My first time posting any model photos here, so I hope this turns out ok.  This is my recently completed Macchi C.94 flying boat, which uses the Broplan 1/72 vacform as a starting point. Most of my models are scratchbuilt, or based on vacform underpinnings which have a significant scratchbuilt content, so my completions are somewhat infrequent. Major projects like this typically consume around 1000 hours' work, thinly spread over several years as I usually work on multiple projects in rotation. As is typical with my vacform builds, only major components were used and practically everything else was scratchbuilt, except for the engines, which are Vector resin Bristol Pegasus. Cockpit and cabin are fully detailed throughout. 

The Macchi C.94 was a product of famed designer Mario Castoldi, but a distinct change of pace from his more familiar Schneider Trophy seaplanes. With an all-plywood structure and hull lines reputedly derived from WW1 Curtiss flying boats, it was a curious blend of ancient and modern. 12 were built: 6 Serie I aircraft with Wright Cyclones and 6 Serie II with Alfa-Romeo Bristol Pegasus engines. All initially served on the Mediterranean routes of Mussolini's airline Ala Littoria, beginning in 1936. But in 1938, the last 3 constructed were transferred to Argentine affiliate Corporacion Sudamericana de Servicios Aereos, where they were named Rio de la Plata, Rio Parana and Rio Uruguay. As their names suggest, they served the River Plate and tributaries and also a coastal route running from Rosario in the south to Montevideo in the north. After around 8 years of reliable service through the war years, all 3 were destroyed in a suspicious hangar fire and replaced by Short Solents. 

Probably the only 'Golden Age' Argentinian subject I will ever make. Most of my projects are American or British, but occasionally I get the urge to build something exotic !

vff46cj9zt38UUgXNvU5Mp4ZJV9GlMTe6QzLKd1P

ZVYCx-TDoXzSpFnnWBoEU8_xGPv151vGe2ghfAat

mtQ59XqG5ctR07bzs97aOHvWfWlxhUhJegDoAKF7

vgduiiJyQubo4ZIw1P5FKz7z8xb-zCqDsTPXA6cO

7iwB92cB83WX05kYcEC8dEnnOBBRwQhyMA1PUQsg

_5FZREAIr8XVDy41pL0rjRnB505_tu912b7ttMMc

CKVzeZ8ixekLJv3GpPVvTGxXDE7PKYyd_LadId6_

JPS-AgS1wlm8RSfdidr-R0p-yGLjWHi7rD2hbTuq

1OuGPy-_M_SG7B2w8OsGGX6KhrK99oBTXp3g0JBJ

PB9IaWC71trGxR6oE8LfAkhzfn6pQLveAiP3bhhC

cacbKB2Sb818zS1lyAb1xGZBsiLcVYaq6fNh8OnM

v-sk9fWfugKXPWw6pzvfmB5FoMuXMFhm08Q6_AnS

IIDZgmrtGh6rRa5HXs-cKX-Rg_3gRZlopm6sLPb6

SUiP42fGGrp30pjM2y1fUsRdEiwAC0o0uv5hzvCB

0A95g3WkYIMmPr24aZjSm3Bp8xEN3GaGqfoA3ABd

• Like 68
  • Thanks 3

I was wondering when we would see your work Roger. Exceptional work with lovely attention to detail... beautiful.

Are they turnbuckles I see down at the floats? What's your technique in making them?

More please, maybe some past projects? Or, maybe a WiP?

Stuart

Roger,

Excellent result with this vacuform kit with all your modifications, 

I love those old planes ! 

Thanks for showing your model !

Hope to see more.... 

JohnHaa 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Well that certainly is exotic! What an outstanding piece of work, beautiful finish and attention to detail.

Cheers

John

Thanks. I like your 1/144 stuff, too.......

3 hours ago, MarkH206 said:

That's just wonderful.  Your display shelves must be fantastic.

Mark

No; they're all put away in boxes.  I've only built several dozen in 30 years, so there aren't that many....

2 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Superbly elegant and insanely detailed (is there a roll of paper in the loo, by any chance?) model of a beautiful flying machine.

Kind regards,

Joachim

No;  I don't share Moa's predilection for lavatorial modelling...... 😉

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Are they turnbuckles I see down at the floats? What's your technique in making them?

More please, maybe some past projects? Or, maybe a WiP?

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Turnbuckles are built up from layers of thinned wood glue.  About all that's feasible in 1/72, but they look the part.  Will post other stuff when I get around to it. 

• Like 1

This is an example of extraordinary craftsmanship and research, showing superb skills and dexterity.

The sheer complexity of the subject and the level of detail achieved are mind-blowing.

The finish is impeccable and your talent Roger is truly admirable.

As you well know I was born in Argentina, which to me adds yet another layer of joy.

Congratulations, the result is an example of model building to the highest level.

I am glad that you finally started to show your outstanding creations, that I have known and enjoyed for years.

Don't be shy and please show your other jewels.

The modelers here will surely be grateful, although most likely -like myself- will look at their own hands in dismay as utterly inadequate instruments 😁

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1