1/48 Hph B-36 SAC Part1

Great progress Loren! Unfortunately there is another thing that will need to be fixed. I noticed recently that the pylon for the jet engines is incorrectly shaped. The leading edge coming down from the wing is too long and will need to be changed, at least when I do mine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:shoot:

• Like 1

And when you put it all together you get a front bay that looks like this.

49189731723_0d9bd97b57_c.jpg

49190429152_014eeaaba6_c.jpg

Before I can complete the rear bay I have to finish the rear upper and lower  turret assemblies. That's for my next exciting episode. so stay tuned.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nachtwulf said:

Great progress Loren! Unfortunately there is another thing that will need to be fixed. I noticed recently that the pylon for the jet engines is incorrectly shaped. The leading edge coming down from the wing is too long and will need to be changed, at least when I do mine. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:shoot:

Figures, I just started the pods themselves, oh the joys...😫

• Sad 1

If this was meant to be easy everyone would be doing it..Bar keep! A round of Guinness for me and me mates. keep it coming every 10 minutes til the first person passes out. then every 5 minutes after that. Time for some serious building and thinkin drinkin. :drink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Time for a new update. First up the lower turrets and ammo belts Now unfortunately once installed you won't be able to much of the detail of the lower turret section, but you will be able to see a little bit through the end of the rear bomb bay.

Couldn't quite not do something and as I like to say in for a penny, in for a pound.

49230884791_cbe6c14f04_c.jpg

49231110432_17bb53aea1_c.jpg

49230418693_29822740dc_c.jpg

The turrets I mass produced with my ever trusty, if not very old, Vacuform machine. The ammo belts I thought about getting Eduards 20,mm resin ammo belts, but I didn't want to wait for them to arrive so a little bit of rod cut to length and attached to thin masking tape.

the tape made the belts pliable and bendy. Control boxes and ammo storage from card stock and thin rod.

• Like 3

From there again I took some off white and silver thread to recreate the electrical cabling

49230418853_9136442607_c.jpg

49230884691_73814c27b7_c.jpg

49230418813_f0a2ddf754_c.jpg

49231110447_edf0c07036_c.jpg

I don't think I could have done this on the 1/72 scale, my fingers are too big and my eyesight too poor even with magnifiers.

• Like 4

Now with the lower turrets, folding mounts and ammo belts threaded through.

49230418828_5cdf09518c_c.jpg

49230999101_8d3989b1e7_c.jpg

Once I install this into the fuselage I'll put the electrical cabling in its proper spots.

• Like 1

The top turrets at the rear I'll install once I have everything done to keep it from damaged while moving it around.

49231223817_5e08d03513_c.jpg

49231223742_a6c2c23975_c.jpg

TomProbert made an observation recently about how much card gets used when doing something like this. Spending almost as much if not more on plastic card and rod.

and I came up with a little equation that fits the bill nicely, Forgive me Albert. 

Cost of build equals the model times the square of the plasticard and rod. $=mp2.

So there you have it for now. Tomorrow I'll install this portion in the fuselage and work my way forward with the rear Bomb bay Which I have a feeling will be more interesting than putting the forward bay in. so stay tuned for more exciting adventures.

• Like 4

Back once again. Rear turret assembly went in with some encouragement. The back bulkhead had to be removed and installed first because of the size of the bomb bay openings. You would think I would remember a small detail like that. Nope.

49235763171_232b3e54c0_c.jpg

But it did fit perfectly

49235294408_12284418cc_c.jpg

I'll have to do some tidying up of seams but otherwise not too shabby.

And next the roof sections of the rear bay. Had to do some small trimming Now the port and Starboard bay rigging and bracing. That I should have ready by the weekend.

• Like 5

Good Day on this last busy Saturday before Father Christmas' arrival. Not wishing to intrude on everyone's festivities, but I have discovered a bit of an issue with paint coverage that I hope my esteemed colleagues may be able to assist me with.

When I first laid down the coating of AlcladII to the magnesium portions of the fuselage. I noticed that the color was too dark for color I was attempting to achieve. SO, I let the Alclad set for a day, and applied a very fine mist of Model Master dull aluminium.

At that point it gave me the effect I was trying to achieve plus the extra bonus of a well worn patina. Now upon closer inspection some months later I see fine hair line cracks in the paint.

