This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

badger

Badger's 1/76 Matchbox Churchill AVRE

Evening All

I'll be building this for this GB.

IMG_20190610_214009

I'm sure this is a kit many of us are familiar with. I had one in my childhood and made a complete mess of it.

I then bought another about 15 years ago and made a mess of that so this really is a bit of a nemesis kit for me. Hoping third time lucky will see this built.

I may or may not be doing it as the SBG bridgelayer. I have a cunning plan to ring the changes but it will depend on some bits arriving in time, and fitting this kit.

Gratuitous sprue shot shows the trademark Matchbox multi colours

IMG_20190610_214037

The kit is reasonably well detailed but it's all a bit "soft". The tools will be removed and replaced with something a bit more 3d, as will the grab handles, tow cables etc.

IMG_20190610_221247

I remember the kit needs some weight to sit properly and the instructions recommend 20grams.

I cut four slices of roof flashing, taped them up to avoid glue reactions and stuck them in with some no more nails! The hull now feels nice and weighty so job done.

IMG_20190610_221152

I did manage to get the hull top on as well.

This has been fun so far - a real blast from the past!

All the best

Ben

Hope it's Third Time - Lucky

Welcoem to the build Ben

Hi Ben. Looks like another interesting build in prospect. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix 

17 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Hope it's Third Time - Lucky

Welcoem to the build Ben

Many thanks

I'll see how I get on with this build for now as I also have another subject I'd like to have a go at if I get time.

8 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Ben. Looks like another interesting build in prospect. :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix 

Cheers Stix

This was a last minute decision as I was originally planning a totally different build!

All the best

Ben

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A classic kit, I too made a mess of one in my youth so I'm really interested to see how you get on this time.

Many thanks.

Hopefully this won't be the total disaster the last two have been! 

The stumbling block has always been getting the bridge parts to line up, especially the framework.

If I don't use the bridge, I shouldn't have this problem!

All the best

Ben

Quick update tonight.

The running gear is now on both sides. The nice thing about this kit is that there are no individual wheels to clean up :giggle:

2019-06-11_10-37-30

I've also removed the tools from the hull top ready for some scratchbuilt replacements.

I've been working on the turret but need to finish the petard barrel and it's mounting before I can glue the turret halves together.

More soon

All the best

Ben

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

Good progress there Ben.  Those wheels look easuer than I would have feared.

Many thanks - they're moulded as a strip so much easier than the old separate Airfix Churchill wheels which are a total nightmare to get level.

Having said that the whole thing is going together much nicer so far than I remember from my previous builds. Fairly sure I'm now going to live to regret saying this!

All the best

Ben

Nice looking build, I hadn't seen one of these before from Matchbox. Watching with interest.

Thanks Ozzy

The kit dates from the early eighties I think but is generally regarded quite well.

It's been re-released under the Revell label in the last few years so should be fairly easy to still get hold of.

All the best

Ben

Good start to this Ben, nice to see some more armour in this GB. I remember building one of these matchbox 3 colour kits when I was a kid, can’t remember for the life of me what tank it was though!