Fantastic reference for HP Hampden

Jonny

I stumbled across my AZ version of the 1/72 Valom Hampden B1 / TB1 kit this afternoon.  After attending a long meeting in the evening I thought I’d do some research into the kit.

Google came up with a reference to a build here in BM.  It’s dated 2016 and is an account.by Woody37 aka Neil.  

What’s got to me is, in post 147, page 6, of Woody’s build a video tour of the Hampden rebuild at RAFM  It’s called “Bombrr Command Twins Twin build! Valom Hampden and Airfix Whitley”, in Work in Progress.

Woody’s work in building the two models is, as always, amazing.  The pics of his completed models are .... well, WOW!  But, what really got to me was the video:  a woman reporter was being shown round the reconstruction - in 2016, remember, and she asked some questions but let the RAFM man showing her the  Hampden do most of the talk.  He pointed to the battle damage to the airframe then explained who was in what position in the aircraft, and whether they survived the attack and subsequent crash.  He pointed to parts of the interior (including the radio equipment) and the wrecked nose / cockpit components and explained the RAFM’s decision to build a new nose rather than try to rebuild the wrecked original before showing the new build.  I know that this year photos were released of what amounts to a complete fuselage and tailplsne But it was awesome to see the then semi  - completed nose and cockpit.  During the interview the RAFM man said that a number of veterans had commented on the rebuild and some had donated their personal records, including s lady who had been involve£ in building Hampdens.

None of this is intended to decry Neil’s work, but to see and hear an authoritative detailed description of the rebuild itself was, to me awesome.  Do look at it.  Unfortunately, I’m using my iPad and find it difficult / impossible to copy and paste links to external resources.  I hope the pointers I’ve included above will help you find Neil’s build thread and the video!

Goodnight, all,

Jonny

Edited by Jonny
Corrected 2026 to 2016!!!!!
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gorby said:

I just need to get my time machine out of the garage...

I assume you mean this:

Yes I did!

thanks for pointing it out.  It was rather late last night when I posted.  I’ve edited My post.

Thanks again,

Jonny

6 hours ago, Gorby said:

I just need to get my time machine out of the garage...

I assume you mean this:

You have a garage?  Wow!

• Haha 2