49253474516_598521cb38_c.jpg

49253000008_de46fce99b_c.jpg

49253673702_00c0f5fb83_c.jpg

I had planned on doing the upper wing surfaces the same way, but with this issue, I'm perplexed as to how it happened and how to prevent it in the future, To repair the current damage, I guess I'll have to sand down the sides again and reapply. and suggestions on preventing a repeat would be greatly welcome. Thank you in advance. I now return you to your regularly scheduled festive revelry.

• Sad 3

It is either an drying issue, the first coat of alclad wasn't dry. Or more likely a reaction as I think alclad is lacquer and model-master is either enamel or acrylic ? The two (lacquer & acrylic) definitely don't mix well. You can try putting a clear coat between the two to try and prevent a reaction, but test on a scrap piece first. Definitely give the Alclad a few days to a week to off gas and dry before clear and paint. 

Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I thought it might be the case. The Model Master was an enamel, Didn't think about Alclad degassing that long or would react with an enamel on top. . I had let it set for 24 hrs. Strange part is I hadn't noticed before now. I'll just have to carefully sand it down and recoat. C'est le guerre.

• Like 1

I think its fixable, like i said test it out on a sheet of plastic or scrap from the kit. Watch it for a week or two and see if it happens again. If it does then you’ll have to find a different approach. For what its worth this is a great build and i really cant wait to see it finished. If i had a hanger to store it in id buy one and build it. 

I'm sure its fixable, no problem is insurmountable. you just need the appropriate amount of explosives for the job.😎 Thank you. It has been an enjoyable, if long, build. I don't know that I would want to try it again, Vacs are so much easier. The problem when finished won't be where to put it, but to find a place big enough to take its picture when done.

• Like 1

Not much to report from the front, but taking a moment to go slightly off topic and wish everyone here a most joyous  Holiday Season and the hope that Father Christmas was very kind to all.  Merry Christmas!

• Thanks 2

If you haven't started sanding yet, might I suggest using Mr. Color thinner instead. It will easily cut through the paint and it will not mar the fiberglass. I use  anytime i need to clean up a paint issue. It doesn't attack plastic clear parts even. I would test it before using it on clear resin though just in case. Now I'm off to fondle my new HPH B-52........

8 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

If you haven't started sanding yet, might I suggest using Mr. Color thinner instead. It will easily cut through the paint and it will not mar the fiberglass. I use  anytime i need to clean up a paint issue. It doesn't attack plastic clear parts even. I would test it before using it on clear resin though just in case. Now I'm off to fondle my new HPH B-52........

I will keep that in mind Nachtwulf. Congratulations on the acquisition ! Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year Everyone! It looks like we all survived the festivities of the holidays, in one form or another. Well to start this new year off,, The bomb bays on this leviathan of resin and bits is pretty much complete. The actuating arms, doors and ordinance I'll wait until the fuselage is complete before adding to prevent the probability of damage for being chucked around so much. In the meantime lets see what insane goodies I DID add to the bays shall we.....

49319174547_5a98088fc2_c.jpg

First up some large bits of plumbing that goes over, or under to be more precise the wing box. I didn't have any plastic stock in the right diameter and I didn't really want to wait a week for an order to arrive ,so looking around I found something similar, the paper stick from a cotton bud. Not as fancy as plastic rod, but I did have a lot.

49318474438_22e4ce0b15_c.jpg

The plastic rod I did have I used for the smaller vent pipes.

49318474433_d4677755c7_c.jpg

Then my old stand by of thread for wiring.

• Like 3

49319174517_e2e1e5d2ff_c.jpg

The rear bay framing is now complete also. Communication tube complete front to back. To get the windows in I drilled out the center of the tube as it was solid carved out the windows and added some thin plastic from some tossed out blister pack.

Then added the bomb racks for the 19000 K tallboys

• Like 4

49318474498_b2019b8810_c.jpg

Then finally the rear bay bracing with the added access ladder to the upper rear turrets. This is the last of the major work on the fuselage, I think.

Now I can concentrate on the crackling finish on the non NMF section, from there installing the cockpit windows, front gear, bay doors, ordinance, observer bubbles and decals.

Then gently put it up and covered until the wings are finished.

• Like 3