are encouraging to go to university or at the very least leave home !

Do you mind if I ask why your daughter was studying in Holland, is it a special subject ?

Sorry to appear nosy but the number of choices and options without leaving the UK is daunting already, so as someone who has already gone through that any advice would be appreciated 

Cheers Pat

Well, I got the Wyvern finished...

IMG-6074.jpg

I could paint in some wingtip lights and some formation lights underneath. - I might do them before I store it away. There are small aerials in the tail and scoops on the fuselage that I will leave to CMR and Trumpeter.

More pictures here in the gallery.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 15

No way is that the Frog kit!!! I’ve just sat down this morning and had my first cuppa and fail to believe that this absolute beautiful model was built from the parts Frog supplied 49 years ago! 

Not only are you are masterful modeller (and apparent dry flower restorer) but an absolute magician to pull off this wonderful trick. Even David Copperfield would be pleased with that. 

Cheers and excellence in modelling.. Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

No way is that the Frog kit!

I must say I’m pleasantly surprised with it. The kit isn’t as crude as I thought (certainly when you line it up against the SB-2 or the Whitley) and I think I’ve got  more confident with scribing in the last six years!

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 2

...and for those of you wondering about rose (re)assembly, here’s the end result:

5-AC41-D91-3525-4870-9-F96-5-AC9-ECEDC41

Not too far off how it was. I will present it with early morning tea tomorrow and see if I am forgiven!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

...Not too far off how it was. I will present it with early morning tea tomorrow and see if I am forgiven!

I wouldn’t say a word and see if she notices?? 

• Haha 1

That's a cracker. The plane does look like it's spoiling for a fight, all big engine and aggressive lines, it seems to be straining at the leash. Your take on it is very impressive.

Tony.

• Thanks 1