Wingnut Wings commissions pricing

Kilsh

Mmm..difficult. I was asked to consider building one a couple of years back at a show and suggested £500 plus the price of the kit and any extras...I never heard any more......

I think you need to estimate the number of hours that the build will probably take and that might be as tricky as rigging it in itself. Then decide how much per hour you’d charge. Do the maths and perhaps make allowance for any personal enjoyment factor discount. 

You might be be surprised at the number you come to if you do that calculation. 

I think it it also depends if it’s a one off for a friend or local museum etc. Or if it’s purely commercial. 

Work out how long it takes, then look at what you earn presently, and do the maths. If you are happy with your current pay rate then this will mean you earn the same for building your kit.

Otherwise, average pay in the UK for a joiner is about £28K, and for an architect £47K. I'd say modelling is kind of like these 2 things- practical yet creative, good with hands, methodical, research based. etc etc. So split the difference and that's £37,500 per annum. Use that as a rate for an hourly scale and based on a 40 hour week it's about £18 per hour, if you work 52 weeks a year with paid holidays.

Not a bad hourly rate to use I'd suggest.

Jonners

I doubt you can ask for many pounds an hour, unless you are a *really* quick builder, or the customer has much more money than he needs. Problem is that one can relatively easily find a sucker willing to do it for the fun, so the market is heavily skewed towards the buyer :D

I would suggest this is not a get rich quick scheme, but it is a way to partially fund any obsession you may have about building Wingnut kits.  

🤔 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 5:31 AM, Torbjorn said:

I doubt you can ask for many pounds an hour, unless you are a *really* quick builder, or the customer has much more money than he needs. Problem is that one can relatively easily find a sucker willing to do it for the fun, so the market is heavily skewed towards the buyer :D

This also go's to the general perception of 'modelling' and models held by the public at large its a kids game and so even a moderate to low price times the expected hours to build will send the punter running simply because they dont think such a thing is worth that much. Its just an airfix kit like what they used to build on a saturday afternoon in half an hour and it turned out alright eh.......

A hobby shop owner acquaintance once referred a young lady to me to build a model car for her boyfriend...(I dont do cars just aircraft and the odd target.) So I roughed out a rate and hours and got back to her with a price IIRC of around $200 Aus. "Chr*st I just want a model built not the bl*ody real thing mate" was her response.

best of luck with the commission.