Fw190 revell 1/32

So before the pictures, some background. SWMBO bought me a little 1/72 sopwith Camel some time last year and that's what started me off making models again. Before that I was about 7 or 8. 

Anyway I enjoyed doing  and decided to do something bigger. Big mistake. I started it and struggled. Eventually leaving it in the box.

A week or so later I bought a few from gumtree. Just 1/72 scale. After doing those I had picked up a few tricks and sort of fathomed the airbrush out. (thanks to my mate Bill for that donation) 

So I decided to go back and finish the fw190. Its in a sorry state close up. Dodgy part lines haven't filled bits etc. 

You'd think I'd be good at it since I mold and cast tat for a living. But I rarely pay much attention to the stuff at work, unless something interesting comes in for a one off or limited run. Anyway. Here she is. 

Fw190

Never done mottling before, so that was also a challenge. 

Fw190

Never done photo etch before. However I found this the easiest and most satisfying bit. 

Some chips, scratches, overspray etc but I'm happy with it so far. 

Feel free to comment. 

I've got a Bristol Beaufighter to do after this. And a Lancaster part built. 

Cheers 🐧

• Like 4

Going to respray the grey colour, to tidy up the wings and add some to the front where the green is. 

I'm thinking ill weather and distress this quite a lot to hide some of the mistakes I made putting this together. 

Edited by FPDPenguin

Fw190

Tidied up some of the over spray, ish. May have just created more 🤔 added some more grey to the body and the nose. Tried a little more mottling. I think I'm going to leave it here and just distress the life out of it. Maybe some bullet holes too. 

• Like 3

Looks nice to me! To be honest, mottling scares the living Bejeebers out of me! I avoid it like the plague - I've built a few Luftwaffe subjects, but I've always done examples without mottling. Someday I suppose I'll force myself to do one with the mottling.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Thankyou very much. 

I feel the same way, this is by no means perfect or historically accurate paint job.

But practice I suppose. Going to mask up for the yellow rudder and yellow band round the nose. 

• Like 1

Yellow went on last night, seems a little patchy, and has gathered up a little on the right hand edge next to the tape. 

Can I carefully sand it back to smooth it out? 

Lacquer and decals soon. Will put landing gear and bombs on last

Snapped a gun barrel. So decided to replace them both. 

Fw190

Some metal rod and a copper I think bit of tube. 

Fw190 Fw190

Dry fitted barrels. Got to paint some more detail on the engine and inside the wheel bays and engine covers. 

• Like 1

I've got the two guns sorted, but on a lot of models I've seen there's a third barrel sticking out of the wing. What's this part? It's not in the revel kit I've got. 

Edited by FPDPenguin

53 minutes ago, Bstarr3 said:

If it's out toward the wing tip, is it the pitot tube? Great work here - it's hard to get the nerve up to revisit an abandoned kit. I have this one in my stash as well

Theres that one, which also isn't in the kit, but another, close to a wing mounted machine gun. Slightly longer than the barrel of the machine gun. Both not in the revel kit, or I've lost them 

Got some decals on this evening. Managed the bottom and one side. They played ball mostly. 

Fw190

Fw190

Fw190

Fw190

Fw190

Will sort the other side tomorrow. I've noticed the one iron cross on the wing surface has silvered slightly. How can I fix this?