1982 Renault RE30B

Renault RE30B

Alain Prost, British Grand Prix, Brands Hatch, 18th July 1982

Tamiya Renault RE30B 004

Tamiya kit bought in 1985 and spent about 32 years in the attic waiting to be built. Hence very yellowed decals which were replaced with those from Indycals. I nearly sent the decals back as the number 15s were printed in Magenta, not Red. But cleverly they turn the right shade of red when applied over the yellow paint!

Tamiya Renault RE30B 006

Tamiya Renault RE30B 008

Tamiya Renault RE30B 019

Tamiya Renault RE30B 021

Tamiya Renault RE30B 022

Tamiya Renault RE30B 023

Tamiya Renault RE30B 026

Tamiya Renault RE30B 031

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

A very nice and clean looking build, excellent attention to detail (eg engine block, dashboard). It looks to be out-of-the-box, or did you add anything extra (apart from the replacement decals)?

Edited by sennapod
Typos

3 hours ago, sennapod said:

A very nice and clean looking build, excellent attention to detail (eg engine block, dashboard). It looks to be out-of-the-box, or did you add anything extra (apart from the replacement decals)?

Just Tamiya seat belts and a couple of wires. The kit provides the yellow ignition leads but they look far too thick and I should have replaced them.

Another great build. I think this is the first car I remember from Formula 1, right down to it being Prost driving it - I think it was something to do with it being bright yellow which drew my 6-year old eyes in back in '82.

A really nice build indeed. The yellow looks spot on, which did you use?

It deserves a mini diorama, either coming in to parc ferme in first place or parked up on some grass with dirty tyres and smoke coming out!

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

Another great build. I think this is the first car I remember from Formula 1, right down to it being Prost driving it - I think it was something to do with it being bright yellow which drew my 6-year old eyes in back in '82.

Yes indeed - plenty of smoke and retirements in 1982. The yellow paint is Tamiya acrylic X-8 Lemon Yellow airbrushed over a base of Tamiya white primer.

sorry - just realised I quoted the wrong post. Must do this when I’m more awake!

Edited by CT Modeller
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I am putting this on the bench next and I appreciate being able to look at your beautiful build for some ideas on detailing.  I have the Indycal decals also and nice to know that once applied they look good and the color is true.  This will be my first F1 subject and first car for that matter since I was a kid.  I know this was posted some time ago but do you recall the paints you used for the Yellow and White?  Again, beautiful job you did on this!

Nice model and well done, I've got one to get to at some point as I remember that era of F1 fondly, dead fast or dead at the side of the road with smoke pouring out, there was no in between 😃