New 1/48 Airfix Spitfire FR.XIV

Here's the new tool Airfix Spitfire FR.XIV finished and build OOB.

I've used most of the decals from the II(AC) squadron but depicted another aircraft on strength.

I first saw this scheme on the Fighter Collections' Spitfire MK.14 in the mid-90's. They had applied their actual aircraft's serial in place of the original from SM927 though.

IMG_20190610_194427

IMG_20190610_194443

IMG_20190610_194545

IMG_20190610_194508

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 41

Thanks all,

It was an easy build and I didn't find any problems with fit and finish. Good level of detail too.

I liked it so much I'm, looking to go and buy another one now for a completely different scheme.

• Like 2

David that’s lovely. It’s a grand kit and you’ve really done it justice. To me the sit is just perfect. Thanks for reposting your  (definitive!) Hornet thread too I’ve a CA Sea Hornet waiting in the wings, what a beautiful aeroplane. 

(Also can it really be true that the kiwis are restoring one to flight?)

8 hours ago, MattSimps74 said:

David that’s lovely. It’s a grand kit and you’ve really done it justice. To me the sit is just perfect. Thanks for reposting your  (definitive!) Hornet thread too I’ve a CA Sea Hornet waiting in the wings, what a beautiful aeroplane. 

(Also can it really be true that the kiwis are restoring one to flight?)

Thanks for the kind words.

… and regarding the DH Sea Hornet CF-GUO, TT193. Yes, it is now in New Zealand with a company that is actively collecting the last major parts required for a re-build to flight, ie. engines, radiators and undercarriage. 

• Like 1

Looks superb.  I really like this scheme on a Griffon Spitfire.  It looks so sleek.  I've been reading the Rumourmonger thread on the quality issues with some of these kits with interest.  Glad to hear you had no such issues.  Now all Airfix have to do is scale it down to 1/72.