1/48 Airfix Lightning

2 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Unfortunately the wing roots will need filler like pretty much all my models. Don't know how to avoid it really, I sand them first but can't too much or they'll be too short or mis-shaped.

spacer.png

Didn't have many issues with the wing join on my kit, just a small step under on one of the undersides that a bit of Squadron green sorted out.

Did they ever sit QRA in the 80s or was that only the F6

I was at Binbrook 80-85. I was on one of the Sqn. LTF never did QRA it was only the two operational Sqn's that held Q, and in my time there only F6's were on Q.

As for the missile's we usually had Firestreak's fitted to the F3's and the sole T5's. But LTF flew more T5's and F3's with a mix of missiles. Their only F6 had a ferry ventral (no guns). The Firestreak's are easier to model as they flew with wings the redtop's flew without the main wings attached (a fatigue thing) as your photo shows.

When between sorties the flaps were always up and the Airbrakes tucked away. 

Edited by tweeky
additional info
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Didn't have many issues with the wing join on my kit, just a small step under on one of the undersides that a bit of Squadron green sorted out.

If you glue the wings on without gap, you will lose the characteristic wing anhedral of the Lightning... Caution required there and check the pictures!!

• Like 1

One of the things that annoys me about the otherwise good Airfix 1/48th Lightnings is their broken-backed look, which to my eye spoils the beefy heavyweight look of the all-time classic aircraft.

Which is a shame as I'd like to build some in a variety of colour schemes after I complete my big Echelon kit.

Not everyone will see the problem, and possibly even fewer will care about it, but here is an illustration of the plan of attack I have for correcting the look.

The red lines indicate the cuts required.

(With thanks to the anonymous modeler whose very nice build I've adapted for the purposes of demonstration).

spacer.png

Edited by Reparty
  • Like 3

Nice work so far. I think your wing angles look pretty good from here.

Going back to your question on the last page about XR751 and the 'painted-over' nose ring, I came across some photos of the same aircraft without the painted over nose ring, with the main difference in markings being the

tail letters ('DA' at top of fin in white, rather than just the White 'A' at the bottom). I've got some letter 'D's you can have if you like that option (and even some 'A's). Google XR751 and you'll come across it in images.

You build a lot quicker than me. Please keep it up as I like watching your progress (I like Lightnings).

Cheers Bob.

2 hours ago, Reparty said:

One of the things that annoys me about the otherwise good Airfix 1/48th Lightnings is their broken-backed look, which to my eye spoils the beefy heavyweight look of the all-time classic aircraft.

Which is a shame as I'd like to build some in a variety of colour schemes after I complete my big Echelon kit.

Not everyone will see the problem, and possibly even fewer will care about it, but here is an illustration of the plan of attack I have for correcting the look.

The red lines indicate the cuts required.

(With thanks to the anonymous modeler whose very nice build I've adapted for the purposes of demonstration).

At last, someone with a like mind and eye. Had a go at correcting this too a long while back (still not finished yet, mind):-

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234988708-airfix-48th-lightning-f6/&tab=comments#comment-2104352

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some great corrections incorporated in your build Bob. The vents and louvres sprinkled over the airframe are just as important as any other feature on a Lightning.

The straight line from windscreen to intake lip is another area that throws off the look, which you've also dealt with very well.

The difficult bit (for me) once that's done is getting those three  equi-distant rows of rivets on the nose ring, which show up far too clearly on the stainless steel.

I may settle for decals if I stuff it up again.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments chaps, very interesting! @bobsyouruncle thanks for the decal offer, great minds must think alike, I found some DA codes from a Tornado F3 kit which I'll use, though I was thinking of doing XP751 which seemed to carry that code too.

@Reparty your modified spine does look better, but there's no way I have the skill for that so I'll have to leave it as Airfix intended unfortunately. 

• Like 1

The twin tail codes came in during the mid 80's A was reserved for 5 Sqn, B 11 Sqn (C was reserved for the "third Sqn. 74 sqn was mentioned around the station)  And D For LTF.

A few Interesting stories why the twin codes were brought in one was the station commander climbed into the wrong jet and took it flying but I just think it was bough in for the 3rd sqn, 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tweeky said:

The twin tail codes came in during the mid 80's A was reserved for 5 Sqn, B 11 Sqn (C was reserved for the "third Sqn. 74 sqn was mentioned around the station)  And D For LTF.

A few Interesting stories why the twin codes were brought in one was the station commander climbed into the wrong jet and took it flying but I just think it was bough in for the 3rd sqn, 

It applied across all RAF fast jet squadrons - Phantoms, Tornados, Buccaneers, with the senior squadrons on base having the A prefix and the others in descending order.

