1/48 Hph B-36 SAC Part1

15 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Ouch! That's an interesting development. Whomever did that should be sacked. In fact those in charge of the sacking should also be sacked.

I sent that picture to HPH and they promptly sent the correct wing. I was very happy with how they handled the problem. I am worried though that someone has a kit with 2 right wings!:oops:

Edited by Nachtwulf
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Nachtwulf said:

I sent that picture to HPH and they promptly sent the correct wing. I was very happy with how they handled the problem. I am worried though that someone has a kit with 2 right wings!:oops:

That was my thoughts when I saw the picture, and the thought "this does not bode well."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Did you stand on a ladder ? Or maybe you were in a loft ? 

Nope didn't stand on a ladder, but I was definitely at my limit in trying to get all 3 in the shot. I'm 6'4. Had to tippy toe a bit . didn't have room for step stool or ladder.

• Like 2

I have the front and rear instrument panels started. Dials, gauges and switches laid out. I'll drill out smaller pieces of plastic  then build out from there.

48127004576_7da69313d6_z.jpg

• Like 2

These parts are just as messy as The Beast, But this time I learned and wore my face mask and looser clothing so the fibreglass didn't bother me as much.

48127008291_d31c9e9e5a_z.jpg

48127097227_a274df5a4d_z.jpg

There will still be a lot of sanding on the seams but now where near as bad as the B-70.

• Like 2

The flaps I'll remove after I finish cutting out the various exhaust ports. I might damage the wing otherwise since its all hollow with no supports.

The large square cutouts are for the front and rear 20mm  turrets. One of the areas of the build I kinda deviated from the instructions. Well that and the flaps. The front turrets should be interesting to build because thats the same  same area the the nose weights, disks actually. will go.. I'm glad they provided the weights. I measured them and each disk weighs about 250 gms each!

Anybody thats interested, here are best reference works I've found for both these aircraft. Definitely helpful no matter what scale you're building in.

48127542812_562e0c9dee_z.jpg

48127482098_c2b9143c73_z.jpg

48127482103_1e4170feae_z.jpg

48127482113_ffaa90d5f9_z.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Loren

Glad to see you haven't forgotten about these builds!

I did, however, get a bit worried when I saw this pic...

I was thinking "Loren is sure letting his standards slip if this is the BEST he can do...." 😉

Then I read the text - so I'm happier knowing there's more to come!

Despite the fact that I've started 'lots' of models and finished only one (so far) this year - I still succumbed to a great deal at the weekend and ended up as the new owner of these :

spacer.png

Tiny, in your terms, as they're all 1/144th scale but should make an interesting line-up. I already have an early BOAC liveried 747 kit from the same Welsh Models 'Skyliner' series. Lots of lovely vacform practice for me - will be most useful as I also acquired a Dynavector 1/48th Sea Vixen this week. 🙂

Looking forward to seeing more of your work on the SAC beauties.

Kev

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, modelman182 said:

Ooh... who are the publishers of the B-47 book, please? I could do with a good ref for my old Hasegawa 1/72 kit.

Kev

The publisher was Specialty Press, Don't know if its still in print, but heres the ISBN #1-58007-071-X 276 pages Alwyn T. Lloyd author. It's a heavy book. If you need any other interior shots let me know. I have bunches of the front and read landing bays and the Bomb bay.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, modelman182 said:

Hi Loren

Glad to see you haven't forgotten about these builds!

I did, however, get a bit worried when I saw this pic...

I was thinking "Loren is sure letting his standards slip if this is the BEST he can do...." 😉

Then I read the text - so I'm happier knowing there's more to come!

Despite the fact that I've started 'lots' of models and finished only one (so far) this year - I still succumbed to a great deal at the weekend and ended up as the new owner of these :

spacer.png

Tiny, in your terms, as they're all 1/144th scale but should make an interesting line-up. I already have an early BOAC liveried 747 kit from the same Welsh Models 'Skyliner' series. Lots of lovely vacform practice for me - will be most useful as I also acquired a Dynavector 1/48th Sea Vixen this week. 🙂

Looking forward to seeing more of your work on the SAC beauties.

Kev

Those will make excellent builds doesn't matter about the size. I have a DV Sea Vixen in the stash. We should start a group build with them. 😉

I wanted to lay out placement of the gauges from the few closeups of the panels that I do have. More correct than the panels that come with the kit.

Thanks Loren - just had a quick search and can only find it through US outlets - AND it's a little pricey with shipping (as it's a hefty tome, I guess) 🙂

I'll be happy to glean some shots from you, if that's okay? I'll PM you with my email addy.

Many Thanks

Kev

No worries Kev anything you want you got. Have Scanner Will Travel. NOt only heafty, but it's a collectable volume too. It took me a while to get my hands on one that I didn't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to be able to buy. Still wasn't cheap then but so far has been worth every pence.

One of the nice things about this build,both the 36 and 47 used the same engine and pods and rear tail gun. so I'm going to try to master new pieces for the 47 from the resin 36 pieces. Of course I may still end up building them from scratch.

Good Evening Mr. and Mrs. Britain and all the ships at sea! Flash! I think I've finished the office, at least as far as stuffing in as much detail that will never be seen except right here.

48184142536_6072e9538b_z.jpg

48184203727_f0f92c9a92_z.jpg

PLease excuse the flash, with out it even with a desklamp was too dark. but at least you can see the detail😉

48184142521_5d8c7b8d7a_z.jpg

48184247076_b4a49a4a4f_z.jpg

• Like 7

Surprisingly, the thing ACTUALLY FITS in the fuselage. Sometimes I scare myself. Probably more detail than is needed, but oh well, seemed like the proper thing to do under the circumstances. I'll let this now properly dry ,and wash a whole bunch of resin parts.😫 Oh The Joys.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 10:18 AM, Nachtwulf said:

Look at it this way, You do have a good start on  a 1/48 XC-99😉

• Haha 2

Interior construction of the Big Stick,. The instructions wanted me to start with the wings but, nah not yet. So I'm starting off with the lower office. After cleaning lots of flash and bits of resin slag applying a bunch of brass.

48233973171_b09788a3cc_z.jpg

48233972791_466441f503_z.jpg

Now the white box in the kit looks like a stand/bookshelf, but in actuality was the forward galley/break station. so out with that and a few bits of card and voila! one stainless steel break area.

48233972411_2109dcaa94_z.jpg

• Like 3