Cats and Dogs

Rob G

I have ideas, but after I birth them someone else will have to feed and raise them...

Here's...

The Cats and Dogs GB.  Anything named after a cat or a dog. Dingo armoured cars, Tiger tanks, most of Grumman's cats, HMS Lion, anything with an individual name or mascot or badge to do with dogs or cats ie the 'Snifter' cartoon as used on Aussie (and others') Lancasters, NATO Tiger squadron aircraft, dog handlers and their charges, that Gulf War Tornado named after a small white dog with delusions, anything really. You can even do a cartoon animal - let's see Grommit in action!

Translations from the foreign are OK, but they have to translate correctly eg the German 'Seehund' is a seal as well as a (sort-of) submarine, not a sea dog.

Lots of scope, especially if you dig a bit- many Western products have different names when in foreign service, and that's valid. Start looking around, this'un's easy to enter!  No WIFs, but if you can find an SF example, give it a go!

If this gets votes, it WILL need someone to volunteer to host it, I won't be able to do so.

Interested.

1. vvpelt68 - Host/Co-host

2. Zebra

3. Corsairfoxfouruncle

4. CliffB

5. Valkyrie

6. Bonhoff

• Like 1

Count me in. I think my family would prefer me to go for a cat, although I can’t think what I have in the stash that fits the bill right now (there surely must be something!)

• Like 2

I started thinking about what I'd want to build for a cats and dogs GB and discovered Harrier and Chinook are both dog breeds. I felt a bit daft at this point, as I'd always thought a Harrier was a bird, but it's a bird as well so my pride is intact!

• Like 1

@zebra
while you're not wrong, the Harrier was named after the bird (its preproduction/proof of concept type was named Kestrel, and both are raptors that hover to hunt) and the Chinook was named after the Native American tribe, in common with most US Army helicopters. Chinook is also a type of salmon, but who'd name an aircraft after a fish? (Someone will no doubt now give me an example...)

Given the origins of the names used for those machines , I'm going to have to disallow them, sadly. You can however, build either subject if you can find one with a unit badge (or zap!), nose art or name or pilot's name or personal marking on it. Sorry. There is still a lot of time until this GB goes, if it ever does.

@Rob G fair enough!

I've been thinking I need to build the Handley Page Manx for a while. There's also the Mi-4 Hound in the stash.

Also: Guppy! Maybe we need to start a fish group build!

Edited by zebra
forgot something
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 5:51 PM, zebra said:

@Rob G fair enough!

I've been thinking I need to build the Handley Page Manx for a while. There's also the Mi-4 Hound in the stash.

Also: Guppy! Maybe we need to start a fish group build!

The Manx is one of those oddly English oddities that cropped up 'between the wars'. That'll be a fun one. The Hound too.

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

Me too please.  I've plenty of obvious military candidates, but also a Palair Macedonian Tu.154 waiting in the wings.

Also: Dornier Wal - or maybe not!

I had to look Palair up - a lion rampant will do the job nicely. Not sure about the Wal though... (unless you mean for the Fish GB, in which case get with Zebra and propose it!)

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:27 AM, Rob G said:

@Bonhoff Ahh, but this is cats AND DOGS (which are much superior to cats). ;)

Are you in for this one?

Can see no argument against it....

Got several catty type things in the stash.

IanJ

• Like 1