Eight Gun Fw190A-5/U12 - Eduard 1/48 'New Generation'

This is my rendition of Eduards  1/48 'New Generation' Focke Wulf Fw190A-5. I decided after failing to find an alternative colour scheme, against

those given by Eduard, which took my interest. It is not always easy I found to distinguish the 4 gun A-5 (light fighter!!) from the 6 gun A-5 (heavy fighter) I therefore, against my usual practice of using schemes supplied in the kit decided to build Graff's A-5.

But then when looking in my spares box I came across a set of the gun pods carried by the U12 version. These I believe were from a 1/48 Dragon Fw190, upon examination these seemed accurate and as the Eduard 190 kits supply Mg151 gun barrels which are hollow at the tips, I then made my mind up to build the A-5/U12 version. My only other additions to this excellent kit was the Eduard Brassin cockpit and some detail to the undercarriage bay.

I used the new range of AK's True Colour Luftwaffe paints, which although are 'scale colour' (not sure to what scale!!) I added 10% white which I thought came out quite well.

Decals came mostly from the kit, these I wasn't a 100% happy with, they are printed by Eduard and have a flat finish which I found didn't totally disappear when applied to the usual gloss finish. Eduard please give us glossy decals!!

I did not want to finish the aircraft in the popular Erich Hondt scheme and just happened to find a thread on Hyperscale Forum about alternative schemes for this particular 190 variant.

My build represents the Fw190A-5/U12 flown by Hermann Segatz of 11./JG1 early 1944, Germany. Unfortunately the photo of this aircraft does not show the fuselage side very well so the number or 'Doppelwinkel' is not shown. I decided therefore to apply the Doppelwinkel as Segatz was Gruppenkommandeur the personal badge was a home made decal:-

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Using the gun pods in my spares box saved me money, I do think the Brassin set is slightly overpriced especially if you don't want the decals for Hondt's machine.

However I highly recommend the Eduard 1/48 Fw190 family and look forward to future variants they will eventually release, maybe the S-8!!!!

Cheers

Andy

• Like 33

Andy..

:wow:

your  Re 190 A is a STUNNING  and GORGEOUS model with OUTSTANDING  Figure work which depicts movement very realistically. 

The setting of the model is IMPRESSIVELY carried out and love the grassy base ..  :clap:

KUDOS....  :mike:

Edited by HOUSTON

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...