On the Tornado fleet at the time, A* was 9 Sqn, , B* was 14 Sqn,, C* 17 Sqn,, D* was 31 Sqn., E* was 15 Sqn.,, F* was 12 Sqn., and G* was 20 Sqn

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Lord Riot said:

And, I found this for the nose ring - hoping it's shiny enough.

spacer.png

Lord,

If that doesn't work, I've found this tape which is sold in Japan; perhaps someone knows what brand it is. I found it while watching at the Trumpy 1/48 HU-16B Albatross kit build on a YouTube video. Check minute 15:05 onwards when the builder uses it to replicate the shine on an oleo strut.

Nice stuff, whatever it is.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Thanks 2

On 6/18/2019 at 7:25 PM, Lord Riot said:

Unfortunately the wing roots will need filler like pretty much all my models. Don't know how to avoid it really, I sand them first but can't too much or they'll be too short or mis-shaped.

PVA glue applied along the gap with a cocktail stick, run a damp cotton bud along to remove the excess.  Sorted WITHOUT any need to rub down but repeat if necessary.

spacer.png

PVA glue applied along the gap with a cocktail stick, run a damp cotton bud along to remove the excess.  Sorted WITHOUT any need to rub down but repeat if necessary.

Edited by Graham T
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, Lord Riot said:

Anyone able to advise on the definitive way of getting a nice shiny ring?

I found that Alclad II chrome worked surprisingly well. But do test it first.

Charlie

• Thanks 1

More gaps, this isn't the best fit is it!

spacer.png

With a bit of sanding and cutting the tab I've since managed to squeeze it down and hold in place with tape. Hopefully it won't pop back up. I might get some of that PVA glue to seal any remaining gaps.

I am building this Airfix F1 at the moment, with all the PE I could find.

Although I had to get a new starboard fuselage after I melted it on my coffee warmer. Airfix to the rescue

If you haven't decided yet, I have seen no better natural metal finish than a gloss black base, and then AK Extreme Metal, Polished aluminum, light, thin coats built up.

That how I'm doing my nose ring, then a 3 color camo (MRP) in a BoB memorial flight scheme.

Yours is coming along nicely (and much faster than mine)

• Thanks 1

Determined not to leave a gap! I'll try the PVA glue as filler if there's still evidence of the gap after this:

spacer.png

@[email protected] I'd be interested to see the WIP if you do one for your F1. I have another of these in the stash which I'm planning to do in the kit's 56 sqn Firebird markings at some point. After all these 80s jets I'll be doing 50s/60s RAF.

Haven't been taking photos of the build. I'm still not very good,

and this is as much to try a small collection of MRP paints I acquired, as building a plane

that thrilled me, at several airshows, in  mid 1980s, East Anglia.

I will put in this pic, I am a bit of a compactor...I have very limited model space, so I minimize whenever I can.

So I opened the giant box, with the great box art, trimmed down a couple of sprues, and voila,

spacer.png

, no wonder shipping is expensive.

Edited by [email protected]
  • Like 1

Sealed up ready for spraying.

spacer.png

And dark sea grey applied. The camo goes quite a way back under the leading edges. I'll spray the green next after the usual masking with blu-tack and bags, then finally the silver undersides.

spacer.png

I quite like it in overall DSG, I'm tempted to do quite a few more Lightnings, including F6s in overall DSG and in pale grey, and a silver F1. 

• Like 1

Yes leading edges go back a way underneath.  Think the Lightning was the last jet I hand painted.  I wanted a camo one & adapted the Airfix ma4kings as they had the day glow orange bits at the time

yG28w7L7frC3cwH9_wl42Lz_NvxuVh2SClBjIKC1

• Like 1

It's been a while, now back from holiday in Cornwall, including trips to the FAA Museum and Cornwall aviation heritage centre at St Mawgan, oh and the small matter of proposing to the gf on a romantic clifftop location, so had a bit of time today to do some more on the Lightning.

I'm very pleased with how the green and grey is looking, just need to do the silver now. Hoping it won't look to speckly, or that the masking tape won't lift off the camo. Might need to do two coats of silver perhaps? Any tips for spraying silver?

I know, I need to paint the inside bits of the flaps too!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Congratulations on your engagement!

You didn't do the deed on the Bedruthan Steps, I hope? This is where my mother accused my father of trying to do away with her after an adventurous climb...

• Haha 1

Congratulations on the engagement. That’s the modelling budget shot now of course. :D

loved the passing mention of the engagement  with the priority in the post given to the Lightning. A true modeller of the highest rank Sir :D

• Thanks 1