This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

phat trev

Help compiling a list of aircraft used in films

Hey, I hope BM,ers may be able to help out?

I am writing a list of aircraft types (still flying today) that have been used in films. For example, B-17 ‘Sally B’ used in Memphis Belle or Spitfire Mk.IXb, MH434 used in a number of films etc. Looking for both well known staring roles and those possibly not so well known (DH Tiger Moth used as Thunderbird 6).

hope those reading this might be able to help start listing!! cheers PT

I think it might be easier if you specify the films. For example Memphis Belle had several B17s and P51s among others. Dunkirk had the Spitfires. It's a huge topic. 633 squadron and all those Mozzies. The Battle of Britain, Empire of the Sun, Red Tails, Hanover Street (B25s), Pearl Harbour. That's just off the top of my head. Not to mention many other more obscure films and TV. 

I wonder if there are already websites covering the topic. I'm sure I've seen something. 

Edited by noelh

Lots of F-14s on screen in the 80s. When they weren't  splashing Zeroes they were hanging out with Tom Cruise :)

Blimey you've picked a task and a half . if you take the Battle of Britain film . I know most if not all were given UK G reg from memory Heinkel 111s starting G-AWAA or WAB and there were plenty of them in sequence . Saw those at Blackbushe late 60s .The rubbish in my head . I've just off loaded 3 mb of it !

Edited by bzn20

The task is slightly easier than @noelh may think as @phat trev only asked about "aircraft currently flying". However I would guess that other - aviation focused - forums might be a better place to ask the question.

Also a basic Internet search brings up a number of sites which seem to part answer the question.

That will probably be a massive task, and there must surely be a website or book covering your interest.  There's already a website covering everything wrong with planes in movies!

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JustPlaneWrong

Have fun reading!

Cheers

Will

How many films with reg and then how many registers would you have to go through to check if they are still current ?

1 hour ago, noelh said:

I think it might be easier if you specify the films. For example Memphis Belle had several B17s and P51s among others. Dunkirk had the Spitfires. It's a huge topic. 633 squadron and all those Mozzies. The Battle of Britain, Empire of the Sun, Red Tails, Hanover Street (B25s), Pearl Harbour. That's just off the top of my head. Not to mention many other more obscure films and TV. 

I wonder if there are already websites covering the topic. I'm sure I've seen something. 

You have Wikipedia has a whole page dedicated to this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_in_fiction

Its actually what inspired me to create the Movie/TV Aircraft build. That was morphed into this. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

The IMDB website has a section devoted to various mechanical co stars including aircraft, not sure if it identifies their fates.

Steve.

I'll just put the Beech 18 out there. Many still flying and I've seen them in far too many films and TV shows to remember.

Edited by upnorth

The B-17, formerly known as "Chuckie" was in a TV episode of the children's show "Littlest Hobo" to the best I can recall.

B-17 "Sally B" was used in the 1980's TV series "We'll Meet Again". This image is from the 1982 Sunderland Airshow showing the B-17 in film markings and with the newly fitted turrets added for the filming.

b17f4.jpg

C-47A G-DAKS from the 1980's TV series "Airline", named "Vera Lynn" for the show, is still operated by "Aces High", registered N147DC.

c47c7.jpg

@phat trev have a look at the internet movie plane database: http://impdb.org/index.php?title=The_Internet_Movie_Plane_Database

I can see myself getting deeply lost in this site! My favourite so far is the Mi-24 in US Coast Guard colours in a Russian film - have a look here: http://impdb.org/index.php?title=Zarjazhennye_smert'ju

There is a book with all this in A freind has a copy of it.

Several of the Shuttleworth Collection WW1 aircraft were used as ground props for the 1970's BBC TV series "Wings" and are still flying today.

The de Havilland dH.89a G-AGJG was seen briefly in the LWT TV series "Piece of Cake" in the late 1980's and is still flying.

dragon20.jpg

Avro Triplane - "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines", still flying with the Shuttleworth Collection.

triplane_avro8.jpg

and the Boxkite - "Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines", still flying with the Shuttleworth Collection. Were any others from the collection used in the film?

boxkite1.jpg

For one that is a bit more obscure, how about Jungmann G-TAFF from the Real Aeroplane Company. It was used indirectly for the film "Fly Boys". Real WW1 aircraft were deemed too slow to be dramatic for combat sequences in the film. Therefore, G-TAFF was filmed flying and performing aerobatics to obtain refernce shots of how a lower powered, but not too slow, biplane type aircraft, behaved while flying. This reference footage was then passed on to the CGI team who animated the WW1 dog fights for the film.

jungmann9.jpg

32 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Were any others from the collection used in the film?

The Blackburn Monoplane was the only flying collection aircraft used in the film (at the time).

The Deperdussin appears in the film but doesn't fly.

The Triplane and Boxkite were built for the film and aquired by the collection after filming was completed.

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

'Secret Army' is still flying....

SSHH ! loose tongues etc .

Re "Memphis Belle" film. Only two of the five B-17's from the film are still flying today.

Closest to the camera is the genuine B-17F, named "C Cup" for the film, but at the time owned by Bob Richardson. It became "Boeing Bee" and is at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

Second is the French IGN B-17G, named "baby Ruth" for the film, it was lost in the take off crash at Binbrook during the filming.

Third is the other French B-17G, named "Mother & Country" for the film. More recently named "Pink Lady", it was grounded a few years ago due to rising running costs and an aging crew.

Fourth was the B-17G owned at the time by David Tallichet, himself a wartime 100th Bomb Group co-pilot. His sister, film actress Margaret Tallichet, was the longtime wife of renowned film director William Wyler who directed the wartime documentary about the "Memphis Belle". David's neice, Catherine Wyler, was the producer of the 1989 film. His B-17 played the starring role for most of the film except the final landing roll out scene ( played by "Sally B" ). The B-17 is still flying as the "Movie Memphis Belle".

The last in the row is B-17G "Sally B", displaying in the UK and Europe since the mid 1970's and still active today.

b17a5.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force