Very impressing result indeed! The Broplan vacus in general are of rather very good quality in the class of vacus, but you mooved it to another space.

Cogratulations :)

J-W

• Thanks 1

This is wonderful! I love flying boats, I love scratch-building and I love the era - so, no chance not to love your model, Roger 😀  Cheers, Michael.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Moa said:

This is an example of extraordinary craftsmanship and research, showing superb skills and dexterity.

The sheer complexity of the subject and the level of detail achieved are mind-blowing.

The finish is impeccable and your talent Roger is truly admirable.

As you well know I was born in Argentina, which to me adds yet another layer of joy.

Congratulations, the result is an example of model building to the highest level.

I am glad that you finally started to show your outstanding creations, that I have known and enjoyed for years.

Don't be shy and please show your other jewels.

The modelers here will surely be grateful, although most likely -like myself- will look at their own hands in dismay as utterly inadequate instruments 😁

Cheers

Thanks !  I thought you would 'dig it'.  It was a fairly challenging project, but I stayed the course and got there in the end.  Biggest problem was the engine nacelle installation. Had to make a precision jig to hold the nacelles in the correct location relative to the fuselage/wing to get all the strut lengths. But even doing that it was tough getting all 8 strut ends each side to touch simultaneously.....kind of like levelling a table on 8 legs !  Then, getting the 8 pins in the strut ends (with glue on) all into their respective holes in the right sequence without marking the paint was pretty nerve-wracking and not something I care to repeat any time soon.

Was only ever going to build the Argentine version, which has more interesting markings than the Italian versions, imo.  Plus, the River Plate has a certain significance for us British.  Don't know much about Argentine civil aviation, but I like their old naval aircraft with the yellow wings and anchor insignia.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JWM said:

Very impressing result indeed! The Broplan vacus in general are of rather very good quality in the class of vacus, but you mooved it to another space.

Cogratulations :)

J-W

Thanks, J-W.  Broplan kits are better than 1970s/80s vacforms for sure, but still have their problems. The plastic is too thin, so you need to provide lots of internal structure, or the joints split whenever you get hold of them and they flex. Plus, the hull halves were asymmetric and the 'sponson' was 1,5mm higher on one side than the other !  Which took a lot of effort to rectify and I couldn't eliminate completely, so the beaching trolley had to be made slightly asymmetric to suit.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

That is gorgeous, Roger. She is a testament to your great work. :). I'm not brave enough to try a vac form! 

Martin

Thanks !  I started building vacforms very young, in the 1970s when there wasn't much choice.  They improved my skills enormously and were a stepping stone to scratchbuilding, as I had to learn to scratchbuild all the smaller parts as there was no aftermarket back then. You do need lots of patience and to be prepared for a long haul. But the end result is always worth it...... 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Josh G said:

VERY very cool; I love Latin American aircraft; is this plane featured in the book Axis Aircraft in Latin America by Hikoki Publishing?

Yes it is (fairly briefly, but worthwhile).   That is a really great book and one of my favourites from the past few years. The title is a bit of a misnomer as the content is 50/50 military and civil. It's stuffed full of exotic, but great, modelling subjects.

• Like 1

That really is an exceptional models as all above have commented. Thanks so much for sharing the images - I can only stare and admire your skills, research and finishing. I'll get back to organising my butterfly collection now and put my stash up for sale!

• Thanks 1

Well, I don't think I have any superlatives capable of expressing how good that is!

I've never built a vac-form (and not likely to in the future) but I appreciate how much work goes into one - especially one this good.

Astonishing workmanship and application to the task over many, many hours.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Thanks !  I started building vacforms very young, in the 1970s when there wasn't much choice.  They improved my skills enormously and were a stepping stone to scratchbuilding, as I had to learn to scratchbuild all the smaller parts as there was no aftermarket back then. You do need lots of patience and to be prepared for a long haul. But the end result is always worth it...... 

I will just contend myself with building injection moulded kits, its As much as my patience can bear ;)....... 

Martin

• Haha 1

Hi Roger,

Wow this is awesome!

I nearly missed it but I'm so glad I didn't, the level of detail and quality of the finish are right up there with the best I've seen here on Britmodeller, or anywhere else for that matter!

I'm particularly impressed by the interior details and the fineness of the aerials which I've not seen done as well in this or any other scale. What did you use?

Let's hope there are lots more from you on here in the near future.

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Turbofan said:

I'm particularly impressed by the interior details and the fineness of the aerials which I've not seen done as well in this or any other scale. What did you use?

Uschi elastic thread. First time I've used it; the aerial configuration is as difficult as it gets and I realised I would have to try something different. Even so, it was very challenging and I had to go and lie down in a darkened room afterwards.

Not sure how elastic material lasts over time.......fingers crossed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Roger,

That is an incredible example of model building of an aircraft of which I was totally unfamiliar; being a vacform, what you have done is all the  more remarkable. At first look, I was thinking this was another of @Moa's mini-masterpieces, but the absence of a lavatory told me otherwise! You, sir, are a model builder, not an assembler, all the more difficult a project, considering getting an immacuate  silver finish on a vacform. Well done!

Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

At first look, I was thinking this was another of @Moa's mini-masterpieces, but the absence of a lavatory told me otherwise! You, sir, are a model builder, not an assembler, all the more difficult a project, considering getting an immacuate  silver finish on a vacform. Well done!

Mike

Thanks. The lavatory is in there.....just not the paper holder.  Never saw drawings of an Italian paper-holder.

You are quite correct about the silver/ vacform problem.  Fill, sand, polish; fill, sand, polish; ad nauseum , until you can see your face in it. Then rough it up a bit so the paint will stick....  Then, paint, polish;  paint, polish.....