Beaufighter Mk.21 - F291

Muddyf

Im starting this group build with a simple OOB Beaufighter Mk.21.

Sat in a hotel room whilst away from home with work, so packed a few simple tools and supplies and this kit. Apologies for terrible pics but im coping with an iphone and desklamp 🙄.

So, compulsory pics:

The box

48045608681_911bba2d1c.jpg

The  instructions

48045608196_e5e382b91e.jpg

Sprues

48045646813_f33dee088d.jpg

The parts are in fairly good condition. Fair bit of flash in the sprues, but the parts themselves are flash free. Raised panel lines are very fine also.

There are some sink holes etc but these are easily fixed.

The engine cowlings are rough and, despite this claiming to be an OOB build will require some thought and work.

The decals are in very good condition and with good register.

48045694552_7efa195aef.jpg

Edited by Muddyf
  • Like 8

So good to see the Frog Beaufighter making an appearance. RAAF fans would have been so excited back in the day to see a kit released with two sets of markings for this unique Aussie Beau Mk.21 version. We will look forward to watching his come together during the upcoming weeks / months. 

Cheers, thanks for joining and best of luck... Dave 

• Like 2

All right !! Frog Beaufighter:thumbsup:

I built one way back a youngster, still have it in my collection

(packed away)

I have looked and looked to find another of this same kit  for ever!!

Look forward to your build - it's going to be RAAF right?:D

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

I can confirm it will be a RAAF Beaufighter!

Picked this one up at a show just before spotting this GB, that combined with my love for all things Bristol was the decider.

Im amazed by the quality of the decals, no yellowing, look to be in great condition to.

• Like 2

Nice kit! I recently built the original FROG Beaufighter with some Airfix parts left over from a Beaufort conversion and I was surprised to see that the weird middle-of-the-wing join was pretty good and disappeared with some filler. The decals look great too.

This kit seems to have been modified from the first issue with a battery hatch in preparation for the “Spin a prop” motorised propellers add-on, as well as adding the Australian features like the nose bump and bombs.

Looking forward to the build!

If you feel like replacing the cooling gills on the cowlings I did some work here that might be useful...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

When I built mine a good few years ago, I sanded off the bump in front of the cockpit which I believe was something to do with the Sperry Autopilot was intended to be fitted and never was I gather. I then finished it as a RAF Mk VI. Looks quite good - better to my mind that the original Airfix "TFX" which I converted to a Mk II with left over engines from my DIY Lancaster to Manchester conversion and a spare "arrowhead" radar aerial from one of the Airfix multiversion kits. The Matchbox "TFX" with the thimble nose was pretty good too though the usual trenches spoilt it a bit. I shall watch this with interest.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @Muddyf

Have you had a chance to make any progress on your Beaufighter ?

We have had to calm @Rabbit Leader down using medication ever since he saw the kit came with 2 sets of Aussie markings, and with the Veterinary bills starting to mount up (horse tranquillisers aren't cheap) if you could make a start it would be really appreciated.

cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

Fear not, for i have returned!

Apologies for the significant delay, several things have conspired to limit (almost completely cease) my model making time since my last post. I am now working on this again and WILL have it finished before the GB ends.

Current situation with the Beaufighter is as follows:

48826586146_23a4538341.jpg

Interior built and painted Humbrol 78 (despite the flash on the phone making the interior look like a shocking lime green).

Engines built with a minor modification to them which involved cutting off the shocking Frog attempts at cooling cowls and replacing them with some i cut from Airfix Blenheim cowls i have in the spares box.

This model is built wheels up and in flight and is to be posed on a spare Frogspawn stand i have lying around in the spare box (from an old Academy Avenger i believe).

Since this photo was taken, gaps etc have been filled and i am currently waiting for the filler to dry prior to sanding etc.

Edited by Muddyf
Poor grammer and bad English stuff
  • Like 8

I actually like the wing joint, surprisingly easy to join and very easy to fill and clean up afterwards. Perhaps manufacturers could look at designing more kits like this 🤔

The cooling cowls look about 72mm thick if scaled up.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Muddyf said:

and WILL have it finished before the GB ends.

Well done Muddy, never built the ‘whispering death’ so will follow with interest.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...