Badger's 1/76 Matchbox Churchill AVRE

Evening All

I'll be building this for this GB.

IMG_20190610_214009

I'm sure this is a kit many of us are familiar with. I had one in my childhood and made a complete mess of it.

I then bought another about 15 years ago and made a mess of that so this really is a bit of a nemesis kit for me. Hoping third time lucky will see this built.

I may or may not be doing it as the SBG bridgelayer. I have a cunning plan to ring the changes but it will depend on some bits arriving in time, and fitting this kit.

Gratuitous sprue shot shows the trademark Matchbox multi colours

IMG_20190610_214037

The kit is reasonably well detailed but it's all a bit "soft". The tools will be removed and replaced with something a bit more 3d, as will the grab handles, tow cables etc.

IMG_20190610_221247

I remember the kit needs some weight to sit properly and the instructions recommend 20grams.

I cut four slices of roof flashing, taped them up to avoid glue reactions and stuck them in with some no more nails! The hull now feels nice and weighty so job done.

IMG_20190610_221152

I did manage to get the hull top on as well.

This has been fun so far - a real blast from the past!

All the best

Ben

• Like 11

17 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hope it's Third Time - Lucky

Welcoem to the build Ben

Many thanks

I'll see how I get on with this build for now as I also have another subject I'd like to have a go at if I get time.

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Looks like another interesting build in prospect. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers Stix

This was a last minute decision as I was originally planning a totally different build!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A classic kit, I too made a mess of one in my youth so I'm really interested to see how you get on this time.

Many thanks.

Hopefully this won't be the total disaster the last two have been! 

The stumbling block has always been getting the bridge parts to line up, especially the framework.

If I don't use the bridge, I shouldn't have this problem!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Quick update tonight.

The running gear is now on both sides. The nice thing about this kit is that there are no individual wheels to clean up :giggle:

2019-06-11_10-37-30

I've also removed the tools from the hull top ready for some scratchbuilt replacements.

I've been working on the turret but need to finish the petard barrel and it's mounting before I can glue the turret halves together.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good progress there Ben.  Those wheels look easuer than I would have feared.

Many thanks - they're moulded as a strip so much easier than the old separate Airfix Churchill wheels which are a total nightmare to get level.

Having said that the whole thing is going together much nicer so far than I remember from my previous builds. Fairly sure I'm now going to live to regret saying this!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Thanks Ozzy

The kit dates from the early eighties I think but is generally regarded quite well.

It's been re-released under the Revell label in the last few years so should be fairly easy to still get hold of.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good start to this Ben, nice to see some more armour in this GB. I remember building one of these matchbox 3 colour kits when I was a kid, can’t remember for the life of me what tank it was though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2019 at 06:23, bigfoot said:

Good start to this Ben, nice to see some more armour in this GB. I remember building one of these matchbox 3 colour kits when I was a kid, can’t remember for the life of me what tank it was though!

Cheers Bigfoot.

A matchbox panzer ii was the first kit I ever built so I have a bit of a soft spot for their armour range as I built most of them in my youth.

In other news the mysterious bits have arrived! Really need to get back to this build - soon I promise!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It lives!

Other things have been stopping me getting much modelling in for the last few weeks, but as term finished on Friday and all my students  have now departed (sadly I don't  finish for a couple of weeks yet), hopefully I can revive at least this build (think the tiger one has expired!).

To start with we have this:

2019-07-07_10-20-47

This is S&S models resin and metal conversion for a Churchill AVRE fascine carrier.

It's  mainly aimed at war gamers so will need a fair bit of cleaning up, but it was relatively cheap.

I did a quick test fit as it is meant for a 1/72 kit but it fits very nicely. Sadly the wading gear I also ordered is too big - never mind as I have a dragon kit that can go on. Having spotted  Milicast offer the wading gear in 1/76 in resin I've  ordered a set (although postage was rather high!).

An hour's cleaning up and a bit of super glue action got me this:

20190707_221352

Quite pleased with that.

A test fit looked good:

20190707_221425

Being metal it's pretty hefty so glad I added the weight inside the hull.

All the best

Ben

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Good to see you have been able to get back to this project - and looks like good progress too.

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix.

I actually got a fair bit more done last night but didn't  get chance to take any photos as my phone battery died.

Will update tonight

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Aye up Ben.

Nice progress and it will look great with the cradle and facine fitted. Something a bit different.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve

That was my thoughts exactly. I have another in the stash and didn't fancy two bridgelayers.

I've made a bit more progress on this tonight.

At the end of last session I assembled the turret, then slathered it in filler to sort out a rather nasty seam where the top overhang the bottom. There were also some noticeable sink marks in the turret sides.

I started tonight by heavily sanding the filler smooth, then tried something new for me and stopped on a coat of mr surfacer 1000 to add a cast texture and help hide the filler. This worked a treat and I'm  really impressed with the result.

20190711_213013 20190711_213027

I need to apply a bit more around the mantle opening.

To end tonight I've removed the excessive lip from inside both hatches and thinned the loaders  hatch to about half it's original thickness. I'll do the same to the commanders hatch next session.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

That filler I should certainly helping your turret Ben.  Had a look on Flicker, where it shows up very well.

Thanks for looking in. I'm rather pleased with it for the first time and will definitely be using it again. The only downside is the smell as it is rather "pungent" but dries very quickly.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1